Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-27-2014, 08:33 PM

Default Forget the Tubers, Watch Out for Photographers!

I know a lot of folks on this board are photographers. This isn't about you. I fished the Middle Prong today alone (without a fishing buddy). Those of you who know me know that I wear hearing aids. I leave them in the car while fishing lest I take an unintended dunking and soak $4,000 worth of digital equipment. Like most of you, I am pretty focused while fishing, so being hearing impaired leaves me in my own little world. Not a bad thing. So, today, I am snuggled up against a big boulder concentrating on high sticking my Copper John. Next thing you know, this voice yells down from the boulder "having any luck?". Fortunately I was wet wading. Had I been wearing waders I would have had to dig a hole and bury them. there stood a fellow from Virginia decked out in a safari outfit with a Nikon with a 2 foot lens and a tripod on top of my rock. I told him I just caught a nice one and a sizable brown I was working on just disappeared (wonder why). I reeled in and prepared to scramble the bank when he told me I was welcome to stay. I politely explained about seeing people on top of a boulder puts trout down, and wished him happy photo shoot. I moved up the stream a quarter mile and put in at a favorite d
Spot. Dang if the same thing didn't happen again with a fellow from New York just wading into the stream in front of me to take a picture of the sun on my pocket water. He asked me if I had ever heard of some place in New York. Said it is the "trout fishing capital of the U.S.. They stock the stream every two weeks!!!". I told him people who live there must be very lucky. They don't stock this stream at all. ;-). Call me crazy, but I don't think before I ever touched a fishing rod, that it wouldn' have occurred to me to have the courtesy to give a fisherman just a little space. As I scrambled the bank again, I stopped to pick up 3 cigarette butts someone had recently discarded. I realized not everyone thinks like me. Still a good day out on the stream
Old 04-27-2014, 09:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

So did the brown you caught come from middle prong? Its been a while since I have caught one up at "tremont"?
Old 04-28-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
So did the brown you caught come from middle prong? Its been a while since I have caught one up at "tremont"?
Caught a 7 inch bow. The brown didn't have interest in anything in my fly box (at least the way I presented it). There are browns on Tremont. Mostly in deeper holes and runs.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:17 AM

I had a similar experience on Easter weekend. There were photographers everywhere; some photo club I guessed. They were ignorant (exactly) of fishing etiquette, and walked the streams ahead of me regularly.

I kept trying to find a secluded area, but they kept coming, even during the rain. I spent 2 decades as a photographer, doing wildlife work, but I've never seen folks so clueless as these. Just ignorant (Yankees?).
Old 04-28-2014, 08:48 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
Ian Rutter has a video where the Fisheries Crew is shocking Tremont and they shock up a decent Brown

Could there still be a lonely Brown trout in Abrams (quietly stirs the pot - then runs away)
Old 04-28-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead8 View Post
I know a lot of folks on this board are photographers. This isn't about you. I fished the Middle Prong today alone (without a fishing buddy). Those of you who know me know that I wear hearing aids. I leave them in the car while fishing lest I take an unintended dunking and soak $4,000 worth of digital equipment. Like most of you, I am pretty focused while fishing, so being hearing impaired leaves me in my own little world. Not a bad thing. So, today, I am snuggled up against a big boulder concentrating on high sticking my Copper John. Next thing you know, this voice yells down from the boulder "having any luck?". Fortunately I was wet wading. Had I been wearing waders I would have had to dig a hole and bury them. there stood a fellow from Virginia decked out in a safari outfit with a Nikon with a 2 foot lens and a tripod on top of my rock. I told him I just caught a nice one and a sizable brown I was working on just disappeared (wonder why). I reeled in and prepared to scramble the bank when he told me I was welcome to stay. I politely explained about seeing people on top of a boulder puts trout down, and wished him happy photo shoot. I moved up the stream a quarter mile and put in at a favorite d
Spot. Dang if the same thing didn't happen again with a fellow from New York just wading into the stream in front of me to take a picture of the sun on my pocket water. He asked me if I had ever heard of some place in New York. Said it is the "trout fishing capital of the U.S.. They stock the stream every two weeks!!!". I told him people who live there must be very lucky. They don't stock this stream at all. ;-). Call me crazy, but I don't think before I ever touched a fishing rod, that it wouldn' have occurred to me to have the courtesy to give a fisherman just a little space. As I scrambled the bank again, I stopped to pick up 3 cigarette butts someone had recently discarded. I realized not everyone thinks like me. Still a good day out on the stream

I had a guy that kept tailing me through a couple of holes one time. I asked him if he had noticed all the snakes along the way (I was joking in a serious voice of course). Guy replied that he didn't know there were snakes around. That solved the problem.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:38 PM

You know $3Bridge, sometimes genius is in simplicity. I will file that one away for future use!

BTW, the brown I was pursuing was in the 13-14 inch range, not 20. I would go up the East Prong if big browns are what I am after, but I know that they are in the Middle Prong.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechem View Post
I had a similar experience on Easter weekend. There were photographers everywhere; some photo club I guessed. They were ignorant (exactly) of fishing etiquette, and walked the streams ahead of me regularly.

I kept trying to find a secluded area, but they kept coming, even during the rain. I spent 2 decades as a photographer, doing wildlife work, but I've never seen folks so clueless as these. Just ignorant (Yankees?).
Easter was awful for my dad and I as well! They seemed to fade away as the road got further away....
Old 04-28-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfisher View Post
Easter was awful for my dad and I as well! They seemed to fade away as the road got further away....
They were on the trails too, but not nearly as bad. They were on most every pull off along Tremont on Friday and Saturday. The parking area at the end of Tremont was so crowded with cars that folks were parking along the road near the parking area.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $3Bridge View Post
I had a guy that kept tailing me through a couple of holes one time. I asked him if he had noticed all the snakes along the way (I was joking in a serious voice of course). Guy replied that he didn't know there were snakes around. That solved the problem.
Awesome idea! I will remember that in the future.