Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-23-2014, 05:09 PM

Default Cold Water Hook-ups

I was sittings here thinking about our current fishing or should I say non-fishing situation. The water is crazy cold for trout and down right dangerous for us. I was wondering " what's the coldest water that you have ever caught trout from."
I fished the park about 14 or fifteen years ago and caught not one but two from 33 degree water. They were about as surprised as I was.
Lynn
Old 01-23-2014, 08:16 PM

I fished Tremont when the water temp was 30 degrees, the river was frozen except for a 5 foot wide swath in the deeper current. Also the water was gin clear. You could see every fish but they would not eat. One of only a few times I've been skunked in the park, it was stupid and dangerous to even attempt fishing that day.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:24 AM

Smile

Bald River in January after paddling the Tellico a few years ago, I was pleasantly surprised to catch 6 trout. Water temp was 36 degrees, but I was in a sunny area.

I don't know whether I'm smarter or less dedicated now, but now I tend to only go out when things are 44+, and don't really have any expectations till water if 48-50 degrees
Old 01-24-2014, 04:21 PM

The pool I fished was in direct sunlight too. Maybe the sun felt good on their backs.
Lynn
Old 01-25-2014, 10:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

32-33 degrees at Metcalf. Had to fish between the ice flows. I'm not sure how many I caught but it was more than 1...
Old 01-26-2014, 06:32 PM

I'm just not that willing to stand in ice water just to "maybe" catch a fish or two anymore. I'm fine with cleaning and maintaining my gear, tying flies, and reading about fishing. Not to say that I haven't in the past Besides I don't want to end up with my photo on some website like these poor critters.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ish-moose.html

Last edited by flyman; 01-26-2014 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
Old 01-26-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
I'm just not that willing to stand in ice water just to "maybe" catch a fish or two anymore. I'm fine with cleaning and maintaining my gear, tying flies, and reading about fishing. Not to say that I haven't in the past Besides I don't want to end up with my photo on some website like these poor critters.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ish-moose.html
At first I kinda chuckled then realized that could be me. It had to freeze pretty quick. Almost suspended animation.
Lynn
Old 01-27-2014, 10:31 AM

This day at Tremont felt brutally cold. It was windy as well. From Townsend, the gate was closed at the turn to Elkmont and you couldn't get past the gate up to Cades Cove to get to Abrams. The gate at the institute was closed as well. Questionable stream thermometer read 33*. I managed 1 fish in about 2 hours. I think my nymph might have just drifted right into its mouth and hooked itself.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:57 PM

Old 01-28-2014, 09:42 PM

Beautiful rainbow. I think that the two hours you spent in the cold \may have been worth it for that rainbow.
If ice fishing counts I've caught rainbow stockers through the ice. While i was unable to measure the temperature it's safe to say that the water temp. had to be below 40.