Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 04-30-2014, 06:19 PM

Default Elk Hair caddis

I am tying a bunch of Elk hair's for May and I can't decide on whether to use white or natural color for the wings. Any thoughts?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:28 PM

Tie some of each just in case.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:05 PM

For what it is worth, I tied a handful of each this weekend along with as many yellow neversinks in size 16.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:21 AM

Curious – how did the popular caddis pattern come to be called the Neversink here? Elsewhere in the country it’s called a Puterbaugh Caddis, created by Don Puterbaugh, a guide on the Arkansas River. The name Neversink referred to another pattern with foam wrapped around the hook shank.

steve
Old 05-05-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
Curious – how did the popular caddis pattern come to be called the Neversink here? Elsewhere in the country it’s called a Puterbaugh Caddis, created by Don Puterbaugh, a guide on the Arkansas River. The name Neversink referred to another pattern with foam wrapped around the hook shank.

steve
We do things here our own way, and the committee met and decided it was a good idea and it was put to a vote at 1:30 AM after several rounds of drinks and the vote passed by a margin of 2-0 with one voter abstaining. Actually, he couldn't even pronounce his own name by then. Next order of business was an intervention on the poor chap.

Actually, I really think nobody in the southern Appalachians can pronounce "Puterbaugh".
Old 05-05-2014, 01:02 PM

I always thought it was named after the neversink river.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
I always thought it was named after the neversink river.
According to Byron, that is not the case. It is named for it's ability to float through rough water without the need to grease it up all of the time.

It is a big producer in the Smokies. I always wondered about the chicken and egg conundrum with this fly. Does it produce more because more people use it? Or, do more people use it because it is a better producer I think it is the latter just from personal experience. I still like to use the conventional caddis flies too.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead8 View Post
According to Byron, that is not the case. It is named for it's ability to float through rough water without the need to grease it up all of the time.

It is a big producer in the Smokies. I always wondered about the chicken and egg conundrum with this fly. Does it produce more because more people use it? Or, do more people use it because it is a better producer I think it is the latter just from personal experience. I still like to use the conventional caddis flies too.
My experience with the neversink is that it does mostly what the name implies. It does great in the riffles, Though I have on occasion had one sink just below the water surface and become a wet fly.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
We do things here our own way, and the committee met and decided it was a good idea and it was put to a vote at 1:30 AM after several rounds of drinks and the vote passed by a margin of 2-0 with one voter abstaining. Actually, he couldn't even pronounce his own name by then. Next order of business was an intervention on the poor chap.

Actually, I really think nobody in the southern Appalachians can pronounce "Puterbaugh".
I about spit my coffee up reading this... I always thought the name was just one of those self explanatory things. Interesting information!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-06-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:

This is from James & Angie Marsh's site....

Quote:
The original Neversink Caddis was a fly designed years
ago for imitating caddisflies on the Neversink River in New York. This was before anyone knew one caddisfly species from the next. At that time caddisflies were just described as brown ones, green ones, etc. Some fly shops and anglers are still that uneducated when it comes to caddisflies.