Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-17-2014, 04:37 PM

Wow! So good to see they are stepping up.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:30 AM

BRF-not sure who has stepped up in terms of assuring funding for the needs?- so far not TVA nor USFWS that we know of? Hopefully the fishing public will make the contacts to the the elected official, tourism, and any other contacts that we are urging them to make, and then some government agencies will step up and pay for this.

Last edited by Joe Congleton; 06-18-2014 at 07:49 AM..
Old 06-18-2014, 09:52 AM

Blue raider, as Joe mentioned above I think you misread from the excerpt and link in my previous post, this was a paragraph from Sen. Alexander report a year ago when he stepped up and helped get the 3 year extension, thought that was clear in post if not here is clarification. We are still in hunt mode and have about 700 days if you use the date of the signing of the extension for funding by Sen. Alexander in May 2013. On a side note I fished the Clinch last night upper and lower as the generation flow moved from the dam to the jail and back. I got one really nice one about 6:30 before being chased from the water on a 2 generator flow at the jail. I ran into again the group of gentlemen who make the trip on a regular basis from Indiana, it was two of them this time and helps drive home how important these waters are economically to our area. Once again they get rooms, meals, gas and all the other expenses you incur on a road trip fishing. Hats off to them, they are the perfect example of what we are trying accomplish with this funding emergency.

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 06-20-2014, 10:33 AM

Someone asked me what kind of comment I am sending to our elected officials, below is what I sent the Governor of Tennessee in the last few days. I try to keep it brief and hope the person who reviews his emails will take mine and yours and pass it to not only the governor but the departments that can help us with this campaign. Thanks to everyone who is getting involved!

"I have attached a link concerning the TVA Trout Stocking budget shortfall, as our elected governor and a resident of East Tennessee, I hope you can see the concern we have over this issue especially with the Clinch River in our back yard. I would venture to say at some point Gov. Haslam has even enjoyed the fishing and boating on the Clinch. I write this as a registered voter, taxpayer, TVA ratepayer, member of Trout Unlimited but mostly as a concerned outdoors person and citizen. The economic impact for the towns and areas in these affected tail waters are huge, whether they are merchants of retail products (gas & food), hotels and motels, restaurants, fishing equipment suppliers, and yes the state of Tennessee with fishing license sales. I am personally working with as many groups as I can that have a vested interest and I am reaching out to my elected officials for help.

Please read
TVA REPORT LINK
http://www.tva.gov/hatchery/

Below is a recent post on a forum I recently submitted and sums up for me the personal and emotional side of this issue.

“Today I am not gong to quote numbers and facts but real life feelings from this weekend. Saturday, the Clinch River Chapter Trout Unlimited held our annual Kid's Fish Free in conjunction with TWRA and TVA. This is a big event we hold at the Miller's Island Ramp where children and their families can enjoy a day on the river, with fishing either spinner rods or fly rods, learning to tie flies, learning about the river and of course take boat rides in drift boats and small boats with a TU member, where they can try their luck on the water.

This event is the very definition of what the trout stocking program does for these tail water rivers. We see families who return each year for this day, and interact with our TU members and have a day of fun fishing, a free cookout, and prizes provided by TU. Most importantly we see families introduced, some for the first time to the world of fishing and the joy of outdoor life. In a world of 3 minute music videos, and Xbox games of explosions and mayhem, it is amazing to see a child slow down and actually enjoy the sport of fishing and all it brings. We literally can see the transformation as the families launch from the boat area or wade in the water with our TU members as they fish and drop behind the frantic pace of deadlines and commitments. The Clinch must look like the mighty Mississippi to a child as they take that first boat ride and lo and behold catch that first trout. When they take that first picture holding a living fish in their hands, no video game can duplicate that feeling or sense of joy.

Will they go on to be outdoors men or women, will their families continue on the path to enjoying the sport, who’s to say. What is certain in a world of budget cuts for schools whether the elimination of band programs, athletics and theater this one day gives families a way to spend time together with only the cost of getting there incurred.The one known fact is; it is a day a child will never forget as they spend time on the water with their family and friends. Will that young person go on to a professional guide, a scientist discovering a new answer to an decades old problem, a conservationist protecting a mountain stream, or as most of us a lover of the sport and outdoors?”
"It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

Old 06-20-2014, 01:32 PM

John McCain has proposed an amendment, SA 3241, to require the TVA, the Corps and others to help fund the hatcheries.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:38 PM

Please provide a link to this info thanks!

Old 06-20-2014, 07:13 PM

Hope this works. Sroll down to the fisheries part.
https://beta.congress.gov/congressio...rticle/S3671-4
Old 06-20-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
John McCain has proposed an amendment, SA 3241, to require the TVA, the Corps and others to help fund the hatcheries.
Please provide a link the only thing I can see was a reference to an ammendment that was attached to a bill in 2011/2012 regarding a technical correction to language concerning CorpConstruction.. Keep digging and see if I am wrong and provide link.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:28 PM

Don't know what to say. The link works for me. Scroll down to the fisheries mitigation part or google SA 3241. I got tipped to this from a post on the Southeast fly fishing forum.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:30 PM

Link to the South East Fly Fishing forum where I first saw it before Googling it.
http://www.southeastflyfishingforum....569#post372569