Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-10-2014, 08:42 AM

Default How did you do Saturday?

I met a friend of mine at Little River Saturday for a few essentials and we were heading to the mountains for what was forecasted to be a perfect day in the Smokies. It was great to see so many people all excited about one of the first warm days to fish. Iíve read posts of Quill Gordon hatches and I was hoping the sun would produce some hatches and the trout would turn on. It seemed that everyone in the shop was headed to Elkmont so we decided instead to try a couple of different areas past Metcalf. The water temperature wasnít perfect but the sun was bright and it just felt good to get on the water. I had a previous engagement and was only able to fish until 3:30 but the dry fly action just hasnít heated up yet. I didnít get so much as a tug on nymphs but I did manage to catch a couple on a Quill Gordon. I saw a few random Quill Gordonís coming off and was shocked to see them make their way across the stream with the trout having no interest in an easy lunch. I also tried a wet Quill as a dropper with zero interest. It appeared to me that only a few fish are really starting to look up. Iím sure had I stayed a little later the hatches would have gotten better but Iím still not convinced the fishing would have.

Perhaps others on this board had better luck than me but I think prime Quill Gordon fishing is still a few weeks away. This was the best fish of the day.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:51 AM

http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/v...76141d224b0f78
Old 03-10-2014, 08:54 AM

Sorry...I'm still terrible with adding the pictures.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:29 PM

I think we went too early in the day - Greenbrier. Caught a handful of brookies on the pink weenie, no action at all on the dry. Water was 44 when we got on the water at 11 am. It was 46 by the time we finished. I think we had started later, it would have been better altogether.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:12 AM

Default Had a slow day myself

Fished Saturday on a stream in a certain valley on the NC side of the park, not far from the house. We got parked and hiked down the creek a ways and were probably on the water around 1:30 or so. Sun was out, saw a few bugs flyin around but nothing crazy. We didnt catch a fish, didnt see a fish, didnt miss a fish. Creek temps topped out at 46 that afternoon but nothing doing. Like youve said, we're still a couple weeks away from it gettin good.

Did have a strange encounter with a gentlemen who was pretty much a pecker head. Came tromping up the creek with waders on but no rod in hand. He wasnt familiar with the area, but wanted to ask questions, yet wouldnt talk flies because it was a 'secret'. When i answered one of his questions stating there were 'bows', among other species, in that particular creek he said 'cutthroats?!'. Wrong side of the mtns buddy, and by that I mean the Rockies lol. And to rub us the wrong way futher more, he continued to tromp thur the creek upstream, right where we were fixin to fish. Not cool. Anyways, sorry for my miny rant..

And if 'ole boy' is on this forum, ya might try and be more friendly on the creek next time. Just a thought
Old 03-11-2014, 09:32 AM

"Pecker head" is too kind a name for that kind of character. One of my all time favorite quotes from the best western made (Lonesome Dove) is from Woodrow Calll - "I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it." I think he would've gotten hooked in his ear on his way tromping on thru the stream.

Mike
Old 03-11-2014, 04:48 PM

Thats a quality movie right there..! One of my all time favorites.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:08 PM

I also fished on Saturday. It was a beautiful day and lots of anglers on the LR. I fished before noon above Elkmont and caught a couple small bows on dry flies before heading downstream about 1 pm. Not a lot of bug activity all day and few risers. Made some adjustments with fly selections and started catching browns. Caught maybe around 20 total with the largest a couple inches longer than the rod handle. I also fished about 4 hrs on Sunday and they were hitting a little better on dries. Water temps were still in the low to mid 40 s both days. It will improve over the next several weeks.