Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-19-2014, 08:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

Giant water beetle larvae...figured it out!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:18 PM

I know that is what your picture looks like or: http://bugguide.net/node/view/256007

There are only so many bugs out there. First you didn't say where you found the bug. Second your photo is blurry. Third it could just be a young larva.

When birds are hatched the feathers don't look like feathers. Some have no feathers at all, just fine hair like looking things.

Did you keep your bug alive? If so keep it alive and see what it turns into. A "Predator" or just a scary fly of some kind.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:40 PM

Yes I know they are.
First you need to have a clear picture to ID your bug.

Second its a larva.

Third you didn't say where you found it, state, country. Pool water may have mutated it to a point where it has changed, or it could be a cripple larva.

A baby bug that isn't developed right by injury or birth defect.

How many millimeter/centimeters, inches is it? Width and length. That could be a good start.

If you don't hear the answer you want to hear here try this place maybe someone there will tell you.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/6/bgimage
Old 05-19-2014, 08:46 PM

Not to be mean but why did you post a old swimming pool bug you found in the
Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing forum?

You should be posting it in this forum: http://bugguide.net/forum
Old 05-19-2014, 09:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

Thought someone could help me figure out what it is. You and your attitude are also the reason I don't post more in here. Sorry if my question bothered you your Highness. Hope to see you on the stream some day. You'll know me. I'll be the guy catching fish when you're not.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:41 PM

My thoughts exactly my friend.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:58 PM

It's probably a hellgrammite......oh wait you already said it wasn't. I'd say it's a hellgrammite then. People wonder where Hank Patterson comes up with his material for his skits(if you haven't watched him, YouTube him ). I'll tell ya where he gets it...... From people like imnohero making fly fishermen everywhere look like arrogant snobs. To answer your question though..... It's a hellgrammite..... No not really
Old 05-19-2014, 10:47 PM

I've never seen that critter before, I've seen the adult beetles and their nasty in their own right, but didn't know the larva were bad news as well.

There is nothing more terrifying then a big male Dobson fly. The first one I ever saw landed on me at a campfire on the Hiwassee eons ago, I still have nightares.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:05 PM

Whoa, I missed page 2 entirely, didn't intend to step into family drama. Had enough of that today in probate court. I think it's a Dobson fly/ helgramite based on the pincers, but what do I know.

steve
Old 05-20-2014, 12:22 PM

2weight,

You asked for our help. I told you what I thought it was. Most of the posts here agreed with me on what your pool bug was.

You told me no it wasn't. For someone who had asked for advice on what your pool bug was I tried to help. You told me no it wasn't, funny how you had no idea what your pool bug was but what I think it is is wrong to you.

Funny how you know it is not what I thought it was but you complain about me trying to help you. Maybe it's just you, I understand why you don't post here.

Well I thought it was funny how a "smoky mountain fishing forum " was the place for you to post a picture of a bug you found in a old swimming pool.

I do understand now why you don't post here.