Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-28-2014, 05:02 PM

By my calculations the cost per household would be much smaller. Taking into account that large companies (manufacturers etc) use significantly more energy than the average home owner, I decided to distribute the cost per usage of TVA's total energy sold.

Some of this data is somewhat dated

>In 2011, TVA sold 167,730 million kWh
>The average home uses 10,837 kWh per year
>The annual sum needed to maintain fisheries is $906,191

With this information, the average homeowner could expect to pay $.06 extra per year. Obviously, industries with higher energy demands will be paying significantly more per year.

Math:

(10,837kWh / 167,730,000,000kWh) * $906,191 = $.059
Old 05-28-2014, 07:07 PM

Keep the ideas flowing! We need to get the counties that will be most impacted involved as well. I doubt Mayor Whateverhisnameis is even aware that thousands of tax dollars will be flowing out of their counties if this goes through. Tax money spent on gas, food , lodging, trout shops will dry up. Should we start a campaign to call these above places and let them know or say over the next week or two as we fill up with gas, food, etc make a special effort to find the owner and call and let them no that if this goes through you will be no longer using their store to buy items?

Thanks for all the great support last night. Thank you Joe for starting the ball rolling with your responses. A quick note however Joe. Even the stone that they chiseled your TU number in will eventually decay over time!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:49 PM

I had this discussion once before and just called to clarify TWRA enforcement with one of the law enforcement chiefs in Nashville who I have talked with before, who just happened to work E.Tennessee in years past and yes loves the Caney and has fished with some of our guides to this day. He was out until tomorrow but posed the question to one of his staff, just because a water is stocked does not require a stamp you must be targeting a fish, once again a slippery slope, I drilled down the question to a lot of people use fly rods for small mouth what than? As I mentioned in other post unless you are coming up the bank, got one in the boat or some other form of possesion, and you are releasing you can make an argument that you just caught this by mistake you really were looking for carp! May be why your friend just got a stern lecture, not a debate I want to have in the river, I get the stamp and fish worry free in two states. Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

Bigsur, thanks for the follow-up, this will be the last comment on this subject of trout stamps as I want to keep this post on topic.
It was many years when we were fishing the Hiwassee, our second time on the river to be exact. We were fishing in the known area as the "trophy" section when a game official waded out to us asking to see our fishing license. I along with my two friends presented our license, but the second buddy did not have a trout stamp and he asked him "where is your trout stamp"? My friend proceeded to inform him that he was not fishing for trout, instead he was fishing for smallmouth bass. When the Warden said to him, hmmm a size 20 BWO on 6x tippet, please don't play me as a fool, I just about started to laugh as I knew my friend was in some trouble; he was always a renegade when it came to rules. But I thought I recalled him saying that regardless if you are fishing for bass, if trout are in the water that you are fishing, you must possess a trout stamp with your license; it was only 16 years ago, I could be wrong. Of course my friend could not let it just go with that, he started to argue with the warden informing him that he does not keep any fish, he is catch and release only (which is totally true), that he is not like others out there filling a creel basket and therefore should be exempt from having to purchase one, just a fishing license alone should be suffice. Valid as the point he made, the warden just warned him, letting him know that if he ever saw him out there again without a trout stamp, the outcome will not be favorable for him. Of course, I said thanks for the kindness he showed toward my bullheaded friend.
Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:49 AM

Thanks to all who attended. I attended same meeting a couple of years ago but didn't make the latest one. Did submit survey form.

Phil
Old 05-29-2014, 11:43 AM

Below is a link straight to the comments section to TVA hatchery issue:

https://tvaforms.wufoo.com/forms/fis...-comment-form/

This is a different link than to TVA webanair and takes you straight to the comments section.

We have had hunderds of people who have viewed this post since I first added it and I hope everyone will take a few minutes to add their comments. Please pass the link on to everyone who will use it.

I have added my post comments below as a possible guideline for others to use.
Feel free to use your own, write what you know, everyone has a different outlook on an issue.

1. Please be respectful in comments, I would imagine rants are tossed
2. List your affiliations, group associations increase impact

My submitted post as a possible example:

"I attended the meeting Tuesday night and appreciate the chance to respond. I am a TVA/KUB ratepayer, an active member in three Trout Unlimited chapters in Tennessee, and a Tennessee and North Carolina fishing license holder with trout stamps in both states. This is in addition to living within 10 minutes of the Norris dam tail waters and fishing these tail waters 3-4 times a week. I feel an answer must be found for future trout hatchery funding no matter what proposal is utilized. The impact and importance to the cities and counties located within these tail waters goes far beyond the simple stocking of trout, this affects the security of workers and the employers ability to provide these jobs within these areas. The simple task of buying gas, food, and supplies whether a fisherman, boater, or the general public can affect the economy of these areas and should be recognized and valued. Please continue including the general public in these ongoing discussions and workshops and count my vote as a yes for future funding."

Joe has added in another post for a link to Senator Alexander and I appreciate that. I will add more links to those i think can and should help with this issue. Thanks!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Last edited by bigsur; 05-29-2014 at 12:43 PM..
Old 05-29-2014, 12:47 PM

Big sur

Hope you don't mind but I paraphrased a bit from what you have to fit those of us from out of state. To those who may be from out of state, feel free to plagarize from what I submitted...

"I was unable to attend the meeting Tuesday night, but have reviewed electronic media for information regarding this current situation and appreciate the chance to provide comments. Though I live two states away and my closest Trout Water is about 3.5 hours away, I consider TN my primary trout fishing waters. I make several trips a year to TN specifically with the intention to fish your trout waters, from tailwaters, other stocked streams, and waters not stocked. I have hired guides, lodged at several different hotels, cabins, and campgrounds in your State, with the centerpiece purpose being on going trout fishing. I recently purchaced a drift boat with a specific intent to come to TN tailwaters to expand my trout fishing oppotunities. I hope local cities, counties and the State appreciates the importance of myself and like minded trout enthusiast who enjoy your State's resources and opportunities to fish quality managed trout waters. I have to beleive that our impact on the economies of these areas is significant and goes far beyond the simple stocking of trout, This issue affects the security of workers and the employers ability to provide these jobs within these areas. The simple task of buying gas, food, and supplies whether a fisherman, boater, or the general public can affect the economy of these areas and should be recognized and valued. I feel an answer must be found for future trout hatchery funding no matter what proposal is utilized. Please continue including the general public in these ongoing discussions and workshops and count my vote as a yes for future funding.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Big sur

Hope you don't mind but I paraphrased a bit from what you have to fit those of us from out of state. To those who may be from out of state, feel free to plagarize from what I submitted...

"I was unable to attend the meeting Tuesday night, but have reviewed electronic media for information regarding this current situation and appreciate the chance to provide comments. Though I live two states away and my closest Trout Water is about 3.5 hours away, I consider TN my primary trout fishing waters. I make several trips a year to TN specifically with the intention to fish your trout waters, from tailwaters, other stocked streams, and waters not stocked. I have hired guides, lodged at several different hotels, cabins, and campgrounds in your State, with the centerpiece purpose being on going trout fishing. I recently purchaced a drift boat with a specific intent to come to TN tailwaters to expand my trout fishing oppotunities. I hope local cities, counties and the State appreciates the importance of myself and like minded trout enthusiast who enjoy your State's resources and opportunities to fish quality managed trout waters. I have to beleive that our impact on the economies of these areas is significant and goes far beyond the simple stocking of trout, This issue affects the security of workers and the employers ability to provide these jobs within these areas. The simple task of buying gas, food, and supplies whether a fisherman, boater, or the general public can affect the economy of these areas and should be recognized and valued. I feel an answer must be found for future trout hatchery funding no matter what proposal is utilized. Please continue including the general public in these ongoing discussions and workshops and count my vote as a yes for future funding.

Hoosier, thanks for quick response, my submitted post is simply suggested, you added what is your personal experience that is exactly what it should be, write what you know! Please pass the link on to all interested parties who enjoy our tailwaters in Tennessee and Georgia.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:51 AM

Thanks Bigsur for providing the link to the comment section for the hatchery issue. This was my comment:

Residing in Ohio coupled with a family emergency prevented me from attending the Tuesday meeting in person or via Webinar; with that being said, I would like to provide some comments.

Living in Southwest Ohio, we have two small rivers within a 1-1/2 hour drive that harbor trout. Because there is an overall lack of trout streams locally, these two fisheries are heavily pressured and visiting them can be more of a hassle than it is worth. Due to this situation, I started exploring alternatives via the internet back in 1998 and read several articles regarding the Hiwassee River which boasted quality trout fishing and beautiful scenery. It did not take much convincing for me and two of my close friends to get in the car and make the 5-1/2 hour trek to try this fishery ourselves. Since that day, we together, individually or along with numerous others have traveled back to Tennessee to fish the Hiwassee, Tellico, Clinch and South Holston Rivers, countless times to enjoy the exceptional trout fishing and beauty of the surroundings. By virtue of these trips, we have stimulated the local commerce through purchases of gas, food at stores and restaurants, camping, hotel accommodations, cabin lodging, fishing guides, supplies from fly shops, license…..and the list goes on. I cannot really grasp how much money we have spent in the state of Tennessee over the past 16 years, I can imagine that figure is somewhat staggering.

Fast forward from the first trip to the Hiwassee in 1998; I purchased land and a home in Reliance Tennessee, 3 years ago which is located just a few minutes from the Hiwassee River. My plan is to eventually retire there; in the meantime I visit our home at least twice a month primarily with the intent to fish the Hiwassee. During these visits, I generally bring others along to enjoy the place and to get a chance to fish the Hiwassee or Tellico River for trout. Therefore, at this point I am not only speaking as an out-of-state enthusiast, but also as a TVA/TEC ratepayer. I am a T.U. member that has purchased an annual out of state Tennessee fishing license with a trout stamp (now an all species) since 1998. Here in Ohio, I belong to B.U.F.F. (Buckeye United Fly Fishers) and H.O.T.O (Heart of the Outdoors) two groups with a total combined membership of approximately 400 people. Between these two organizations, a significant amount of the members go on trips with me or otherwise to the tail water fisheries in Tennessee to pursue quality trout fishing. Speaking as property owner and a TVA/TEC ratepayer, I have a vested interest to see these hatcheries remaining operational and to keep the rivers stocked with trout in the future. I also speak on behalf of a multitude of others here in Ohio, who frequents the Tennessee fisheries making significant contributions toward local economies; all who want to see these hatcheries remain operational securing the trout population in these rivers.

I encourage you to be diligent in your pursuit to find a means to appropriate the funds required to keep these hatcheries operational, not just for those who enjoy trout fishing but for many who will be impacted economically if they were to close.

Thanks for your time and for including the public in these discussion and allowing comments. I trust that there will be a resolution to this quandary, please count my vote as a “yes” for future funding
Old 06-02-2014, 04:39 PM

Attached are some links to towns in the vicinity of two of the affected tailwaters. and of course the link to the TVA comment section which is open for another week to submission of comments.

TVA Comments Link
https://tvaforms.wufoo.com/forms/fish-hatcheries-public-comment-form/

Please feel free to send these people your commnets regarding the possible loss of future funding. As I gain new links I will add, for those in the Hiwassee area please feel free to make us aware of the people of influence in those areas so they can be notified of how we feel about the policy or lack of. Thanks to everyone in advance that helps spread the word.

Clinch River
Clinton, TN
Mayor Scott Burton
sburton@clintontn.net

Anderson County Chamber of Commerce
President Jackie L Nichols
jackie@andersoncountychamber.org

South Holston

Bristol, TN
Mayor Michelle Dolan
mdolan@bristoltn.org

Bristol Chamber of Commerce
Joy Madison - President & CEO
jmadison@bristolchamber.org

Old 06-03-2014, 09:31 AM

Talking

Hey John will you shoot me your contact info?

I thought I had it, but can't find it for the life of me

jtlocke @ tds dot net

Thanks