Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-03-2014, 11:43 PM

Default Clinch River 4wt Rod

I've been fishing a 4wt on the clinch now for over a year now and I really like it. I've been using a Redington CT 4wt in a 8'6" and a 9' model. Now before you all tell me how these rods are prone to brake rod tips off, I've experienced this myself on 3 instances. Lmao You would've thought I would have learned my lesson but I didn't. Now on the plus side their warranty department gave no fuss in replacing both rods. But Lo and behold my 9 footer had the tip break again. SHOCKER. Lol as bad luck as I've had with rod tips I will say I've caught plenty of fish on these redington CT and really haven't had any other complaints.

As far as throwing a 4wt I just like the feel and fast action. I can throw the micro dry flies and still cast a nymph rig. I can cast fairly well with it and you still have enough to land bigger fish. I just like the hook sets I can get with a 4wt. Idk it's just a personal preference. My friend had a coworker GIVE him a like new sage launch 5wt and orvis combo. While it being an older sage, still Ik the quality is very well. I just like a 4wt a little better. Idk.

Can anyone recommend a good quality fast action 4wt 9' rod that won't cause me to sell my truck to pay for it?? Any and all recommendations/ personal preferences will be greatly appreciated. So let's hear it.

Also btw, here's some pics from a trip on Tuesday of his week.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:58 AM

Funny you post this , two weeks ago I took my Orvis 5wt from its case started to rig up
Got to the tip top guide and realized in horror the top 4 inches were broken off, I have no idea how and freaked knowing our TU trip was coming up the next weekend! I fished tbat day with a cheap Cortland I keep for that very reason still lucked out with five fish, had to be karma cause that was a 15 dollar Wal-Mart rod. I called Orvis at 10:30 that night they told me where to send and said would be 4-6 weeks no charge even to send because rod was pre 2003. I had been thinking of adding a 4wt to the arsenal to balance out between the 2wt and 5 wt. Long story short ordered the TFO Lefty Kreh Pro series on Monday received on Wednesday, used on a variety of streams at Cataloochee and loved it, I have fished the Clinch twice this week and it rocked. I know someone who I have big respect for who said he uses a 4wt all the time on the Clinch and I know he nails big fish, I just did not know he was using a 4wt. Does it cast like my Winston of course not but it also costs a fraction of it and can be repaired for, $25 no questions asked! I look foward to continue using it in all types of water even when the Orvis comes back!
By the way nice fish no matter what you were using, great color!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Last edited by bigsur; 04-04-2014 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: tennessee hillbilly spellin
Old 04-04-2014, 08:25 AM

Check out the RIVER'S EDGE 4/5 wt 2-piece graphite rods. I fish one with my dries that I have posted about on LRO several times (just search the forums). It runs in the $30-55 range if you can find them. The best dry fly rod I have ever thrown...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 AM

Bigsur, it sounds like you have my luck. I really don't even know how these rod tips break so easily on the redington CT's. I'm gonna look in to getting a higher quality rod. I've read a lot about TFO rods and have started to purchase one on a couple occasions. I've read some reviews about Mystic Rods and many many many more. But idk what I'll do. Keep shopping until I find one I fall in love with.

But thanks for the comments on the fish! Almost everything I've hooked into above 15" has had amazing color. Gotta love spring time bows.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:17 PM

I have fished with a tfo professional II 9ft 4wt on the clinch for the last couple of years and love it! However it has broke on me twice now, both times when alone in the smokies somehow handling it stupid. I have decided I need to take better care of it and have started using my 5wt for tailwaters. My thought is I have asked this rod to do too much, and punished it.

Seems we window shop the same places... I just bought a mystic inception 8wt and tomorrow is its maiden voyage. I'll try to remember to report back on how it does

Email Punk

http://lastdrifteffort.blogspot.com
Old 04-04-2014, 06:18 PM

I purchased a TFO professional series 4wt last year and love it. I do not have a designated reel for so I have to use a reel rigged with a 5wt line but it does not seem to effect it at all. It has become my go to rod.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:03 PM

Robin,
I used to fish a scott a4 4wt LOTS on the ETN tailwaters. I really liked that rod. I had it paired with a Ross reel. Kinda wish I still had it.

You might also look at the Sage Response rod. I haven't cast it, but its mid price range and sage is quality

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>

Last edited by Wilson10; 04-04-2014 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-05-2014, 08:02 AM

Default Check with LRO

RobinRyder2,
I thought you had price restrictions in your query...?

Seriously,
  1. spend the money on a nice 2-piece graphite rod, tons of blanks out there as well [$50-100 tops]
  2. invest in a fabulous fly line [$90]
  3. quality leaders [$3-5]
One heck of a fabulous dry fly baton you will have...keep the fly line away from car heat is a must. One day in a hot car will cook it...

My suggestions is to just give you a good infrastructure to work from and not so much brand specific.
I am sure he is very knowledgeable and will give you some great guidance. At-least you can get some good ideas and get your plans moving forward...

Old 04-05-2014, 10:51 AM

Shawn

Budget is a term that is used only on the way to the flyshop , this is usually followed by her attorney saying, "With complete disrgard for my client's basic needs he continued to buy fishing equipment at an unjustifiable level"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Last edited by bigsur; 04-05-2014 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: tennessehllbily spellin
Old 04-05-2014, 11:51 AM

Talking True...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
Shawn

Budget is a term that is used only on the way to the flyshop , this is usually followed by her attorney saying, "With complete disrgard for my client's basic needs he continued to buy fishing equipment at an unjustifiable level"
Nice, I needed that laugh...

I have always enjoyed being resourceful in my fly fishing quest. However; not all of my ideas have worked so resourceful. Fly fishing is truly a sport that you really get what you pay for in most instances....There are some opportunities to skimp if you are wise and listen.

However; the most valuable resource is kind advice and a willing recipient. Those two-things will advance you faster and with more success than anything you can buy...

See you all on the river and be safe!