Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 04-02-2014, 05:02 PM

Default Hogs At Little River

Are there hogs at Little River? I saw some tracks I thought were deer but when I got home I saw that hog and deer tracks are similar, these had dew claws.

I think I saw one running up a ridge in thick rhodo, thought it was a bear at first, but then I saw what looked like a little curly tail. It was hard to tell what it was for sure but it was a bear or a hog solid black in color. All I could tell for sure was that it was a solid black animal charging up the ridge through thick vegetation.

I did see a bear this morning on the hike out. It was right at the confluence of the Goshen Prong and Little River Trail. I heard him coming down and when I saw him I hollered at him and he took off full speed back up the ridge. He wanted no part of me.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:51 PM

Yeah, there are a bunch of them up there above Elkmont. You will often find signs of fresh rooting along LR trail above Elkmont. Several years ago, when I was backpacking up there, I ran into a ranger carrying a rifle looking for hogs. Seeing them is much tougher so that's pretty cool if you got to see one. I've only seen them in the Park a couple of times...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-02-2014, 06:57 PM

Thanks, man. Didn't your tent get attacked up there a while back? I stayed at 24 last night and night before.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish4wildtrout View Post
Thanks, man. Didn't your tent get attacked up there a while back? I stayed at 24 last night and night before.
Yeah, that was the same trip I saw the ranger carrying the rifle looking for hogs actually. I talked to him after hurriedly packing and hiking out just before dark. He told me that when they had problems, they put a camera up with a tent. They have video of bears just walking up to the dummy tent there and flopping down on them seemingly for fun and then just walking off. Glad you didn't run into any of those bears on your trip! Are we going to get a fishing report?
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-03-2014, 06:47 AM

No fishing report other than it was slow. I caught 10 the first day, all small rainbows with one being about 7.5 inches. I kept it and gave to the teenager camp neighbor. He had not caught anything and wanted to eat a trout cooked over the fire.

Day two, I caught 12, all small. One legal brown and one legal rainbow.

The other fisherman that came in caught fewer than I did, so I did do better than they did. I think I was maybe a week too early, water was cold and there was snow Sunday night.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:22 AM

I remember last year they had hog traps set up at Tremont Institute area, so not suprised if you saw some higher up. Last night on PBS nature special they were showing reintroduction of predators in parts of the country for balance purpose. One segment was controversial reentry of panthers in Naples, Fl. area to control hogs., I hope that is not an option for the Smokies, tent flopping bears is one thing, but panthers sneak up behind you and bite your neck, crush the vertebrate! They showed one man who was losing livestock, the panther jumps high level fences and than lifts and carries his goats and sheep back over the fence, yikes! I guess you could do what they do in parts of the world with bengal tigers, for years the people working in the brush wear a mask on the back of the head, so the tiger can't tell if they are coming or going because of same type kill method, sneaking up behind prey. If they reintroduce panthers here, I will get a Kardashian mask, that should stop anything.

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 04-03-2014, 01:42 PM

One good thing about an area with a lot of hog activity is you'll rarely run into a yellow jackets nest.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:10 AM

Default hogs

Ran across 2-3 of the buggers Friday night. I need to start hiking louder as I came across them and we were both very startled. One went right off the path and 1-2 went left. The one on the right started to head back and I switched my flashlight from high to strobe. Have always found that mode annoying and unnecessary but it might have stopped a charge. Took me a while and some extra bourbon to get to sleep once I hit camp.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:27 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
Ran across 2-3 of the buggers Friday night. I need to start hiking louder as I came across them and we were both very startled. One went right off the path and 1-2 went left. The one on the right started to head back and I switched my flashlight from high to strobe. Have always found that mode annoying and unnecessary but it might have stopped a charge. Took me a while and some extra bourbon to get to sleep once I hit camp.
When Pigs are startled they scater. I'm sure they were more scared of you

Unless you've got one cornered in a rhodo or palm meadow thicket, I think lightning would get your first

As for your strobe light defense, you better watch out because pigs are all night party animals and if you would have played disco music also you would have found yourself in the middle of a Piggy Mosh Pit.

I love how fear will mess with you (and Me) especially when under some sensory deprivation such as hiking in the dark.

So I take it a Trip report is in the works?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
As for your strobe light defense, you better watch out because pigs are all night party animals and if you would have played disco music also you would have found yourself in the middle of a Piggy Mosh Pit.

I love how fear will mess with you (and Me) especially when under some sensory deprivation such as hiking in the dark.

So I take it a Trip report is in the works?
My cell phone plays pretty loud. Didn't have a data connection to stream Pandora but I bet my son can give me some of his "Skrillex" to get the piggies movin'.

Trip report completed, with a message just for you at the end.