Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-12-2014, 02:05 PM

Default Hex today?

Hi Shawn,

I've been reading a lot of your posts here and also checked out the fb page. Awesome!

Today was my 4th morning over there with no fish in hand and one big one that broke me off my first trip. So, this morning I hit the Clinch behind 2nd Baptist around 6:30 for 2 hours. Many fish active on and just below the surface. I had gone to LRO last week and loaded up on midge patterns that I've seen recommended for that area and thought I was all set.

Well - as luck would have it, after I settled down and watched the fish for awhile I noticed several large (1" or so) hex floating by. The fish were hammering then whenever one drifted by. I saw 1 every 2 minutes or so.

Thought I'd pass that along and also ask if you have seen any good patterns for those large hex that work on the Clinch?

BTW - I think those things pretty much killed my chance with the midges and the largest dry I had wasn't a really close match.

Any tips you can think of? I plan to be out there two more morning before work this week.

Thanks,

Todd (technowannabe)
Old 08-13-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technowannabe View Post
Hi Shawn,

I've been reading a lot of your posts here and also checked out the fb page. Awesome!

Today was my 4th morning over there with no fish in hand and one big one that broke me off my first trip. So, this morning I hit the Clinch behind 2nd Baptist around 6:30 for 2 hours. Many fish active on and just below the surface. I had gone to LRO last week and loaded up on midge patterns that I've seen recommended for that area and thought I was all set.

Well - as luck would have it, after I settled down and watched the fish for awhile I noticed several large (1" or so) hex floating by. The fish were hammering then whenever one drifted by. I saw 1 every 2 minutes or so.

Thought I'd pass that along and also ask if you have seen any good patterns for those large hex that work on the Clinch?

BTW - I think those things pretty much killed my chance with the midges and the largest dry I had wasn't a really close match.

Any tips you can think of? I plan to be out there two more morning before work this week.

Thanks,

Todd (technowannabe)
Thank you for the kind support and I am glad you enjoy my ideas.

Yeah, those big hexes can tamp down all other patterns when they come off in numbers.
  • I would tie some very large #8-10 or larger dries in the silhouette of a spinner pattern with the wings up-swept instead of spread out. See picture below for reference. Just choose a different dubbing color.
  • Also, you can bump strip a large soft hackle hex pattern. I usually just let this swing down to a target pull and slow bump 1-2".
Here is a variation of the hex nymph I use. Be precise with your knots and ready for a quick take. Some of the fish will take it hard and give you a short window to play them.

Hope this helps. Thanks for posting your information.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 08-13-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
[COLOR=Navy]
Here is a variation of the hex nymph I use. Be precise with your knots and ready for a quick take. Some of the fish will take it hard and give you a short window to play them.

Hope this helps. Thanks for posting your information.

What size do you tie that hex nymph in and what're you using for the eye/bead?
Old 08-13-2014, 12:51 PM

Thanks! I forgot all about this resource. I do need to tie some more variety in my tailwater box.

Techno, glad to see your still at it.

Email Punk

http://lastdrifteffort.blogspot.com
Old 08-13-2014, 05:36 PM

Default Thanks

Shawn - thanks for the extra info! Yes... the pattern in that 1st pic (with the modification of up-swept wings you mentioned would've done it, I think.) I'll be ready with some next time!
Old 08-13-2014, 05:39 PM

Default Yeah. heard-headed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77punk View Post
Thanks! I forgot all about this resource. I do need to tie some more variety in my tailwater box.

Techno, glad to see your still at it.
Thanks. I'm gonna stay at it until I get it right. I've been doing that at all the rivers here that I've got time to fish.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinryder2 View Post
What size do you tie that hex nymph in and what're you using for the eye/bead?
Robinryder2,
  • I tie this on a large bass hook with the pattern being about 2" long.
  • For the eyes, I use 15# fishing line cut in to about 1" strips.
  1. I use a flame and melt one side in to a ball.
  2. Then, slide 2 plastic beads on the UN-melted side.
  3. This part takes some practice. I usually trim the UN-melted side within a centimeter or so of the bead.
  4. Using a flame; melt the final side in to a ball to hold the beads on the line.
  5. Then, I use a figured 8 method to tie the eyes on the hook.
  • I use yellow or gold tying thread for the head.
Hope this helps!

Old 08-14-2014, 10:09 AM

Talking Epic tie!

Quote:
Robinryder2,
  3. This part takes some practice. I usually trim the UN-melted side within a centimeter or so of the bead.
  4. Using a flame; melt the final side in to a ball to hold the beads on the line.
Hope this helps!
Sounds fun enough just tying it... even if you don't catch anything.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Robinryder2,
Hope this helps!

I kinda had an idea it was mono and beads. But I've got some nymph hooks that I tie stimulators, big stonefly nymphs, and some buggers on that might work for it. I'm whip some of these up to keep in my box with everything else. Lol

I like to find other patterns that'll work other than just midges, scuds and so on. I have heard and read about some other soft hackle patterns that people fish the clinch with but I don't have any resources on them.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinryder2 View Post
I kinda had an idea it was mono and beads. But I've got some nymph hooks that I tie stimulators, big stonefly nymphs, and some buggers on that might work for it. I'm whip some of these up to keep in my box with everything else. Lol

I like to find other patterns that'll work other than just midges, scuds and so on. I have heard and read about some other soft hackle patterns that people fish the clinch with but I don't have any resources on them.
Basic setup
  • size #12-14 nymph hook
  • I usually throw unweighted-No Lead
  • use various wire colors and dubbing for body
  • you can use crazy patterns as well
  • I like to use Hungarian Partridge Hackle
Soft hackles work similar to streamers and attractor patterns. You do not have to mimic a specific bug to get them to work well. However; there are times when one pattern will work better than others due to bug activity. The trick is in the retrieve and the spread of the retrieve. It takes some time and experience to dial this end. However; it is extremely productive.