Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-23-2014, 10:45 AM

Default South Holston yesterday

Had a chance to fish the South Holston while my wife visited her mother yesterday. I can't remember when I've seen so many people out on that river! They were parking in the grass at the weir dam parking lot and every pull off along the river was full. I wound up under the bridge at Weaver Pike where I was alone for about an hour until the water receded to a manageable wading dept. Then I started getting lots of company. The only jerk among them was a spin fisherman who walked right in front of me and started casting to an area that effectively closed half of my range. About the time I had had enough of this and was about to tell him what he could do with his Mepps he left.

Three hours of fishing produced half a dozen Browns and one lone Rainbow. The first Brown was perhaps the most beautiful fish I have ever caught, 16" long and gorgeous! The rest ran about 13-14" and almost as pretty. Except for the Rainbow. He looked like a recently released stocker.

The SoHo is always a challenge for me. Find the one and only one thing they are taking and you are golden. But if you don't it's gonna be a long day. Yesterday it was a purple size 20 zebra midge while the sun was out and NO strike indicator. When the sun went behind the clouds they stopped hitting. And when they hit, it was with authority. Except for the constant, cold wind it was a great day.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:26 PM

Glad you got out and had a good time.

Buzz and I spent Thursday and Friday up there fishing, and left yesterday morning around 11AM. Now that I hear how crowded it was, I am glad we did.

Buzz had the "golden fly" as you called it, cause I watched him land between 40 and 50 fish on Friday! My fly was not nearly as productive as his, but I am confident I landed between 20 and 25... I thought we were fishing the same fly, until I inspected his rig a little later. His midge was a little longer and thinner than mine, plus he had a silver bead and I was using black. Sometimes it is the little things that make all the difference.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler