Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 03-14-2014, 01:21 AM

Default Simple foam caddis

Can't remember the site to give credit to whoever tied this but I clipped this pic couple of months ago.

Basically like a simpler, no collar, Neversink type caddis, looks killer to me, going to try some out.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:38 PM

The caddis does look good. What is the thickness of the foam?
Mike
Old 03-15-2014, 03:56 PM

I don't know. Maybe I'll dig around tonight and see if I can find original post.

I am going to tie some in 3mm foam.

Figured I'd tie some in yellow, lime green and black and be covered for some warm water smallie fishing (almost here).

None of my flies look like works of art and I've always been drawn to the guide flies - simple, easy to tie, durable, cheap but effective, we'll see on this one.

Last edited by Slider; 03-17-2014 at 07:37 PM..
Old 03-16-2014, 01:19 AM

I'll have to get some thicker foam and tie me a few. simple ties are for me for sure. The pic of the one you sent does look great. You said you like to fish for smallies. I got into them last year and am looking forward to the time when they should pickup again. By warm water , are you talking about lakes or rivers. Reason I ask is that I got into some good smallie fishing last year on the upper Clinch. Have you ever fished up there? I'm not trying to get you to divulge any of your honey holes, but I'm looking for someone to maybe hookup with to float that stretch with. Lot of the guys I fish with stick strictly with trout.

Mike
Old 03-16-2014, 07:46 AM

Hey
slider, Just noticed that you live in NW Al. Kind of hard to hookup for an afternoon float, huh. I uses to spend a good bit of time in the Shoals area.

Mike
Old 03-16-2014, 02:56 PM

Only fish for trout when I am lucky enough to get up there.

We have some of the best smallie fishing in the country right here and I love it, but trout and the mountains are special. I pretty much only float and wade creeks here too.

I did find the site last nght that I originally found that from and it didn't have any specs for it, it was on FAOL and he was looking for alternatives to foam indicators. You can google "foam indicator caddis" and you'll find it, but 3mm looks right to me. There are a few other pretty good looking patterns in the same article/post too.

Last edited by Slider; 03-17-2014 at 07:37 PM..
Old 03-17-2014, 01:33 AM

Looks good to me. Simple and quick to tie.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:59 AM

BTW, I'm saying 3mm because I will be tying it on a size 6 hook for smallies, for something for trout I would do on a 12 or 14 hook and 2mm may match the hook size better.

Last edited by Slider; 03-17-2014 at 07:38 PM..
Old 03-17-2014, 05:30 PM

I have a bunch tied that way because I was looking for a fast easy dry. I mainly only give them to newbies that I take are just learning, because they are so disposable and I can make several dozen for them to lose in the trees, etc, but I don't use them as much - they do not float as well in the smokies streams as a never sink with hackle (esp when fishing fast runs/riffles) and require more frequent dressing. They also don't support a big dropper very well. But they definitely work decently when used solo.

One more thing - take that pattern and add legs and you have an easy small hopper pattern that is good in the summer when all those tiny hoppers are everywhere.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:42 PM

I forgot I had tied something similar last year when I was working on my foam EHC. Main difference is I also wrapped the hook in foam. I was looking for a pic of a foam hopper I had saved and found these.

I still plan to tie up a few for spring.