Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-06-2014, 11:31 AM

Default F/M Southern Trout--Off to Winston-Salem today

The Feb/Mar issue of Southern Trout is up for view (www.southerntrout.com). It burst the seams at 206 pages. The next issue will be parred back a bit, as the tribe is close to rebellion. I don't understand their carping, but then I don't partake of the work, so I suppose they have a point.
Today we're off to the Fly Fishing Show in Winston-Salem. I hope to see some of you there. I have restocked the cigar jar, so if you come by, please allow me to give you a smoke. The show there is pretty good. I'll report on the show if I make it back.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:29 AM

Default Winston-Salem fun

The Fly Fishing Show at Winston-Salem was a nice time--cooperative weather and as urban areas go, it is a great town to visit. We signed up a lot of new folks and meet a lot of old friends. Word on the Museum of Southern Appalachian Fly Fishing is that work as slowed a bit thanks to the lawyers, but the project is still alive. No pun intended, but I think it is one of those deals with too many chiefs and not enough Indians...

Some welcomed respite here. No trips until leaving for to the White in early March. Thereafter we have the VA Fly & Wine and Thunder Valley Fly & Wine in April. Still undecided if we will launch a second magazine in July to coincide with the ICAST show in Orlando. Would like to, but need more chiefs and a couple more Indians. We are blessed that STM is humming along about as fast as we can keep up with it. Thank you all.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:51 AM

It was a very good show. I meant to stop by but I have never been so busy as this show. I'm sure most of that had to do with the fact that i was tying at the same table with legendary Catskills tier Dave Brant. Sharing a table with him made it hard leave the area. I was trying to soak up as much information from him as possible. It was like a history lesson in fly fishing in America.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:24 AM

Default Winston Sow

Flyman, I stopped by to chat with Dave since I had not seen him since the Charlotte Show. You, Dave and I had a conversation on grits as well as fly tying. I had no idea you were Flyman from the Forum. Spending time with Dave anyone can learn a ton about fly tying and the history of our sport. I've always come away with a tip or idea on improving my tying. It was good to meet you. Wish you the best.

Hal M
Old 02-16-2014, 03:17 PM

Small world isn't it ? I remember the grits story. I can't remember who we were talking about, but I do remember he said when ask if he wanted any " yea I'll try one" Dave is a great guy and his wife is just as nice. He was personal friends with Lee Wulff, Art Flick, Fran Betters and just about every other tier and fisherman from the area which I consider the birth place of American fly fishing. It was a great experience for me. It was nice to meet you and too bad we didn't make the common connection we share. I tie at a couple of their shows and some other odd and end places so hopefully we will cross paths again.