Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-16-2014, 09:02 PM

Default Fishing Report - Clinch - 16 Feb with a Great Guide and Ducky Paddler

We arrived on the River Rd at about 8 a.m.. The road was covered in snow. As we launched the boat, a group had driven all the way from Ohio to fly fish and after chatting we drifted on the the river with Cpt. Michael Cox (tnrockyraccoon@yahoo.com) on the oars.

Duckypaddler new to the streamer fishing casted like a mad man all day. Between the two of us we casted 10 - 15 different streamers to water that was 41 degrees with 2 turbines running. Hard work!! Plus he rowed the boat 1/2 the day!!

At approximately 12 p.m. in tough conditions we hadn't boated a fish yet. We spoke to kayakers who were fishing and two other boats all with no luck.

Rocky prepared one of the best stream side lunches I have ever ate. Smoked tender loin, mustard potato salad and baked beans. A great meal after hard fishing for 4 hrs..

We were optimistic this day because the 2 largest trout I have ever caught came from Rockys' boat and he also taught me how to streamer fish. Thank You - Rocky.

Finally 15 minutes before take out, water falling, Rocky recommended the Wooly Bugger and we hooked up!!

Rocky, thanks for being one of the Best Guides I have ever met and Ducky for trying something new in tough conditions.

These pics from Thursday while fishing the Hiwassee.

Thank You,

Breck
Old 02-16-2014, 11:54 PM

That"s a nkce fish Breck in any condition, sorry I missed you guys. I worked second shift on the Clinch with the wading crew. I have some wildlife pics which helped take the sting off a tuff but beautiful day!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 02-17-2014, 11:12 AM

Absolutely beautiful scenery and not to mention a beautiful rainbow. The one trout alone made the trip worth it.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:22 AM

Talking Thanks for a great day

I would like to give a big thanks to Rocky and Breck for a great day out on the water

Took the back roads into Miller - Still looked like Winter

We soon got to the river. Rocky and Breck prepared the boat while I tried to stay out of the way.

Apparently pics of Big Browns on the internet make Ohio fisherman drive many miles for a small chance of action

Nice day to be on the water, even if I didn't catch a fish

Rocky, who spend as much time as anyone in a drift boat, finally got a chance to fish. I knew I sucked at streamer fishing, but after watching him I knew I REALLY sucked. Whoever said slapping the water brought out the fish must have had good technique after the initial cast. All my slapping and lousy retrieval couldn't even get a follow

Streamer fishing is hard work. Today I'm much more sore in shoulders and neck. It took me most of the day to get used to all that weight. Rocky was very kind to keep giving me pointers. I had only tried streamer fishing 2 times before. First was with Grampus Jim and after 40 minutes I knew it was real work while wading, and promptly quit. The second time was with BFish on the HI. In a boat it was much better, but I still wasn't able to land one that day just follows.

Today was my first day fishing any form of articulated streamers and sinking line. I was somewhat glad "conditions" were tough though. That way I could rationalize my crappy performance instead of knowing how lousy a streamer fisherman I really am. At least I can only get better

Ooh, and Breck was WAY TOO KIND. I only had the oars maybe 20% of the time. Even during that short period of time I managed to almost crash into the side during Breck's "Catch of the Day" while Rocky had to jump in and bail me out. Moving the drift boat wasn't hard other than the fact you do the complete opposite of what I do while paddling whitewater. I'm so used to powerful moves needed in 3/4 whitewater that I forgot I was on Class 1 all day.

Rocky's smoked pork tenderloin was most excellent, and one could get used to eating like that on the river. Sure beat a granola bar and some water.

Now I'm ready to go back and maybe land a fish

Great day with great people from our forum. I'm glad to have the opportunity to fish with so many of you, and look forward to fishing with more of you in 2014.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:16 PM

Breck,
Great to see you out there with fellow LRO friends and sharing your beautiful boat. My crew fished Sunday and the fish were deep and on the bottom. If you were fishing European rigs; then, you had the perfect setup. I believe the moon phase and the barometer had them pushed down. Awesome photos and ambassadorship for fly fishing....
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-24-2014, 10:29 AM

Man! What a voyage! What a crew! Puts the SS Minnow to shame. What's next? Alaska? Great report, Breck. Thanks for sharing.
– JF