Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 04-04-2014, 10:28 AM

Default Is This a Sicklefin Redhorse?

I caught it in the Hiwassee near Murphy, NC walleye fishing yesterday but it lacks the sickle fin? Thought maybe some TN anglers may know?

The walleye fishing wasn't too shabby either;
Old 04-04-2014, 01:05 PM

Silver Redhorse.
Awesome job on the walleye. One of my favorite fish to eat.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:48 PM

Default Delicious

Thanks, they were delicious! Highly recommend the little green, plastic fish lip grip tool I have on my pack, especially for walleye. Its only a few bucks, it floats, and it eliminates most handling of C&R fish. Best tool I've purchased in awhile.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:17 PM

Default Redhorse Info

Grannyknot was right its a Silver Redhorse.

I thought I'd share info I rec'd about my redhorse from Stephen Fraley
Aquatic Wildlife Diversity Coordinator, Western Region
NC Wildlife Resources Commission of the NC Wildlife.

"Not a Sicklefin redhorse, but one of its cousins, the Silver redhorse, Moxostoma anisurum. One of the distinguishing characteristics is the convex margin of the dorsal fin, that shows nicely in your photos. There are six species of redhorse in the Hiwassee River. Along with the Little Tennessee River in Swain & Macon cos., that’s the only place in the world that that occurs. They are, in addition to the Silver: Sicklefin redhorse, Moxostoma sp. ms. falcata; River redhorse, M. carinatum; Smallmouth redhorse, M. breviceps; Golden redhorse, M. erythrurum; and, Black redhorse, M. duquesnei. In North Carolina, Robust redhorse, M. robustum, is found only on the Atlantic Slope in the Yadkin/Pee-Dee River system.

Incidentally, Silver redhorse are very good to eat, just bony. I especially like to cut the meat from each side off the backbone, leaving the skin on, then brine and smoke them. The bones are easy to remove before eating by flexing the piece with the flesh side out, which spreads the myomeres (flakes, or layers of meat), exposing the bones in between that can then be easily plucked out, leaving the boneless fillet intact on the skin. The myth of “bottom feeders” not being good to eat is just that. These guys are very picky about what they eat, and have a diet very similar to trout (mostly insect larvae). Those honking lips are not an indiscriminant vacuum, but very tactile sensitive tools for picky eaters."