Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-22-2014, 06:47 PM

Default Pisgah Blueline 8-22

Managed to sneak out a little early at work today so I headed into Pisgah to hit up a blue line that I haven't been to in some time, probably 6 years or so. Worked out great since this is the hottest day of the year out here and this stream is up high. I've heard scuttlebutt about this stream taking a nosedive due to a drought and then flood, but wanted to see for myself as this stream had some healthy brookies.

Started out in the heat of the day, about 1, with a never sink caddis and a yellarhammer dropped below. I don't think this has ever happened before, but on the very first cast I caught this guy off the yellarhammer!

He was healthy!

I moved upstream catching fish about every good drift, it was turning out to be a banner day! All of the sudden, the fish just turned off and I moved for a good half hour with nothing. A little frustrated, I stopped to have some lunch and just enjoy the scenery.

After my break, I found out why the fishing was slow. There was someone upstream who had hopped in front of me after I walked downstream to start at the point the trail hit the stream. That was weird, I have heard of very few people fishing this stream. I hit up a good sized tributary upstream just a bit in hopes of getting some fish who weren't spooked and immediately started hooking up again. Fish were split on the dry and dropper, with your standard brookie size, nothing spectacular.

All in all, a great trip. I wasn't sure what to expect with the temps being so warm but the fish cooperated!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:39 PM

Those look like some healthy brookies! Looking for one of those blue lines sounds like an interesting challenge.

Last edited by TNflyfishing; 08-23-2014 at 09:03 AM..
Old 08-23-2014, 08:56 AM

Craig, I see you're in Hendersonville NC now. You fish the upper Nantahala? I used to love the standing indian area 30 years ago, but haven't been up there in a while.

steve
Old 08-23-2014, 10:15 AM

No I've never really made it over that way. Since we moved out here, we haven't ventured much further west than Pisgah, but we actually may head out that way today. There's definitely lots of water left to explore........
Old 08-23-2014, 03:17 PM

Default welcome back

Nice report. Glad to see you back on here.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:38 PM

Talking

That's a beautiful Brookie which alone would make the day

That water sure looks good, I need to venture more in NC

Thanks for the report and keep them coming
Old 08-25-2014, 08:16 AM

Glad you're back on here.
Nice report.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:22 PM

Looks like a great trip along with some beautifully water. That brook trout in picture number one is a nice sized fish.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:06 AM

Thats a beauty!! I'm a little familiar with that area but haven't been there but a couple of times. I have some friends who live nearby. I have seen right many Grouse up there and been thinking about taking my bird dog out there one season.