Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-28-2014, 10:22 AM

Default tip rate for guides

What is the customary tip rate for guides in East Tennessee?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:51 PM

I try to tip any fishing guide somewhere in the range of 20-25% of what my trip cost. Here's some links where guides where asked that question.
http://midcurrent.com/travel/how-to-...es-and-lodges/
http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-f...s-accordingly/
Old 04-28-2014, 08:06 PM

smctrout,

I know less than most, thats why I associate with teachers.

You ask a great question that I'm sure wasn't easy to post but obviously is important to you. I commend you!!!!

Having been able to acquire professional services of several guides in E. Tn., I assure you, most feel they want to show you the "Best" day you haven't had fishing. I know those I have fished with made me feel that way. I feel, you tip the absolute most you can afford. Knowing, he or she has to endure everything you do, plus make a dream come true. It's a pressure to deliver that I've not had to feel in my list of jobs. Only fair to point out, the fisherman has a responsibility to the guide as well. Be able to cast and do his or her part fishing.

If you would like my "A" list of local guides please email me.

Thank You,

Breck

breckdavis100@gmail.com
Old 04-29-2014, 08:07 PM

My son and I took a trip this past summer with a guide. Maybe you guys remember my post. Based on a trip of approximately 295.00 dollars give or take a few dollars, the tip paid was 60.00. When one gets familiar with prices of equipment for trout fishing, that is a small price to pay to help a fella out. thanks flyguys.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguys View Post
My son and I took a trip this past summer with a guide. Maybe you guys remember my post. Based on a trip of approximately 295.00 dollars give or take a few dollars, the tip paid was 60.00. When one gets familiar with prices of equipment for trout fishing, that is a small price to pay to help a fella out. thanks flyguys.
That's appropriate.

Just remember to check, guys, to be certain the tip isn't already included. Such is becoming more common, and it solves the problem that initiated this thread.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:16 AM

Default tip rates

Every time I look at guide rates, I wish the rate included the tip. I think most guides work hard but at the end of the day, it really greatly depends on my skill level. I would like the rate to include the tip. I find this too ambiguous. I have had only one guide (not local) that will never use again.
I also think about the fact that in Tennessee guides are not required to have a license. I don't know if they have insurance that covers the client. If not their overhead cost are less so is 20%-25% appropriate ?
Leads me wish they would include the tip.
c.v.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeye valdez View Post
Every time I look at guide rates, I wish the rate included the tip. I think most guides work hard but at the end of the day, it really greatly depends on my skill level. I would like the rate to include the tip. I find this too ambiguous. I have had only one guide (not local) that will never use again.
I also think about the fact that in Tennessee guides are not required to have a license. I don't know if they have insurance that covers the client. If not their overhead cost are less so is 20%-25% appropriate ?
Leads me wish they would include the tip.
c.v.
That's a good point CV.
Something else that I always wondered about....what about guides that are running their own solo guiding business (ie not working out of a fly shop or large scale guide service)? Still appropriate to tip them the same? Just curious.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:23 PM

I grew up with the idea that you don't tip the owner of a business, just the employees. However, in recent years I've gotten away from that practice, and now I tip about 20%, whoever I'm dealing with.

steve
Old 04-30-2014, 06:20 PM

Most guides will tell you an inflated amount. Generally, I tip the same as for a restaurant server. Some guides deserve no tip. Some guides who bust their butt deserve 20%. Twenty five percent seems quite excessive unless your guide gives you a superlative day or a fish of a lifetime. After all, it isn't like they are paid below minimum wage like a waitress. They can always raise their rates if tipping doesn't help them make it financially.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:54 AM

Default tips

I first became acquainted with tipping when fishing Canada in the 1970s. I learned more about it hunting Africa in the 1980s, and got a real education in tipping when we did our television show Bassin' Mexico in the 1990s. There in fishing camp everyone from the guide and cook, to the maid and her cousin line up for the "second bite" as they call it.

Frankly, to me tipping is a bit out of hand as you immediately become regarded as cheap if you are not a generous tipper with a $100 bill in your pocket. In restaurants, no matter how bad the service or food might be, a generous tip is expected. If you think fishing guide tips are a bit excessive, I can assure that elk guides who do their jobs well expect tips starting at around $500. A good argument can be made that if you cannot afford to figure in the customary tip, then you should not book the trip. Just as good an argument can be made that a guide should charge what he expects for his services and delivery them without expecting more.

A number of guides and outfitters advertise in Southern Trout. We do all we can to promote their businesses by designing attractive ads, monitoring their responses, and doing profile articles on them at no additional cost. In two years not a single guide has put a tip on their payment, nor would I accept it if they did.

Having said this, yes I tip, and usually $50 no matter what the trip or service is. I figure it into the cost of fun and business. I suppose that tips are a motivating factor, and when hunting have even tipped before the hunt can make a difference in the quality of animal you get a shot at (Yes, they usually know where the "big guy" is and understand what he is worth to most hunters).

I'm not crazy about it and really believe the whole thing is a bit out of control. However, my reputation is checkered enough without adding "skin flint" to it. It's like Harry Thurman said, "If you don't like the heat in the kitchen, then get out of the kitchen."