Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-01-2014, 01:07 PM

Here is my perspective;

• If a guide owns his/her service-they should never expect a tip. You should only tip them if you feel they went out of the way with your trip's circumstances to give you an extraordinary time. Maybe they shared some cool tips or techniques you have never heard about...(?) Or they worked hard to give you a photo-dvd of your trip(?) They price of the trip should be upfront and any other costs should be stated up front. People fish for relaxation and do no want any kind of anxiety on a trip they paid to experience. I guarantee that most self-guides will get equal or more business if they do not accept tips and use their stated price as the rule.
  • If a guide is a sub-contractor; then, they should be creative and get to know your style so they can work hard to earn a tip and they should be tipped if their effort deserves it. If you have scheduled a trip under an owners name or reputation; then, you should get a exactly that and not a sub. If a sub is offered; then, the trip should be discounted with an implied amount going to the sub.
Just because you own a drift boat and take people down the river rowing for them and give them a gas station sandwich does not equate to a tip. I think if I guided; I would charge a pretty penny because I would pool every resource I had to give someone an unbelievable experience captured in pictures and videos. For me to guide someone on the Clinch for a full day would cost at-least $400/day. Because; for me to sacrifice my fishing time and for me to give them an unbelievable day; that is what it would cost me to support the endeavor and supporting cast.

That is just my opinion! Guiding seems to have become too "Cookie-Cutter" over the years and I think people deserve and need (Experience) as the focal point and not so much catching fish!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-01-2014, 10:42 PM

I've been guiding for a number of years, always set prices accordingly with other's in the area, no tip expected but it has always been appreciated.
As noted already, the day start's before meeting the client's & isn't over til the boat is cleaned & equipment taking care of, which makes for a long day.
There is a lot involved trying to get client's the trip they want & to try & make it happen, as always, it depends on the fish cooperating some, angler skill & knowing your water is a big bonus.
Boat's, equipment, flies, gas, lunch, snacks, insurance, drinks aren't cheap. Client's having a great day on the water is PRICELESS!

Grumpy
Old 05-02-2014, 07:26 AM

I hope my post did not seem negative or condescending. I feel that there are great opportunities for guides to attract clients by making their service less vague. I believe you can make a better living with increased trips by offering discounted days and repeat discounts. Also; attract younger fisherman by offering student and teen discounts if you can swing it. These guys will be your bread and butter in the future and great advertisement!

Be creative and most of all be fun! Have a good time with your clients!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-03-2014, 07:33 AM

No offense taken on my part Shawn. You do have to be creative at times, donating trips to worthy causes, group trips & more.
There's one thing about it, a lot of us aren't in a "destination mecca", i wouldn't give up the shop gig for full time guiding, that's for sure. Mother nature would keep us in the poor house, especially tailwater fisherman & freestoner's as well.
The folks i've met, friendships & wonderful days on the water showing & teaching have brought many fond memories for which i am grateful. Those are things money really can't buy in a way.
I decided this year to give it up for the most part & have already disappointed several folks in doing so, hard to believe that folks really enjoy spending a day on the water with a grumpy 'ol fart such as myself, i've assured them of several other guides in the area that will give them some great days on the water & can't wait to hear the stories once thy've taken them.

Grumpy
Old 05-04-2014, 05:35 PM

I look at it this way. I also only live 20-30 minutes to my favorite stream.

$20 gas
$20- Fly Shop. Always need SOMETHING. Tippet, leader, flies, floatant...etc
$10- Food and drink

I am at $50 before I even hit my local stream!

I usually advise $100, if guide exceeded expectations.

Keep in mind. Finding the right guide, can add years of experience on a full days wade trip. Worth it? Heck yeah.....
Old 05-12-2014, 07:23 PM

I tip according to the service I receive. Most professional guides work very hard for their money. Guiding is not easy work. The best of them aren't getting rich, and the guys working for a shop are usually just scraping by. If you can afford to take a guided trip, you can afford a decent tip. Slipping someone a few extra bucks won't make much difference to the average fisherman who takes a guided trip, but it could make life a little easier for the average fishing guide. I expect a lot from a guide. I don't need casting lessons or someone to tie my fly on, but you better know where the fish are and how to catch them. You also need to tell me in advance what patterns I will need, or better yet have some of the patterns I need.