Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Salmon and Steelhead

Old 01-05-2015, 12:16 AM

Default Christmas Steel

With the holidays upon us it not only gives me an opportunity to get together with friends and family but I also now take advantage of the fact that my family lives extremely close to some of the best steelhead fishing around. Luckily I found some time to hop in one of my favorite Lake Erie tribs for a few hours on the drive home from Christmas in Rochester. It was a cold day on the stream but when you have the chance to hook up with a steelhead, it can sure make up for it. Not many bites at all really and so I was fortunate to have a couple fish for a photo session. Unfortunately I think I am done chasing NY fish until spring... good thing it is only three months away...

About as fresh as they come...

Definitely a nice fish for the stream...

Tight Lines,
Old 01-05-2015, 09:34 AM

Talking

Nice report

I thought you should have a big grin in that last shot, maybe it was cold, but you look almost pissed off
Old 01-05-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
I thought you should have a big grin in that last shot, maybe it was cold, but you look almost pissed off
It's called being in the zone...

I will say that I am tired of the cold though as well... looking forward to hopefully some early season warm weather along with some nice hatches in the mountains. Keeping fingers crossed...

Tight Lines,
Old 01-06-2015, 10:57 PM

Good stuff. Are you swinging flies? What kind of setup are you using?

I just got a 7 wt switch rod with a couple lines (Rio Skagit and Switch) and am obsessing over a return trip to Norcal/Oregon next month. I went for the first time last year and was undergunned in a major way with a 6 weight.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 PM

Not swinging yet but soon...
I'm currently putting together a 7wt skagit setup with wulff ambush for the upcoming season. Right now I'm primarily nymphing mostly with eggs. For the smaller Erie tribs I go fairly light with my 4/5wt trout switch. That rod makes the average fish a blast and the occasional bruiser a handful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghaircaddis View Post
I went for the first time last year and was undergunned in a major way with a 6 weight.
I definitely hear you on this... no more messing around for me either. It will be standard issue 7/8wt switch/spey for me from here on out, especially in the heavier flows over on Ontario. Wish I was going to Norcal/Oregon next month! Make sure to post some pics if you can...

Tight Lines,