Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 04-23-2014, 03:37 PM

Question Poppers..

I've liked smallmouth fishing for a while, but I never have gotten serious with it.. I now spend a lot of time in Middle Tennessee and want to really get going with the smallies. I've started making cork poppers out of wine corks, but I can't figure out what is best to use for the hackle/tail.. I need suggestions! I've seen lots of will colored hackles I like a lot, but can't figure out where to to find that stuff.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:19 PM

I have that same problem. I have a few poppers on which I've completed the painting, but haven't finished the tail sections. Here's about the best I've been able to do so far.

If you're in Nashville area, try Fly South or Cumberland Transit for booger hackle or other materials. Or call Daniel at LRO.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:32 PM

Good looking popper there Stonefly. Agree with the Bugger packs or Tyer grade feathers that don't have a high barb count.

Grumpy
Old 04-25-2014, 01:19 PM

I use whiting rooster capes in bright colors. I have several colors of the dyed grizzly. A cape will last for years and tie many poppers and sliders. I also use schlappen hackle on big poppers for a more webby hackle. Marabou is my favorite for tails but I also like to use antron
Dyed grizzly in chart green

Shlappen hackle

Old 04-25-2014, 02:13 PM

Those are some good looking bugs!

Email Punk

http://lastdrifteffort.blogspot.com
Old 04-26-2014, 07:42 AM

Nice looking poppers!

Have you ever tried using old fly line for legs? It is fabulous and floats very nice...I have a friend who ties a popper with cork and uses a 2-3" piece of fly line tied to a marabou tail. He tells me it gives it more action in the water and allows the tail to sink a bit more. However; he did mentioned it fouled the rig at times after a hard cast.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-28-2014, 07:56 PM

Troutman thanks a lot! Those bugs look great. I talked to some guys here at a fly shop in Nashville that I found and ended up going with strung hen feathers, at least I think thats what I grabbed.. I'll look into what you said as well though because I'm on a college kid budget and something that will last a long time sounds great to me.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:16 AM

For a budget friendly topwater fly for bass and panfish, you should learn to tie stealth bombers. 2 mm craft foam sheets are less than a dollar, bucktail is about $5.00, rubber legs are cheap if you buy spinnerbait skirts. Thread and glue , and your hook .You can go print off a pattern sheet from Kent Edmonds site flyfishga.com