Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-03-2014, 07:32 PM

Talking $200 per fish

My neighbor and paddling buddy Andrew gave me a shout Thursday morning to see if I could take him up to the Smokies to chase a few fish. Unfortunately my wife picked up an extra day of work Thursday so I was out. I had him run by on his way out and hooked him up with a few flies that had been working lately and sent on his way. As he was leaving I told him that I could get out on Friday if he was free again and luckily he was.

He picked me up and we headed to one of my special places in the park Friday morning. It had been 10+ years since he had been this way and we talked about kayaking several of the streams on the way in. I forgot Andrew paddled with my other buddy Kirk for a while and ran all the gnarliest **** the Smokies has to offer, and had run every bit of water from where we fished down to the park boundary. We arrived at the trailhead and were pleased to see only 1 other car. I'm content just to rock hop and fish most of these stretches and will stick with the Class 4 and below.

We hiked in then dropped through the woods down to the river. The trillium are about done Blooming and the wild Iris are fading as well

The fishing was pretty slow but I managed a few

Andrew was learning in the school of hard knocks. It's tough being a newbie in the Smokies

While I was catching a few more of these guys Andrew was busy hooking the rhodo, trees, and twigs underwater.

Then it finally happened Andrew hooked up with his first Smokies trout. Not a beast, but it was a native.

The pools were quite inviting, and full of fish, just not that many wanted to bite

Old 05-03-2014, 07:45 PM

Talking

I love this place

Bluets were decorating the stream

Dogwoods were lining the stream bed in several places

Old 05-03-2014, 07:49 PM

Talking

Then Andrew got his second Smoky Mountain Brookie

We soon hit our exit point. As we talked about our day on the hike out, Andrew said those trout cost me $200 a piece (What he has spent so far on trout fishing gear) I told him it would get a little cheaper, but not much I then told the story of how when a bought a vise from Stan Starkey, I told Stan how tying flies would be saving me money. He laughed and said he was at about $10 per fly with all the stuff he bought. While I may not pay quite that much, I don't think I have saved money either.

Thanks Andrew for a great day
Old 05-04-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Then Andrew got his second Smoky Mountain Brookie

We soon hit our exit point. As we talked about our day on the hike out, Andrew said those trout cost me $200 a piece (What he has spent so far on trout fishing gear) I told him it would get a little cheaper, but not much I then told the story of how when a bought a vise from Stan Starkey, I told Stan how tying flies would be saving me money. He laughed and said he was at about $10 per fly with all the stuff he bought. While I may not pay quite that much, I don't think I have saved money either.

Thanks Andrew for a great day
That is funny! I think I am around $.50-.75 per nymph in materials. However; I tend to not count all my tying tools and gear. I could care less about the costs. As long as I am having fun....
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 05-05-2014 at 08:05 AM..
Old 05-04-2014, 03:01 PM

Nice report Ducky. Keep 'em coming - I live vicariously until I can get over there.

steve
Old 05-04-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
That is funny! I think I am around $.50-75 per nymph in materials. However; I tend to not count all my tying tools and gear. I could care less about the costs. As long as I am having fun....
See, that's the rub. If you just count the materials used for one particular fly, the cost is minimal. But when you add up the total investment, you get a much different picture.

When I first started tying I put together a spreadsheet and tracked ALL my expenses - including tools, books, fly tying classes, storage containers, materials, everything - for the first year and divided that by the total number of flies tied. By the time I quit counting, I had spent a total of $1270.11 (after subtracting for the vise I sold Ducky), and tied a total of 160 flies making the total cost per fly $7.94. I have long since quit keeping track of such things but I'm guessing that I've now accumulated at least two or three times that dollar amount in tools and materials and tied who-knows-how-many flies. But I'd be willing to bet that I haven't gotten anywhere close to getting the total cost per fly below $3 yet.

But, like you said, it's not really about the cost. It's about enjoying what you're doing, experimenting with new patterns, and catching fish on flies you tied yourself. And when you do lose a fly, you tell yourself you only lost a few cents worth of materials and it doesn't sting nearly as much as losing a store-bought $4.95 bass bug.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stana Claus View Post
See, that's the rub. If you just count the materials used for one particular fly, the cost is minimal. But when you add up the total investment, you get a much different picture.

When I first started tying I put together a spreadsheet and tracked ALL my expenses - including tools, books, fly tying classes, storage containers, materials, everything - for the first year and divided that by the total number of flies tied. By the time I quit counting, I had spent a total of $1270.11 (after subtracting for the vise I sold Ducky), and tied a total of 160 flies making the total cost per fly $7.94. I have long since quit keeping track of such things but I'm guessing that I've now accumulated at least two or three times that dollar amount in tools and materials and tied who-knows-how-many flies. But I'd be willing to bet that I haven't gotten anywhere close to getting the total cost per fly below $3 yet.

But, like you said, it's not really about the cost. It's about enjoying what you're doing, experimenting with new patterns, and catching fish on flies you tied yourself. And when you do lose a fly, you tell yourself you only lost a few cents worth of materials and it doesn't sting nearly as much as losing a store-bought $4.95 bass bug.

Stana Claus,
It truly is amazing how the costs of fly tying can be miss-leading at face value. Some of my friends balk at me charging them $3/fly. I don't mind sharing, but they usually want 15-30 at a time and that takes a hit. I rarely tie the larger streamers; but, I can imagine those can get pricey. Now if I could just figure out how to make my own tungsten beads.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-07-2014, 11:58 AM

Great pics!!! Thanks so much for posting! I only get to the smokies about once a year so I love all the pics! And I only worry about telling my wife that my flies only cost me a few cents each. I never mention the overall big picture. I'm sure that I don't want to know what it costs me. And I'm REAL sure I don't want her to know what it costs me! LOL

hNt
Old 05-07-2014, 03:13 PM

Smile

Great photos indeed!
Old 05-07-2014, 06:32 PM

Fishing for wild trout in the Smokies...........Priceless