Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-03-2014, 08:20 PM

Talking Skunked by the Brookies

Today Nathan and I finally got a chance to fish together again. It had been several weeks since we have fished and it was funny to see that we both had almost identical setups.

As we headed down the interstate we see the sign says all lanes closed ahead We detoured off Baxter down Chapman to try and get away from the mess. Got through the rat race and into the park without any more trouble and we headed up the mountain. Our parking place was closed but a bulldozer had made a new spot just a few feet away so we took advantage of it. We climbed down to the river and was glad to see this

Foul hooked my first fish

Fishing again was slow but I got a few

If you like pocket water, you'll like this place

Beautiful little Rainbows, but little rainbows were all I was getting

Monstrous Dead Hemlocks lay in pieces in the stream piling up in places

Lovely water that usually produces much better

Nathan working a pocket

Heaven on earth to a trout fisherman

Nathan at another great pool

Old 05-03-2014, 08:34 PM

Talking

A few more Rainbows for me, but nothing to talk about. Nathan got a decent Brookie, but they were hiding from me

Anyone know what this is? If not I'll ask Jenny Bennet - guru of all flora and fauna in the Smokies

Can you see Nathan hiding (or part of him)

Beautiful stream amongst the graveyard of Hemlocks

New moss growth

Getting near the end

Nathan trying to get a second rise out of a large Brookie. If you look really hard you can see Nvr2l8's 13 inch Brookie in the background, although Nathan is fishing the wrong pool for him

And while we were finished fishing we still had the most dangerous task of the day in front of us

Thanks for a great day Nathan
Old 05-03-2014, 09:31 PM

Thanks for all the great pics. Sad about the hemlocks. The are such great guardians of the streams.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:55 PM

VERY Nice.......My kind of water!

What camera are you using?

Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:39 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMt4runner View Post
VERY Nice.......My kind of water!

What camera are you using?

Thanks for sharing.
Pentax Optio

You can find W10, W20, and W30 on eBay for about $50 used. I'm on my third. First one had 6+years before I killed it. Next one only a few months before I lost it. #3 been working for almost a year now. Waterproof, light, and cheap
Old 05-13-2014, 04:16 PM

Thumbs up Great pics!

Those are awesome pics! Thanks so much for sharing!

hNt
Old 05-13-2014, 06:07 PM

Default All Rainbows

Duckypaddler,

On Monday, May 5th, I fished a little bit higher than where I think you were. I fished for about 2 1/2 hours and caught somewhere between 15 and 20 small fish. I am not very good at keeping count any more. I once could tell you exactly how many fish I caught on every trip. I guess I am happy to just be out there catching fish now. I only caught one brook trout. All the rest were rainbows. I have caught many brook trout in that area of the stream in years past so I don't know what was going on. I was debating on where to go, but decided to go there specifically for the Specs. I guess I am the one that really got fooled.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:14 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwinn View Post
Duckypaddler,

On Monday, May 5th, I fished a little bit higher than where I think you were. I fished for about 2 1/2 hours and caught somewhere between 15 and 20 small fish. I am not very good at keeping count any more. I once could tell you exactly how many fish I caught on every trip. I guess I am happy to just be out there catching fish now. I only caught one brook trout. All the rest were rainbows. I have caught many brook trout in that area of the stream in years past so I don't know what was going on. I was debating on where to go, but decided to go there specifically for the Specs. I guess I am the one that really got fooled.
Nathan and I ended up fishing the section you mention yesterday as Plan E. I called it the baby rainbow factory I was able to get 2 Brookies, but Nathan got nothing but rainbows. I believe the rains the past 2 years seem to favor the rainbows. I remember talking to Matt Kulp about how sometimes on the Brookie and Rainbow streams, you seem to just catch one or the other and he explained on depending on when the big rains hit greatly influence Brookies versus Rainbow numbers. The rains the past few years tended to wash out the Brookie Fry, and by the time the Rainbows had their fry they didn't even need to out compete the Brookies because they were washed downstream
Old 05-14-2014, 08:20 PM

Great report. The scenery, streams, and trout are all so beautiful. By the way do you know what's killing the hemlocks in the Smokies? Acid rain maybe?
Old 05-15-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softhackle View Post
Great report. The scenery, streams, and trout are all so beautiful. By the way do you know what's killing the hemlocks in the Smokies? Acid rain maybe?
It is primarily due to infestation by a parasite called the Emerald Ash Borer. It is a real shame to lose these magnificent trees.