Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 06-24-2014, 08:37 AM

Default Stocking question?

This may not be the place for this but I have a question. I live in Macon county we don't have any waters here that I know of that are cold enough for trout to survive year round. Yet TWRA stock one of the creeks here in the spring. It's just a put and take stream. At least I believe that's what they call it? Anyway, why can't this stream be stocked in the fall to allow us more time to fish? Or even better, why can't they stock small mouth bass in the creek to allow for a better fishing opportunity all year long? Now don't get me wrong I love to chase rainbows and much prefer them, but it seems to me that the stocking could be done with much more efficiency. I'm certainly no expert and I'm probably wrong but I just don't understand. If a creek is a warm water creek, why not stock warm water fish?

Just curious,
hNt
Old 06-24-2014, 11:52 AM

My guess would be to generate additional trout stamp revenue from a part of the state the otherwise wouldn't sell many stamps. Who knows. Its a million dollar question literally.

As for smallmouth, I am by no means in the know on what goes on, but it seems like they stock very few lakes & rivers with smallmouth around the state. I know they put some in the Holston river, and maybe one of those lakes near Nashville. But seems like when it comes to smallmouth populations, they prefer the method of creel limits & length limit type of management to stocking programs. Norris Lake has become a good smallmouth lake, mostly due to the fact that they've made it nearly impossible to keep fish. I think the fish has to be 18 or 20 inches to keep.

I'd bet Waterwolf has some good info on the smallmouth deal.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:50 PM

I'm going to chime in without knowing much about the creek you are referring too so if I' m barking up the wrong tree please let me know. Regarding trout stocking I think you bring up a good point. It probably has to do with how heavily the creek is is fished. I would think that the TWRA would sell more trout stamps if the creek were stocked in the fall and through the winter. If you'll let me hazard a guess I would say that survival of catachable size trout is not good, they either succumb to angling or predation. Also, it could be that the stocked trout could have a negative affect on the fish already in the creek and stocking them in the spring would minimize their effect. Stocking catchable size trout has been documented to have negative affects on wild trout. Again, I'm just guessing but, that was what crossed my mind.
Regarding stocking smallmouth, my guess is that the stream is already at carrying capacity and that stocking smallies would just upset the balance of the stream. Another thing to think about is that rainbow trout have taken amazing well to being domesticated. Large numbers can be raised in cement raceways and fed pellets. This makes them realtively cheap to raise so it is economical to stock them in large mumbers. However, the same cannot be said of smallmouth bass. Smallmouths will not eat pellets, they wil only eat live food and will not tolerate the crowded conditions that rainbows will. smallmouths are normally raised in ponds. Because it is so expensive to raise smallmouths to adulthood they are normally stocked as fry.
So stocking smallmouths is not nearly as economical as stocking rainbow trout. This is just my two cents.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:37 AM

They could make it (and other marginal trout streams) delayed harvest. Stock it in the fall, but no keeping until lemon pepper day in May or June when the water starts to warm up too much for trout.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:37 PM

I can't answer your question but maybe this will help.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/fishmain.html

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/Str...ut/sched14.pdf