Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-10-2014, 08:25 PM

Default Here for a full week of fly fishing!

Yep, here until Sunday to do nothing (well, I do have to sprinkle in some work) but fly fishing.

Landed today, and promptly drove from the Knox airport to LRO. First time I have ever been to LRO. Biggest fly shop I've ever seen! I picked up some leaders, tippet, and some dry flies.

I went upstairs and met Byron - nice fellow.

Next stop was the grocery store, and it was jam packed with the Spring Break crowd.

Two boxes of ding dongs...check
One giant box of Frosted Flakes...check
One gallon of milk...check
One box of strawberry pop tarts...check
One pound of Starbucks breakfast blend...check
Two breakfast burritos...check
One rising crust frozen pizza...check
3 pack of Movie Theatre Butter popcorn...check

I hate crowds, so I'm going to be on the eastern side of the National Park the entire time. I'll let the crowds have everything from Greenbrier west. That over there is just crazy and not my idea of getting away from it all.

That's ok, because my cabin is in Cosby. Tomorrow, I'm heading over to Big Creek. Never fished it before. Depending on how I like it, I may spend the week alternating between Cosby Creek and Big Creek.

It's possible I will drove over the mountains to Cataloochee, too, though that place is remote so I'm gonna have to pack a lunch!

I will keep everyone updated on my progress.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:09 PM

Husker,

I grew up in Cosby and fished the creek in the park when I was visiting family a few weeks ago. Fished for about an hour in the late afternoon and caught two bows and missed several other fish on the lower section, using a #12 Quill Gordon.

All the activity was in spots where the sun had been on the water for a while.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:42 AM

Hope you have some decent weather and some good fishing. I might go to Catalooch a day or two. You don't have to drive all the way to the valley. If you take the back road over the mountain from Big Ck there is some good fishing to be had at the first bridge you cross Cataloochee Ck. The one where the gaging station is. I have had some pretty good days fishing up and downstream from there. It also would let you avoid the circus the valley has become since the reintroduction of Elk.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
there is some good fishing to be had at the first bridge you cross Cataloochee Ck. The one where the gaging station is. I have had some pretty good days fishing up and downstream from there. It also would let you avoid the circus the valley has become since the reintroduction of Elk.
It was slow fishing down there Sunday. Hope you do better than I did. Im thinkin I wasnt throwin anything small enough. Had no takers on top of bottom all afternoon.. Good luck to ya.