Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-28-2014, 07:10 PM

Default wet wading yellowstone

going to yellowstone july4th-20 and was wondering about wet wading some of the smaller rivers ,pebble creek,hellroaring creek , fan creek, also if anyone has suggestions for smaller waters to explore i'm not a big water type of person.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:12 PM

Wet wading shouldn't be any problem. But if you're any appreciable distance from your vehicle be sure to be prepared for the weather to change drastically at the drop of a hat. You don't want to be caught in a snowstorm five miles from your car with nothing warm and dry to wear.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:05 PM

You will be fine wet wading smaller waters.

Add Cache Creek to your list but make sure it's running clear. There is a healthy snowpack this year and things might not clear up until mid July in the NE section of the park.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:51 PM

Make it 3-0 in favor of wet wading. Younger Tom and I went out several years ago just after Labor Day and had no problem wading wet the majority of the time. There were a few days where we wore waders, but never on days where we did a hike in trip. You'll be there 6-8 weeks before we were there, so you should have no problems at all.

If you haven't found this website yet, give it a try. We didn't use any guides, so I have no opinion of their services one way or the other. But their fishing reports are very good for planning and whetting your appetite http://www.parksflyshop.com/fishingreport.html

We stayed about 7 days at the Tower Falls campground and hammered the Lamar Valley area. We also prefer smaller steams, most of which you mentioned, but don't dismiss the Lamar River or Soda Butte Creek. They are roadside streams, but easy to wade. And they are far enough from the road where you don't feel like you're a photo op for the other tourists. Tower Creek was supposed to fish good, but we didn't have much luck there. You didn't mention Slough Creek. Put it on your list and if you're up for it, hike in to at least the second meadow.

We fished Blacktail Deer Creek (between Roosevelt and Mammoth) solely for the purpose of catching a brook trout dinner. Of the few 7" specs I've caught around here, I would never dream of keeping one for a meal. But out there, they are viewed as almost a nuisance fish and you're encouraged to keep them. It is truly a small stream but we both had no problem at all filling our creels with a limit.

And most importantly, bring home some good memories.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:09 PM

have fished in Yellowstone in every month from Mat through October. I have also seen snow in every month l mentioned in one year or another. Yes, snow in august. Remember you are on continental divide of the Rockies elevations . It can snow in any month. PersonallyI would not go out there in any month for any extended trip without waders.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:53 PM

I tried wet wading the Henry's Fork, it was a sweltering July day with temps in the mid 90's so I thought why not.

When I stepped out of the river near dark I noticed my legs had grown tentacles....freaking leeches!

That was my last western wet wading excursion.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:53 PM

thanks for the replies, Joe I understand the weather concerns, I will be bringing waders with me was just wondering if some of the smaller waters could be fished wet. I'll be with my wife and son on day hikes and will get to fish 2 hours or so at different hikes while they take picture or read and would prefer not to have to deal with waders for such short periods.all of our hike lead to water, old tom you mention tower creek, did you fish above or below the falls? I'm looking at fishing that below the falls and making the hike up to the falls base
Old 06-02-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog View Post
thanks for the replies, Joe I understand the weather concerns, I will be bringing waders with me was just wondering if some of the smaller waters could be fished wet. I'll be with my wife and son on day hikes and will get to fish 2 hours or so at different hikes while they take picture or read and would prefer not to have to deal with waders for such short periods.all of our hike lead to water, old tom you mention tower creek, did you fish above or below the falls? I'm looking at fishing that below the falls and making the hike up to the falls base
I'd say on the smaller streams the leeches won't be an issue, it's the slower muddier rivers where the leeches live
Old 06-03-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog View Post
old tom you mention tower creek, did you fish above or below the falls? I'm looking at fishing that below the falls and making the hike up to the falls base
We fished above the falls for about a mile one evening. Perhaps we didn't go far enough up to find the good fishing.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:46 AM

Add Tower Creek below the falls. Access the canyon from the falls overlook trail right by the store. Once in the canyon look down river. The mouth of the creek is obvious. Fish the canyon also most of the fish will be along the banks.
Lynn