Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-19-2014, 05:25 PM

Default Elkmont 5/17 - 5/18

Saturday morning, I arrived at the parking lot for the Little River trail about 10:30 am. Started working my way upstream from the cabins, fishing the pools and riffles. Using a Light Cahill parachute with a green weeny dropper. I had a lot of interest from the trout in the light Cahill

caught one on the dropper. Shortly after this photo was taken I had to cut my day short by 1:00 due to Slip on the river bank thereby breaking my rod. I headed home to call Cabelas to see if I could order new piece as the one year warranty had expired about 2 months ago. They told me that they do not sell replacement parts. Well they lost me as a customer.

Sunday morning I headed straight for LRO to get me a new rod.Daniel Drake was very helpful and helped me pick out a Temple forks rod. I went with the Temple forks solely because of their lifetime warranty. So I have a new rod, I had to to try it out to make sure I was happy with it. I headed straight back to Elkmont. arriving at 10:30.

I Saw some yellow sally hatches. but the trout would not rivse for yellow sally's, They would only rise for the Light Cahill parachute.

Fished the Light Cahill with a tellico dropper and I had alot interest in both.

Dues to procrastinating on some house hold chores I had to wrap the trip up by 4:30. By The way Love the rod. Thanks Daniel!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:01 PM

Looks those rainbows have been eating well. Sorry to hear about your rod. I love the service at LRO.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the report. I will be hitting this section hard this weekend seeing as Im staying with family and wont be able to journey too far out from Elkmont. Cant beat that TFO return, only like $30 too. Unlike Loop and Sage who ive paid close to $100 for replacement tips..
Old 05-20-2014, 03:26 PM

Man I have had the broken rod blues twice this year, same rod. Luckily it was tfo. Unluckily it was a custom tfo. My $25 fee got me new blanks, and a need for a rod builder. Last custom rod for me...

Other than that it sounded like a great time on the water. Glad your rod was the only thing you broke!

Email Punk

http://lastdrifteffort.blogspot.com
Old 05-20-2014, 05:26 PM

TFO's return policy was definitely what sold me. flyphish, Elkmont should be great this weekend and most likely packed.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:03 PM

I figured its going to be packed but what can you do? Ill be up there again with the fireflies crowd, conveniently the only time I could break away from work in Nashville. Guess I'll have to be the first one in there and lay claim to my section of water?
Old 05-21-2014, 03:46 PM

I have not decided yet where I will be going this weekend but if you see me stop by and say hi. I usually wear the same ugly hat as in the my avatar photo.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:56 PM

Sounds like you had loads of fun fishing but for the pole trick. TFO has a great warrenty, its for life of the first owner. brake it get a new one or they fix it for free for life, unconditional too. Its not free it costs shipping there and $20 for shipping back.

TFO link at Cabelas

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brows...&WTz_stype=GNU
Old 05-21-2014, 06:06 PM

Talking

I've broken my TFO 4 times already I'm sure you won't regret the purchase.

Thanks for the report and nice fish

I used to have a net like that. In fact that may be the only purchase I've made at LRO that I regretted. **** flies would always get stuck in it. I normally sound like I have turret's when fishing, but was even more so when I had that net. I ended up going to Bass Pro and get the $35 Frabill ghost net since a $100+ net was not in the cards for me. I gave it to a friend which in hind sight now seems mean

Keep the post coming
Old 05-27-2014, 10:50 AM

Despite the crowds I managed the grand slam without too much trouble Sunday 5/25. I had to hike with family and girlfriend most of the time but was able to slip away Sunday afternoon for some fishing. All my spots were easily accessible and fish of all species were plentiful. All caught on stimulator/ pheasant tail dropper rig. Great time