Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-04-2014, 07:37 PM

Default Sams Creek?

Well I guess it's time for my first post. Sometime in the next few months my grandfather and I were going to try and hike up to Sams Creek. Does anyone have any info on trail difficulty, fishing quality, etc. Any help is appreciated!
Old 03-05-2014, 10:32 AM

Trail difficulty is a matter of perspective. Sam's Creek is covered by one of the easiest and most cleared manways - but it's still a non maintained (officially) trail. Anything off trail is a matter of preparation and knowing the area. Without knowing you or your grandfather's physical health, level of activity I can't really say how difficult you would find it.

The fishing can be great, a search of the forum will give you lots of info on trip reports and what the area is like.

I had a great trip up there with Duckypaddler two weekends ago.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:14 PM

As long as there aren't any major gains in elevation or any really difficult stream crossings he shouldn't have any problems. Do you have an idea of the distance? Thanks!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:03 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfisher View Post
As long as there aren't any major gains in elevation or any really difficult stream crossings he shouldn't have any problems. Do you have an idea of the distance? Thanks!
Not really much of an elevation gain if you are used to Smokies stuff. There are 3- 7 crossings depending where you fish and a rock scramble between crossings 2 and 3 where you are hiking up a dry river flood channel. Has lousy footing and plenty of things to climb over, but follows a old RR grade which is pretty easy 80% of time. I've taken old and young people there and it kicked their butt, while others were barely phased and thought it was simple. It's all so relative to what you are used to. I'm guessing distance is 1.5 miles to the bottom end
Old 03-05-2014, 09:22 PM

We have hiked to Abrams falls together without a ton of trouble (it took about 2 hrs but speed isn't a big thing for us). So this sounds easier.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:40 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfisher View Post
We have hiked to Abrams falls together without a ton of trouble (it took about 2 hrs but speed isn't a big thing for us). So this sounds easier.
Its much harder than Abrams. Abrams is much flatter, is perfectly maintained as it's one of the busiest trails in park, has no crossings, and is almost impossible to get lost. If you are not used to walking Smokies manways I would go with someone first who can show you first hand what to do and where to go, then make the decision if it's ok for grandpa. Not trying to discourage you, just want you to be properly prepared. Besides the crossings, grandpa will have to climb over fallen trees a half dozen times, walk through a creek where trail disappears, clinb up a few hundred yards of loose rock (lots of new woobly rocks since last year), and with trail crossing so many times is easy to get on a really old unused path on wrong side.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:55 PM

We might just run up Cosby Creek. It's closer an easier to access.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:16 AM

I've always had more luck on Cosby. Sam's has a large following for such a small stream and every time I've tried it, there's someone already on it. It's the best known brook trout stream in that part of the park with fairly easy access which leads to a lot of traffic. You might have more luck during the week than I have though. Once they reopen Lynn Camp that should relieve some of the pressure on Sam's hopefully.

Tags
sams creek