Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 07-12-2014, 10:57 AM

Question Shoes or sandals?

We will be in the Smokies towards the end of this month!! Finally I'm going to get my Smoky fix ;-) Anyway, would you prefer wading shoes or sandals? I can't afford to spend a lot on this since it'll be only for a few days so I'll most likely be headed to walmart. I am not a big fan of Walmart, so if any of you guys know of something else I'm definitely for it. I'm really leaning towards sandals but I want a pair that cover up your toes. A mashed toe does not seem to fun to me. :-)

Thanks in advance,
hNt
Old 07-12-2014, 08:08 PM

I don't fish the smokies anymore, but I do wet wade a ton. I would never and I mean never wear sandals wading. No traction on slck rocks is a problem, but a toe nail being removed sucks.

There's a million reasons sandals suck to wade in IMO
Old 07-12-2014, 09:20 PM

Have waded (foolishly) in sandals and I'm with waterwolf on this one. Definitely closed toed shoes. Preferably wading boots as Smokies streams are slicker than snot this time of year. The lack of rain means the streams are not getting much of a flushing and the rocks are accumulating the slippery stuff. If you cannot afford felt soled wading boots (which I HIGHLY recommend), then expect to fall some. I have heard of people gluing carpet on the bottom of some old tennis shoes and that might work but have not tried it myself... Ankle support is another benefit of the boots so the tennis shoe or wading shoe thing will have its limitations.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 07-13-2014, 12:39 AM

Many of the old timers used to use carpet glued to an old pair of smooth soled work boots or an old pair of tennis shoes. A piece of that green/indoor out door carpet seemed to work best. The first pair of wading shoes I wore were made made for me, an old pair of Converse High-Top tennis shoes with indoor/outdoor carpet.

You can also buy a felt replacement kit instead of using carpet. I had an old pair of LL Bean type boots with the rubber feet and leather uppers that I made into wading boots and used them until the rubber dry rotted.

You can find a felt kit for 20 bucks or less. http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Hodgm...eplacement-Kit

Just be sure to scuff up the soles with something like 60 grit sand paper or a grinder so the glue holds well.

Last edited by Backtrax; 07-13-2014 at 12:55 AM..
Old 07-13-2014, 03:44 AM

Smile Used boots

The one thing they I feel is VERY important is ankle support and neither sandals nor sneekers will give you any........ I've waded the Park streams for over 50 years and I've always worn boots........ you might check some local fly shops to see if they might have rental boots they will sell....or ebay... just food -for-thought
Old 07-13-2014, 02:27 PM

Our two cents worth...... Boots by far over sandals. I have even used a closed toe water sandal and the style just allows too many little rocks and pebbles to get between the footbed and the bottom of your foot.I don't like to fish or wade and feel like I got multiple shots at a doctors office!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:44 AM

As my ex-wife and mother of my first child will tell you, SUPPORT IS GOOD!

Seriously, Smokies streams are hazardous and you should do all you can to protect your feet and ankles. Scrimp on $ somewhere else.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:03 AM

I use these simms when I wet wade. Had to put aluminum cleats on them, they work great.

http://www.backcountry.com/simms-str...FesRMwodoVoAvA
Old 07-16-2014, 01:30 PM

And it is just not the rivers...climbed out of the stream at Greenbrier just below the footbridge to Ramsey...had been sprinking that morning...Sat. before Easter...stepped on a wet rock on dry land and was gone...broke the humerus in my casting shoulder and still cannot fish or play golf...almost three months...getting old is for the birds.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:53 PM

Had the biggest brown of my life shoot downstream in a run right past me. I was wading in sandals. Tried to chase the fish. Slipped on a rock, accidently put tension in the line while the drag was singing, tippet snapped, & off she went.

I'll never fish in sandals again.