Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-19-2014, 08:11 PM

Think I remember that big brown-
TU campout 40 some years ago?
I was about 14......
Old 05-20-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Congleton View Post
Maybe while you were sitting out the rain, you should have been fishing. Saw a 22 inch brown trout come out of thet river on a fly in dirty water between the campground bridge and the next bridge downstream. . Course that was about four decades ago, but l suspect there are several big browns still in the river there. The mountain boys loved to fish the river when it was rain stained. They would show up with a reel loaded with straight ten pound test monfilament line, a short fly rod and a yellowhammer fly loaded with lead wire. They would let out line slowly and the current take the fly , and the fly sink, then add tension and raise the fly off the bottom and swing the fly cross stream and hang onů.it was deadly on the larger fish. Unfortunatetly they weren't totally observant of the catch and release regulations there .
Those browns can still be seen.
In pictures on the pin up board in Green Cove Market.
Most of the pictures are from the 80s and early 90s and were taken right before they were tossed on ice.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:30 PM

Alright joe, you got me. There are still big browns in BR. When I walked above Kirkland I got in the stream at Kirkland trail head. Just a ways upstream I came to a bit of a bottleneck, if you will. I had a bad cast land next to the moving water in what looked like shallow still water. My dry never moved and I thought the stone fly was snagged on bottom. But when I picked up to recast the bottom pulled back. All I saw was a swirl and felt a brief, strong tug. Never saw the fish, and its possible it was a rainbow but doubtful.

Also I got broke off twice last year in the gorge. One I know was brown, I was standing on one side of a small fall casting over the white water to the other side. A nice brown ate my thunderhead. I set the hook but never even felt it pop before I pulled in nothing but leader

Email Punk

http://lastdrifteffort.blogspot.com
Old 05-20-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinryder2 View Post
Nice report! That's a good size brown for the Stream. I want to ride over and fish the BR. I always get drawn to tellico, north or sycamore.

But as far as sycamore creek goes how far are the brookies up?

This is from a trip a week or so ago.

I always catch plenty of bows but I've only saw and missed one spec. It was a good sized and it really surprised me. All I saw was a take and a flash of orange as my dry disappeared and I missed it.

The Brookie I saw was a slightly downstream of the red dot and the purple was as far as I fished.
I wish I knew more to help you out there. I have caught one brookie in the mainstream at the upper end of the sour wood camp. That was my first time in tellico area. It would seem, reading the story I linked, they possibly could be all throughout. I have not heard that is the case however.

My brothers inspiration so far has led to him doing a bit more research on sycamore. Unfortunately he hasn't found anything I didn't already. The Appalachian TU page is as good as I've found so far, but I think we already discussed that in another thread.

I am thinking about trying the brook trout challenge but it will have to wait until after we do our bushwackin trip to find the naked lady in the smokies... If she's still there

Email Punk

Old 05-20-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77punk View Post
I wish I knew more to help you out there. I have caught one brookie in the mainstream at the upper end of the sour wood camp. That was my first time in tellico area. It would seem, reading the story I linked, they possibly could be all throughout. I have not heard that is the case however.

My brothers inspiration so far has led to him doing a bit more research on sycamore. Unfortunately he hasn't found anything I didn't already. The Appalachian TU page is as good as I've found so far, but I think we already discussed that in another thread.

I am thinking about trying the brook trout challenge but it will have to wait until after we do our bushwackin trip to find the naked lady in the smokies... If she's still there
Im just guessing I didn't go up far enough into the small water. That's my conclusion. Ive read articles about SC and the restoration. I was going solo and ran out of daylight. But the Brooke trout challenge would be something I like to do, but thatll be what its called, a "challenge". Ive yet to get a wild/native brookie. That being said im new to small stream fishing.

Never even fished in GSMNP....
Old 05-20-2014, 05:09 PM

You need to get over to the GSNP. Camp at Elkmont and you have tons of streams within 15 minutes of drive time from the camp...heck, you have 2 nice streams right at the camp (Little River and Jakes Creek).

Regarding Tellico, I grew up in Cleveland so I've fished it (and the Bald and North River) a few times. Maybe my memory is bad, but it seems like the Bald use to produce better than it does now...or maybe I was a better fisherman back then.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:21 PM

I'd offer to take ya this Monday but I have plans with a member from another board on the clinch. I should be free the following Saturday if your interested.

Email Punk

Old 05-21-2014, 06:14 PM

Talking

Nathan and I did the same thing you did at Sycamore. Caught lots of tiny rainbows and no Brookies. We then went to the hatchery and spoke with the TWRA folks (one guy was in the youtube video talking about the restoration) who told us we needed to go up further and it was easier to access from the top end. Where it first hits the gradient and loses the trail he said were some, but going further up was the recommendation.

I need to learn this area better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGjteRBCGrY
Old 05-21-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Nathan and I did the same thing you did at Sycamore. Caught lots of tiny rainbows and no Brookies. We then went to the hatchery and spoke with the TWRA folks (one guy was in the youtube video talking about the restoration) who told us we needed to go up further and it was easier to access from the top end. Where it first hits the gradient and loses the trail he said were some, but going further up was the recommendation.

I need to learn this area better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGjteRBCGrY

The one I missed sort of shocked me. I thought to myself, "**** yeah you've found em." Lmao

But as you know, I sure as heck didn't.

I bushwacked and fished up from where the trail leaves the creek and sort of splits into a dry gulley on the left, a trickle in the middle and the main flow on the right. But it was getting dark and I was alone in the woods, so I decided to head back.

I'm determined to find them whenever I can get back down there. Which is soon I hope. Living 25 mins from the clinch I tend to gravitate there.