Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing Around the World

Old 04-12-2014, 10:58 AM

Default New Zealand

I may have an opportunity to do a dream trip in early fall to New Zealand to go fishing. I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience way over there and if so where to start looking for information on the fishing there. Any and all help will be more than appreciated. Will be getting my first Smokies fix next week...
Old 04-12-2014, 11:08 AM

I haven't been, and most certainly will never make it, but here's a video to whet your appetite.
http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/video-oh-my-god-a-fly-fishing-nightmare/

steve
Old 04-22-2014, 11:29 AM

I've been to New Zealand (north island), but it was before I took up fly fishing. It's a tremendously beautiful place! I highly recommend doing one of the Waitomo cave tours. They are a bit expensive, but worth every penny. Also, I had one of the best meals I've ever eaten at Tony Lord Nelson's in Auckland. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
I haven't been, and most certainly will never make it, but here's a video to whet your appetite.
http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/video-oh-my-god-a-fly-fishing-nightmare/

steve
Well that is it! I am moving to New Zealand...
Old 05-13-2014, 09:49 AM

OK...the trip is on. My fishing buddy has just made our reservations for 5 nights and four days of guided fishing on the Owen River on the South Island the last week of October. This is a brown trout fishery where the fish run 3-6 lbs and is mostly sight fishing. By going through a travel agent we saved 20% off the standard rate....this is enough of a savings to allow us to do a helicopter trip into the back country to fish one day....should be interesting.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:47 AM

Take a bunch of mouse patterns!
http://sportfishin.asia/fishing-tale...ng-video-clip/
Old 05-14-2014, 06:41 PM

Default New Zealand

I had the privilege of fishing the rugged terrain of the North Island. Much like you I was invited and wondered if I should or could make it. After asking for opinions on this message board without many replies, I decided to go.
Without the benefit of guides (my hosts were too tight) i inquired of locals including the Maoris natives. Dry flies were never successful but three nymphs separated by 8 inches on a 8-10 foot leader produced many outstanding trout. You will be forever amazed at the beauty of the streams and the size and beauty of the trout. And their summer is the dead of our winter. It's is nice to fish pristine waters in an environment without predators -no snakes, poison insects, spiders, vicious mammals, etc.
Enjoy!!
I watch for your report.
Pedipop1
Old 11-14-2014, 06:38 PM

Default So - how did it go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
OK...the trip is on. My fishing buddy has just made our reservations for 5 nights and four days of guided fishing on the Owen River on the South Island the last week of October. This is a brown trout fishery where the fish run 3-6 lbs and is mostly sight fishing. By going through a travel agent we saved 20% off the standard rate....this is enough of a savings to allow us to do a helicopter trip into the back country to fish one day....should be interesting.
I'm headed there myself on the 20th of Feb 2015. Can't wait - it's been on my mind since I was a teenager (back in the late '80s).

Any tips or things you'd avoid? How was your experience with the guide you and your friends hired?

Thanks - Todd (technowannabe)
Old 11-18-2014, 10:46 AM

OK...Todd...get ready for something unlike anything you have probably known about trout fishing in the Smokies. As my buddy said after our first day...this is really more hunting than fishing. If you are going to Owen River it is just a great experience...the host Felix is as accommodating as anyone I have experienced. We were repeatedly told that in most of the rivers that hold the large trout that there are only 8-10 fish per mile...and it was not unusual to walk a quarter mile or more between fishing opportunities. You will be there for their summer dry fly season...lower water and surface feedings so it will be a little different. All of our trout were caught on nymphs but we did get several strikes on dries...and nothing more than a standard Adams. That said the trout are all wild browns....one lonely rainbow of a mere 5 pounds. Our largest fish was seven pounds and we averaged two a day to the net and 7 to 10 fish sighted with almost as many takes. This fishing was all guide related....our guide, Boris, would walk ahead of us studying the holding areas until he spotted a fish and would then put us into position for a cast. The fish are very wise and we were using 12-15 foot leaders with generally a two nymph rig. All the fish we caught were very strong and well colored.
There the general word is that the higher you go the bigger the fish get...and it seems to be true. These are glacial valleys with riverbeds of nothing but boulders....it the wind is up it can get very frustrating. My friend said his best cast of the trip was the last day with the wind behind him....lifted his rod high and the wind laid all his line and leader straight out upstream over the trout and he merely had to lower his rod tip. I hooked a couple of fish that may have gone eight pounds and cast to a couple that were at least that big if not bigger....all of our fishing was sight fishing and it is so hard to believe that you walk by so much water where we were told there are no fish....I think I saw two trout on my own over four days that were not pointed out initally with my guide. The scenery is amazing and the people are all very friendly....a lot of good wine to be found. Enjoy.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:11 AM

Never been, but from what I have seen and read it would be a great place to visit. I have only heard good things. Unless things have changed they don't allow felt soled wading boots, they want waders and fly lines to be new or they disinfect them, and they are big on natural colored fly lines. Just tidbits I've picked up here and there. Looking forward to a trip report.

Last edited by flyman; 11-19-2014 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: 42