Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-07-2014, 10:58 PM

Default Christened the new bamboo

After watching the temperature rising on the USGS flow gage link, and clearing my calendar for the afternoon I decided to leave the office around 11:30 and head for the mountains. My goal was to land my first trout with the 3 weight bamboo I built last winter. My plan was to head straight to a spot that ALWAYS produces this time of year. I saw very few vehicles on Little River Road, but to my disappointment a vehicle was parked at the pull out where I planned to start. A closer look and I realized it was the whole Rutter family - Ian, his wife and a little boy up on Ian's shoulders all of them headed down the road. I'm glad I didn't get there first. I bet they had a good afternoon and landed a few there. Here's the "secret" spot.

At my next stop I geared up and got down to the stream, and of course, it's one of the laws of flyfishing that once you get your waders on, you'll immediately have to pee. So I piled up my stuff and slipped out of view from the highway.

It wasn't long before the new rod bent with a stout 11 inch 'bow.

The crazy thing was, that as I brought this fish in close I bent down just in time to see one of the giant Little River browns follow the rainbow right up to the tips of my boots, make a mad swipe at the fish, then turn and disappear into the bottom of the pool. It was a crazy moment. Ironically, this was the spot where I landed my first Little River trout almost 10 years ago, a 16"" brown.

All in all a nice afternoon. Saw some risers, caught a few nice fish, and officially broke in the new rod. Gotta love spring time in the mountains.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:43 PM

Great post and glad you beat the weekend crowd, like ypu when I run up on the guides I try to give them space. I figure they are fishing for a living, I am jjust living to fish! Of course knowing their holes never guaranteed I'll get one either.

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 03-08-2014, 02:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

I think I know that secret spot! It the one with the rock...and that laurel...by the thing...in all seriousness very nice bow. I'm glad someone is getting to fish...think I'll go sulk for a bit..
Old 03-08-2014, 09:19 AM

Nice report. I see you liking that new fishing pole.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:47 AM

Nice one!! Glad that Brown didn't grab him and make a run on that 3 wt.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
Nice one!! Glad that Brown didn't grab him and make a run on that 3 wt.
As am I. I do believe that Brown would have come out on top. I would guess she was easily a 20 " fish. It would have been fun trying to land her though. I'm really enjoying the bamboo journey so I would have hated to see my little three weight done in so early in its life. I've got a 5.weight I built last year. Maybe I'll carry it next time I fish that spot.