Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-27-2015, 08:02 PM

Post 2015 Broken Rod Club

Well,
Unfortunately I joined the 2015 Broken Rod Club early by snapping my new 7wt TFO BVK on a meaty trout late Wednesday. I think some of the previous days of fishing extremely cold weather may have contributed to this break. I just hope I do not climb in count as the year progresses. Four broken rods last year was a big surprise to me and one of the primary reasons I jumped to a 7wt.

Well, I leave the next post for the newest member.

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-27-2015, 08:57 PM

Yikes. I just received a new BVK 5wt 8.6ft in the mail, I had been shoping EBAY 6 months till I got the deal I wanted. Sorry to hear your news. Thank god for tbe $25 repair policy. On a side note if you will please email the exact hole where that trout mugged you, I will see if he does it to my 5wt!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 02-28-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
Yikes. I just received a new BVK 5wt 8.6ft in the mail, I had been shoping EBAY 6 months till I got the deal I wanted. Sorry to hear your news. Thank god for tbe $25 repair policy. On a side note if you will please email the exact hole where that trout mugged you, I will see if he does it to my 5wt!
Bigsur,
TFO has been fabulous in fixing my previous broken rods. The last one I sent was a nine day turnaround. Sent a RL the same day and was about a 50 day turnaround plus three times the repair fee. One tip to people in business; always have spectacular customer service! It will reap returns in ways you cannot measure and solidify your customer base.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:05 AM

Shawn, you hit the nail on the head. The customer is always right. Nobody likes waiting on rod repairs. Sorry to hear about your rod but if you ain't breaking poles you ain't tryin' hard enough
Old 02-28-2015, 09:26 AM

TFO are famous for broken rods , a friend new a guy who had spent several thousand dollars for a trip to a Salt trip early on the first day of his trip he broke a BVK . Trip over what a waste of time and money to save a few bucks on bad equipment , No Thanks
Old 02-28-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
TFO are famous for broken rods , a friend new a guy who had spent several thousand dollars for a trip to a Salt trip early on the first day of his trip he broke a BVK . Trip over what a waste of time and money to save a few bucks on bad equipment , No Thanks
I am still getting a feel for TFO's quality. However; I have broken and seen more higher end rods break while simply fighting a fish. I love fishing my RLs and they cast better (more accurately) than any other rod I have fished. However; they like to break went fighting a meaty fish (<20" with some girth). I feel the higher price of equipment should equate to a higher level of customer service. Orvis may have one of the best business models in the industry. I do worry the TFO's may be bulk product with average quality; but, they have excellent customer service. So; for me-it is a balancing act in choosing what rod to fish at any particular time. Also; as your friend may have learned; I pledge to always take a back up or pay the Darwinian Price.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:30 AM

Smile

once those beads whack the rod, even the tiniest ones, it is just a matter of time.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Congleton View Post
once those beads whack the rod, even the tiniest ones, it is just a matter of time.
You are right about that aspect. I can actually remember two incidents last year of a sloppy cast allowing a nice/dense tungsten bead making distinct contact with my rod. Then, the rod failing later that morning. The other ones are a bit mysterious and I believe it was actually repetitive stressing the rod with good fish. Not that it was a problem. However; I do think some of my rod handling skills got a little sloppy a few days and I exploited the lifting power of the rod while fishing from my boat.

I am candid about my experiences in hopes that others can thwart a bad trip by carrying a backup.

*Note: Mailed my TFO BVK Rod off this morning from Norris via USPS Priority Mail to Dallas. I will update this post once I get it back to add full perspective to this issue.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Shawn,
Sorry to hear about the rod. Hopefully you are getting the broken rods out of the way early and the rest of the year will be clear sailing for you.

TFO is fantastic with customer service and getting rods back quickly. The premium rods from Sage, Winston, Scott, Orvis always take longer to get back on a repair. Those rods actually get repaired. A few of the big makers will even keep (or used to) sheets of graphite from production runs so they can re-build pieces with the same original materials.

Rod repair costs from all the companies have gone up this year. TFO has gone up to $35 per repair. This is in direct response to increased costs from UPS and FedEx. The shipping companies have gone to charging by dimensional cost and bulky but light packages such as a tube for shipping a rod really showed an increase.

It is hard for us to know if TFO rods break more often than premium rods. We do send a lot more rods back to TFO.....BUT that is a function of we sell a ton more TFO rods than any other rods. Premium rods from any brand are going to be more fragile than a cheap due to the nature of the material or lack of material.

All that being said....we really love TFO as a company. They do a great job with keeping people on the water.

Shawn, if we can help with that rod repair just give me a call or email. Thanks!

Daniel Drake
Old 03-01-2015, 07:54 PM

Shawn,

eager to hear the results on the time it takes for you to actually get your rod back. My results from this past year:

Orvis Helios 2 - 48 hrs rods backs to me. Replaced w/ new not repaired. Best Nymph and Dry fly rods I have.

TFO - 2 months and very similar break as yours. Repaired and the fee that Daniel spoke about is in effect. TFO - most affordable rods I have.

Sage One - 1 1/2 months and repaired not replaced. The Sage rods I have back ups for because of all rods mentioned....can't go without when streamer fishing.

Over 5 years of heavy use, the Sage One 7 and 9 wt. have been worked the most and broke the least. Honestly, the least fragile of those mentioned.

TFO - 5 and 9 wt. BVKs and the Mangrove, used the least and broke the most. Like casting a bamboo rod compared to the Sage One.

Don't know if Orvis is making a statement with customer service on the H2 by such a quick and easy turn around but pleasantly surprised to get a rod back so quick.

Curious in the Winston and Scott rods throwing double and triple articulated streamers or streamers with dumbbell weighted heads compared to the Sage One?

Overall, Sage One, even with slow customer service....my goto rods.

I reserve the right to accept responsibility in that I am not perfect in my rod care but not careless either.

Breck