Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-28-2014, 01:20 PM

I suggest the exchanges of insults between angler cease and the focus go to the issues at hand: which really boils down to how to convince TVA to fund ( or very substantially fund) the tailwater fisheries. There were several people at the meeting last night who have received local State and national awards for there contributions to the fisheries of the state AND TO THE GSMNP AS WELL. LETS SEE SOME OF YOU EARN SOME RECOGNITION HERE FOR CONTRIBUTIONS TO THIS PARTICULAR ISSUE.

A very well crafted, short, to the point form letter to TVA and the response site for the comments needs to be prepared and widely distributed by every fisherman, shop, guide, TU member, friend and relative etc and to anyone else who will either sign the letter or email the comment to the TVA comment site. Heck if 30,000 people sign up to fire a basketball coach surely we can get some response to this issue too.

Also, every fisher person on this board should write Lamar Alexander and thank him for his support on this issue…no matter how you feel otherwise about the man's politics he has certainly stood up for the fishermen both here and in the fight against the Corps of Engineers ban on fishing below dams.Believe me letters do count, and he can probably do more to influence the TVA decision here than anybody else out there.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:38 PM

Joe,

As the orginator of this post, I suggest it's like the army, I think you just volunteered to craft a letter we can send out, I also think you may be able to write one that does not get us sued! Like you said a short, clear, concise couple of paragraphs that can be posted here, copied and pasted, with the addition of their individual signature and sent on via whatever method they choose, with an address or email link provided. i am active in three TU chapters and can get the copy out to them, I also suggest a grass roots effort. In other words when you are out at the rivers, hand a few copies out to other fishing enthusists, most are willing to help but they have to be made aware of the issue first, word of mouth is cheap and effective backed by a letter to send to officials.

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 05-28-2014, 01:51 PM

bigsur, based on the figures you posted of .10 annually for ratepayers of TVA (my .35 was obviously way high) to absorb the cost and keep the hatcheries operational is rather ridiculous for TVA not to step up and accept the responsibility. Oil companies will hike costs without notification, you enjoy that burden at the gas pump on any given day when it jumps .25 or better per gallon. We reluctantly pay it, don't have too much choice in the matter unless we want to walk or ride a bike. I guess the point is that we will pay the increase for gas without question, would any of TVA ratepayers notice that their level billing jumped by less than a penny per month and be questioning why?
Old 05-28-2014, 02:15 PM

That number of .10 was from our State TU rep, not sure how he did the math, did it include just TN or was Georgia and other areas added in. You are correct the impact is
almost meaningless when it comes to my power bill. The problem for TVA is once again perception, how do you sell it to non-anglers, I would also think a portion could be absorbed also by TWRA, but that is their rub how do you sell it to non trout fishing anglers. I buy license's in NC and TN and trout stamps for both, now I know as well as you half the people on these tailwaters do not have a trout stamp. I would willingly pay my increase for the trout stamps, but I would like to see enforcement on the water for those who do not buy. I also have been told by enforcement unless they are in possesion of the trout, you can catch them all day and if you are releasing you can beat the stamp (i.e. I was fishing for sculpin and just happened to catch this big rainbow but I am going to let it go!). Like life no easy answers, a slippery slope, action, reaction, I guess politiicans live this way daily, me I just want a fish!

Old 05-28-2014, 02:19 PM

Smile

I have some awards. Big Sur heres your chance to earn yours. Heck, they've retired my number at TU. You or someone else go get the stadium named after you by writing the letter and getting it distributed.

I was amazed that no upper east Tenn folks showed up at the meeting. I think this is the last Tenn area public session last night. I called some fisherfolk up there and they were unaware of the issues. There must be ten different guides there and in North Carolina who sure would hate to row on empty rivers.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Congleton View Post
Also, every fisher person on this board should write Lamar Alexander and thank him for his support on this issue…no matter how you feel otherwise about the man's politics he has certainly stood up for the fishermen both here and in the fight against the Corps of Engineers ban on fishing below dams.Believe me letters do count, and he can probably do more to influence the TVA decision here than anybody else out there.
I agree and would add that in addition to thanking him, we should also remind him that we expect continued results from him on our behalf. If enough people are contacting him, it will mean a LOT in terms of getting something done...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-28-2014, 02:48 PM

Bigsur,

Not to get off topic, but it is my understanding that if you are fishing in a river or stream that harbors trout, you must have a trout stamp no exceptions or face a fine. Many years ago on the Hiwassee, one of the people in the party I was with did not have a trout stamp and he proceeded to tell the Warden that he was fishing for Smallmouth. He let him off with stern warning but told him if there is stocked or wild trout in the river or stream, you must have a trout stamp to fish the water.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:58 PM

Joe,
I was just exhibiting the mark of true upper management, handing out jobs without actually picking up the shovel. I see you are too crafty for that, I view you and many other's here and on TU as great sources of previous campaigns. I am a firm believer in knowing history but not stuck in it, the lessons learned keep you from getting burned. I also embrace new technology, new ideas, and looking for answers under rocks never turned over before. I also quickly came to the conclusion that many chairs will need to be set at the table to get this done, yes we will need to break bread even with the wormcasters! What everyone needs to be aware of is this is not one groups exclusive domain, these rivers belong to all, a healthy river is a refelection of a communities invlovement This project is a thornbush of problems that will arise, however like football it's a game of inches than lo an behold you look up and your on the goal line. The best part for me last night was driving home laughing knowing somebody at all of these agencies had to assign somebody today to find out what the **** a Git 'N Go was!

Last edited by bigsur; 05-28-2014 at 03:27 PM..
Old 05-28-2014, 03:26 PM

Big Sur

"Not to get off topic, but it is my understanding that if you are fishing in a river or stream that harbors trout, you must have a trout stamp no exceptions or face a fine. Many years ago on the Hiwassee, one of the people in the party I was with did not have a trout stamp and he proceeded to tell the Warden that he was fishing for Smallmouth. He let him off with stern warning but told him if there is stocked or wild trout in the river or stream, you "must have a trout stamp to fish the water"

I had this discussion once before and just called to clarify TWRA enforcement with one of the law enforcement chiefs in Nashville who I have talked with before, who just happened to work E.Tennessee in years past and yes loves the Caney and has fished with some of our guides to this day. He was out until tomorrow but posed the question to one of his staff, just because a water is stocked does not require a stamp you must be targeting a fish, once again a slippery slope, I drilled down the question to a lot of people use fly rods for small mouth what than? As I mentioned in other post unless you are coming up the bank, got one in the boat or some other form of possesion, and you are releasing you can make an argument that you just caught this by mistake you really were looking for carp! May be why your friend just got a stern lecture, not a debate I want to have in the river, I get the stamp and fish worry free in two states. Hope this helps!

Old 05-28-2014, 03:47 PM

Work had me distracted for most of today and reading through the latest posts there's a lot of good ideas being thrown around.

I find it astounding as Rick Murphree pointed out last night that approx .10 cents per year is how much it would cost per ratepayer to solve this issue. Is this right? I honestly cannot put aside my bias to make that call, but it would absolutely solve the problem.

I know Twra is stretched thin, but they benefit the most from these resources so maybe they should consider an increase in the trout stamp to generate more revenue. As it is now, the 21.00 is cheap when you look at the vastness of waters it opens up access to and amount of fish a trout stamp could provide for food value.

You could also, sell two different trout stamps, one that allows for harvest and one that is for catch and release anglers. This alone could probably cover the difference.

I do not think a good option is spreading the pain around to a bunch of different groups, the burden should remain on TVa and twra IMO. Getting other groups involved could get messy and cause long term issues.

I believe to my very core that the annual costs could be significantly reduced through a new management philosophy from twra.

I also think tva deserves some credit for the improvements they've made to our rivers in the way of weirs, hub baffles, aeration pipes, etc. naturally this wasn't all done out of kindness, but they still have worked fairly diligently to improve the water quality in our rivers.