Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-06-2014, 09:23 AM

I have had three waders in the last six years. I finally bit the bullet last spring and got the Simms G3's from Paula at LRO. By far the best I have ever used. They fit better and are oh so comfortable. With my other waders I always felt like the wilted Goodyear blimp in the water. Not so with the G3's. Since there isn't excess cloth flapping in the current the wading is a little easier. But since the fit is just right I cannot afford to gain much more weight or I'll need a girdle to get them on! Can't beat their warranty too.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:11 PM

One note from my experience. The fabric-style (Gore-tex, or are nylon coated with water resistant chemicals) is going to degrade in performance with use. So; the more you use them; the more they degrade. Also; factors like fit and wear-tear play a big factor in their longevity.

The high tech fabric is more expensive than other materials.

In general; you pay for what you get. The higher priced waders include a better warranty and more comfortable fit. I generally go through a pair of waders about every 8-12 months. I am currently using the Simms G3 Waders and they are fabulous for my needs. However; I do have a small leak in the left knee. Simms is a great company and they have addressed all my warranty/repair issues with my satisfaction. I like this type of support and desire their excellent customer service.

One brand that has captured my interests are the Orvis Sonic Waders. I may try a pair the next time I upgrade.

I suggest anyone that purchases waders to buy a pair the fits well. I have long legs and desire the (L)-Long Fit when I purchase a size. Getting the best fit will help your waders last longer.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-06-2014, 08:12 PM

Madison, I purchased a pair of the Orvis Silver Sonic waders last July. I had a pair of LL Bean waders that lasted a lot longer than any waders should, so it took me a long time to decide on what to go with.

The Sonic waders are very affordable compared to other "high-end" waders which was a selling point for me. I have only used these waders less than 15 trips so I still feel like they are new.

I would suggest one thing; however, be careful on the sizing with these. I am right at 6 foot tall and weigh-in around 170 with a size 10.5-11 shoe. I went with a Medium-Long which are supposed to be 5'10"-6'1" tall, weight 140-180, and shoe size 9-11. I probably should have went with just a regular Medium. The M-Long is big on me all around, mainly in the feet. I guess these give me room to grow, even though at this point the only growing will be in the belly.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:56 PM

Bought my first pair of Simms G3 waders at LRO and still going after 5 yrs!!!!!I purchased a 2nd pair just to make sure if I had to send in for repairs I wouldn't be without. I agree 1000% with Shawn and 2 wt. Have also purchased the G3 pants waders and are just as excellent. Have all the Guide jackets and Guide Boots. All superior gear. 2 days a week in one of the above and still going strong. Good Luck and Go Simms!!!!

Breck
Old 03-07-2014, 12:43 AM

I have the sonic seams from Orvis. They were my first pair of waders I've ever bought. I'm entering my second full season with them and they have been great. They are priced well and have a good warranty. They even offer a zipper fly model, albeit more expensive than the regular.