Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-07-2014, 08:16 AM

Although I am a fairly recent retiree from TVA, six years now, I still maintain contact with a couple of friends who currently work there. After a nearly thirty year career with them I have seen a lot of significant changes with the agency however, the latest one is very depressing. Some things the general public may not know is the extent and magnitude of their current cost cutting efforts. To name a few...... Several of the oldest coal fired plants are being shuttered. The Live Well centers are closed/ closing. The TVA police force was abandoned in favor of contractors or local law enforcement. An offer went out recently for voluntary layoffs, nothing new but a large number of people responded. But the real eye opener was what was announced most recently; new hires as of July 1 would not be given a pension option! If TVA management can have this kind of attitude toward their own employees, where do you think fisheries ranks?

I seriously doubt that TVA can be considered a source for funding beyond that time which has been stated. Opponents and even from some within have for decades wanted to sell TVA. The stumbling block is the huge nuclear debt that they carry and pay interest on which has to be a major driver of their budget expenditures. Supporting fisheries, or even development of long term dedicated employees, is way, way down the list.

I agree that those of us who enjoy trout fishing would gladly pay for a more expensive trout stamp if it means we can continue to catch trout in tailgaters.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:51 AM

Nashville Electric Service has a voluntary Help Program to assist people in paying their electric bill. Cost one dollar per month. In 2012, the year for which I could find data, there were 361,252 accounts. From those accounts, $147,000 dollars were raised, so a little less than half the account holders contributed. Probably pie in the sky, but it makes you wonder if the utilities that get their electricity from TVA would agree to a voluntary option on their customer bills to donate 25 cents a month to sustain the hatcheries.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:25 AM

Default Unlike Algae, Gators & Career Politicians... Game Fish Can't Survive Stagnation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
Just sent Lamar Alexander an e-mail. He's been in the store a few times so I know he does fly fish for trout. Lamar has a history of standing up for sportsmen. He once said he remembered a time when there were more Tennessee fishing and hunting license holders than people who voted in a statewide election.

Byron
Byron, I think well of Senator Alexander, but with all due respect, as long as Harry Reid is Speaker, I think Lamar and congress in general are powerless to affect meaningful and economically beneficial change having anything to do with domestic energy production and delivery entities. They can't even get the Keystone XL Pipeline approved for crying out loud. (On the subject of commenting: http://www.energyxxi.org/keystone-petition)

Based on my small sampling of sales data, there has already been (going back 3-4 years) a huge drop off in people being able to travel to the area to take advantage of the fishery gems. Some who once might have done so now either have no job at all or one that pays too little to afford vacations. I imagine there are thousands others having to work two part-time jobs in order to make ends meet and as a result have little or no time off.

November 4th can't come soon enough for me. Learn about registering, voting, how the electoral college works, contacting elected officials, and more at http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/Voting.shtml

Last edited by JoeFred; 06-08-2014 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: Changed "get a bill on the Keystone XL Pipeline to come to a vote" to "get the Keystone XL Pipeline approved"
Old 06-09-2014, 12:20 PM

As we have been posting the deadline is tomorrow for your comments on the TVA site if you have not done so please do or add more comments.

Here is the link once again:

https://tvaforms.wufoo.com/forms/fish-hatcheries-public-comment-form/

Today I am not gong to quote numbers and facts but real life feelings from this weekend. Saturday, the Clinch River Chapter Trout Unlimited held our annual Kid's Fish Free in conjunction with TWRA and TVA. This is a big event we hold at the Miller's Island Ramp where children and their families can enjoy a day on the river, with fishing either spinners or fly, learning to tie flys, learning about the river and of course take boat rides in drift boats and small boats with a TU member, where they can try their luck on the water.

This event is the very defintion of what the trout stocking program does for these tailwater rivers. We see families who return each year for this day, and interact with our TU members and have a day of fun fishing, a free cookout, and prizes provided by TU. Most importantly we see families introduced, some for the first time to the world of fishing and the joy of outdoor life. In a world of 3 minute music videos, and Xbox games of explosions and mayhem, it is amazing to see a child slow down and actually enjoy the sport of fishing and all it brings. We literally can see the transformation as the families launch from the boat area or wade in the water with our TU members as they fish and drop behind the frantic pace of deadlines and commitments. The Clinch must look like the mighty Mississippi to a child as they take that first boat ride and lo and behold catch that first trout. When they take that first picture holding a living fish in their hands, no video game can duplicate that feeling or sense of joy.

Will they go on to be outdoors men or women, will their families continue on the path to enjoying the sport, whose to say. What is certain in a world of budget cuts for schools whether the elimination of band programs, athletics and theater this one day gives families a way to spend time together with only the cost of getting there incurred. The one known fact is; it is a day a child will never forget as they spend time on the water with their family and friends. Will that young person go on to a professional guide, a scientist discovering a new anwser to an decades old problem, a conservationist protecting a mountain stream, or as most of us a lover of the sport and outdoors.

Take a minute of your time, send your comments, your minute may affect the future years of the next generation.

Thanks!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Last edited by bigsur; 06-09-2014 at 04:12 PM..
Old 06-09-2014, 09:48 PM

Hats off to you Big Sur. You have done a wonderful job of leading this effort. l for one am very appreciative of your efforts. There is a lot to be done yet, l am sure, but you have the ball rolling.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:36 PM

I sent my comments earlier today.

God Bless,
Dances with Trout
Old 06-11-2014, 09:52 AM

As of this morning looks like TVA has kept the comments link open or extended the deadline not sure,
if you have not had the chance to comment yet or have additional comments looks like here is your chance.
Please keep contacting them, thanks!

TVA COMMENTS LINK:

https://tvaforms.wufoo.com/forms/fish-hatcheries-public-comment-form/

Old 06-11-2014, 02:19 PM

bigsur,

Thank you for pushing each of us to post a comment to the TVA website. I read you post re: the Kids Fishing day at the Clinch on Saturday...I recalled my experience as I was leaving the river and I have used your post as evidence that I am not the only one to find a purpose for supporting our Tennessee fisheries beyond my own desire to fish...Thank you!...Below is my comment on the TVA site.

Below is a quote from a posting on a forum that sums up the single best reason for finding a solution for continuing to fund hatcheries that support our beloved tail-waters and excellent fisheries in Tennessee. It is the opportunity to change the outlook of a young person and/or to allow a dad, a mom, an uncle, an aunt, a papaw or a mamaw to see a child with a different perspective. To see themselves in the joy that the child experiences holding that slippery trout as it writhes in their hands. I am not a member of the TU but I was out on the Clinch at Miller's Island last Saturday enjoying the fishing as well. I also enjoyed seeing this one boys eyes light up as the fella I was fishing with, brought his stringer of five trout by. He and his dad were about to head out of the water but they stopped me and asked us what we caught them on. We were happy to oblige and offered to give them the flies off our line. This young man was ready to fish the rest of the day. Fishing has a funny way breeding that perpetual state of hope...maybe the next cast! That is often quoted as just something funny to say. However, I could see it present on this boys face...He said "Come on dad! Lets go catch some fish!"...I managed to catch a few fish on Saturday and I released them all for another days catch or for someone else to enjoy another day. Ironically, I started the day with my friend as he had never fished the Clinch River tail-water. So I thought, my purpose was to share the Clinch with a seasoned fisherman. On the contrary, it was to be a a small part of bringing an ear to ear smile to the face of a child and in return be blessed by that same smile and excitement on his face. Please help us find a way to maintain priceless opportunities such as these by continuing to support our Tennessee fisheries.

"Today I am not gong to quote numbers and facts but real life feelings from this weekend. Saturday, the Clinch River Chapter Trout Unlimited held our annual Kid's Fish Free in conjunction with TWRA and TVA. This is a big event we hold at the Miller's Island Ramp where children and their families can enjoy a day on the river, with fishing either spinners or fly, learning to tie flys, learning about the river and of course take boat rides in drift boats and small boats with a TU member, where they can try their luck on the water.

This event is the very defintion of what the trout stocking program does for these tailwater rivers. We see families who return each year for this day, and interact with our TU members and have a day of fun fishing, a free cookout, and prizes provided by TU. Most importantly we see families introduced, some for the first time to the world of fishing and the joy of outdoor life. In a world of 3 minute music videos, and Xbox games of explosions and mayhem, it is amazing to see a child slow down and actually enjoy the sport of fishing and all it brings. We literally can see the transformation as the families launch from the boat area or wade in the water with our TU members as they fish and drop behind the frantic pace of deadlines and commitments. The Clinch must look like the mighty Mississippi to a child as they take that first boat ride and lo and behold catch that first trout. When they take that first picture holding a living fish in their hands, no video game can duplicate that feeling or sense of joy.

Will they go on to be outdoors men or women, will their families continue on the path to enjoying the sport, whose to say. What is certain in a world of budget cuts for schools whether the elimination of band programs, athletics and theater this one day gives families a way to spend time together with only the cost of getting there incurred. The one known fact is; it is a day a child will never forget as they spend time on the water with their family and friends. Will that young person go on to a professional guide, a scientist discovering a new answer to an decades old problem, a conservationist protecting a mountain stream, or as most of us a lover of the sport and outdoors."
Old 06-13-2014, 04:19 PM

If you have not done so, please take the time to consider emailing Senator Alexander on this issue. No matter where TVA comes out on funding, Senator Alexander is likely to play a substantial role in the future funding issues for our tailwater trout. He needs to know how many fisherman in this state appreciate the efforts he has put forth on our behalf, both here on the tailwater trout funding issue but also on the removal of the ban by the Corps of Engineers on fishing below its dams ---frankly l do not recall any other Senator from this state standing up for fishermen in this manner at any time in my life. Welcome approach.

From an earlier post, The email to Senator Alexander website :
alexander .senate.gov

The topic choice for emails: environment

Last edited by Joe Congleton; 06-17-2014 at 04:14 PM..
Old 06-17-2014, 12:20 PM

Default And the beat goes on...

As the song says the beat goes on, the TVA website comment section may be winding down but the issue is ongoing. When the bill was signed on May 17th, 2013 to continue Trout stocking funding for three years thru the help of Senator Lamar Alexander, that gave us about 1095 days to find an answer.

Well folks, guess what we now have about 700 days left and we need everyone's help from politicans, regulatory agencies, TVA. TWRA, TroutUnlimited, and media but most of all us; the ones out there everyday reaping the benefits of the outdoor life.

So today I have focused on elected official's email links and address pages where they can be contacted. I have tried to make all of these hot links where you simply press it and it goes directly to their site. Most of the links have pre-made areas where you just plug in your info and also has a built in area for messages. It could not be easier, no stamps no trips to the mailbox, however for those that prefer a letter that is great and physical mailing address are usually on their page also. The impact of a real letter versus email I think is much greater, but I understand convenience.

The first link and excerpt is the page from Senator Lamar Alexander's website about the bill signing on May 17th, 2013. As a side note people on here have asked about the number of fishing license sold in Tennessee, they quote 900,000, if that is correct a one dollar a year increase on a fishing license in Tennessee alone could float the boat for all 12 affected dam area!

BILL SIGNING LINK FROM MAY 17, 2013

https://news.tn.gov/node/10729

New Funding Agreement Announced for Federal Trout Hatchery Operation, Stocking Program

Friday, May 17, 2013 | 03:24 pm
NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency Nashville office was the site for a news conference where U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander, and officials from the Tennessee Valley Authority, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, TWRA, and the Georgia Department of Natural Resources announced a new agreement Friday to continue popular trout stocking programs in the Tennessee Valley region.
TVA will provide more than $900,000 per year over the next three years to support federal fish hatchery operations that provide trout for stocking. The stocking will occur in reservoirs and tailwaters of certain TVA dams in the region. In addition, the agencies also signed an agreement to form a working group with key stakeholders who benefit from the recreation-based trout stocking to identify a long-term funding source.
“The funding of the federal hatchery operations is vital to our agency’s ability to meet the demand for quality trout fishing in Tennessee,” said Ed Carter, TWRA Executive Director. “Their continued operation will help continue providing a tremendous recreational activity to thousands of Tennesseans. An associated but very important side benefit is the significant economic boost to local businesses associated with the fishing and outdoor industry.”
Currently, non-native trout stocked near some of TVA’s dams are raised at three federal fish hatcheries operated by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service: Erwin National Fish Hatchery in Erwin, Tenn.; Dale Hollow National Fish Hatchery in Celina, Tenn.; and Chattahoochee Forest National Fish Hatchery in Suches, Ga.
“Closing Dale Hollow and Erwin would have been a disaster for 900,000 Tennesseans and visitors who bought fishing licenses last year,” Alexander said. “Dale Hollow helps make Tennessee’s rivers and lakes among the most prized trout fisheries in our country. And the Erwin hatchery provides brood stocks for fishing waters across the country.”

The next links are for the elceted officials in the Tennessee area:

Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam
State Capitol
Nashville, TN 37243-0001
Fax 615)532-9711
Tel 615)741-2001
email: bill.haslam@tn.gov
web: http://www.state.tn.us/governor

bill.haslam@state.tn.us

Senator Lamar Alexander:

http://www.alexander.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=Email

Senator Bob Corker:

http://www.corker.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=ContactMe

I really like the next link below, it takes you to a map of Tennessee
and if you click on the District number besides the state Senator's name
it takes you to their website. It is the easiest link I have seen to reach one or all Senators in one link.

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/districtmaps/Senateeast.html

Today's post is elected officials, I will try to pick areas to target each time with a diffrent group that we think can help with the issue. Please make suggestions, I think we also need to focus on all the affected tailwaters, so if you have information or suggestions for groups are people to target for assistance in any of these tailwater areas please jump in and let us know where to direct our attention.

My biggest fear is two years from now if we do not solve this, I have to look at myself in the mirror and go I did not even try, not an image I am willing to live with. Get involved, all politics are local, it's your water, it's our towns, it's your future that will suffer the most, don't just be an observer!

Last edited by bigsur; 06-17-2014 at 01:39 PM..