Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-29-2013, 03:39 PM

Default Bigsur new year karma tradition

The last few years my New Years day tradition for the next years fishing karma
Is to go fish. The amount of time fishing or number of casts does not matter, it's simply
getting a line wet at least once on New Years day and setting the tone for the coming year!
The past couple of years I have fished the Clinch, but with the flows so unpredictable due to rrain I have decided to move it to Metcalf Bottoms lpicnic area in the Smokies.

I invite anyone to stop by between 1:00 and 3:00 pm throw a line and get your fishing karma on for 2014. This is the very description of unorganized and unsponsered by any group, just fishin fools gathering for a minute of casting and telling tall tales and outright lies. I fished Elkmont yesterday so be prepared for any kind of weather, it's the Smokies and it's winter, conditions can change in a minute. NOAA is showing upper 40's and sunny but take that with a grain of salt.

I will bring a bag of charcoal for anybody who wants to bring something to throw on a grill, or drink. Note: Its bring your own for food or drink! Look for a black Camry or green 4Runner and stop and wet a line. If you need directions just ask on here whether it's just me or 25 stop by and start the year in fine fishin fashion!

RAIN OR SHINE

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Last edited by bigsur; 12-30-2013 at 03:35 PM..
Old 12-30-2013, 08:04 AM

I don't think my wife has anything planned for us then. As long as it stays that way, I'll swing by.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:28 AM

Talking

If I didn't have family plans already, I would have loved to meet you for this

Although with the water level and temp, I might have shown up in my boat.

I know it's pretty shallow there, but be careful with the Little being up so high .

Happy New Year to all
Old 12-30-2013, 11:19 AM

Buzz, sounds great I'll have coffee on, ducky, hope you have a great New Year. we will watch the flow, it may be bankside high sticking but that's okay, still counts for New Year tradition. Of course anybody in the area that day is more than welcome, no stress, no fuss just settin the tone for 2014!

Old 12-30-2013, 02:54 PM

It does sound like a good time is in "the offing" - wish I lived within a short drive of GSMNP. We stayed in a cabin on Walland (Old Walland?) Road for a few days before and on Christmas last week, but did not unpack my gear because the flow/level was so high - of course, it looked to be at a manageable flow/level the morning we had to leave but that's the way it is sometimes. I believe the river set a new high on flow one of those days and it was "ugly brown" when we got there.
oh, well, hope all enjoyed a Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year - just leave some feesh in the water for when this flat-lander can get back to the Park, hopefully, this coming spring.
FishStu
Old 12-31-2013, 03:13 PM

Last minute shout out weather looks great for tomorrow, sunny and the temps possibly afternoon highs mid 50's. If you are near the Metcalf picnic area New Years Day around 1:00 to 3:00 pm stop by for a New Years cast , coffee's on!

Sidenote:
No tradition is complete without a contest, the person wth the largest verifiable fish caught that day at Metcalf will receive a brand new, never worn, black baseball cap emblazoned with the logo: "Herb's Welding Shop, Maryville, TN", and a laurel and hardy handshake from Bigsur!

Last edited by bigsur; 12-31-2013 at 07:19 PM..
Old 12-31-2013, 09:54 PM

Default Good Luck

Hope the trout are biting for you tomorrow. Happy new year!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:27 PM

I'm jealous. My annual New Years Day trek to the Wisconsin spring ponds had to be cancelled because of all the snow.
Bigsur it's a great way to start the year and the great way to spread good karma. I hope all of you had a great day on the water. Happy New Year Everybody.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:52 AM

Talking

Any fish? Any fish bigger than the cigar you were smoking?
Curious minds need to know.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:32 PM

How did it go?

The last few years have seen the Caney generating 24/7 this time of year, so the old tradition of catching a few on New Years hasn't worked out.

Anyone else fish yesterday?

steve