Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-20-2014, 07:33 PM

Your first post had a diffrent number than the last one I read the June 14 ammendment says federal water agency. Not sure if TVA is that ;maybe someone on here can answer that and analyze the ammendment!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 06-20-2014, 07:40 PM

Senate Amendment SA 3241. Specifically states the Corps of Engineers and the TVA. As yet I see no cosponsors to the bill. It has a bunch of other stuff rolled in to it, so maybe that is why Alexander or Corker have not chimed in.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:45 PM

How about this.
TIGATION FISHERY ACTIVITIES.

(a) Definitions.--In this section:
(1) Federal water development agency.--The term ``Federal
water development agency'' means--
(A) the Bureau of Reclamation;
(B) the Corps of Engineers; and
(C) the Tennessee Valley Authority.
(2) Mitigation hatchery.--The term ``mitigation hatchery''
means a facility owned and operated by the Secretary through
the National Fish Hatchery System, a purpose of which is the
rearing and stocking of native and nonnative fish to replace
or maintain fishery resources or harvest levels lost as a
result of a Federal water resource development project.
(3) Secretary.--The term ``Secretary'' means the Secretary
of the Interior (acting through the Director of the United
States Fish and Wildlife Service).
(b) Priority Consideration.--Annually, the Secretary, in
consultation with affected States, Indian tribes, and other
relevant Federal agencies, shall--
(1) determine the needs of the National Fish Hatchery
System; and
(2) for purposes of the determination under paragraph (1),
give equal priority consideration to--
(A) the rearing and stocking of native and nonnative fish;
and
(B) the propagation of species listed as threatened or
endangered under the Endangered Species Act of 1973 (16
U.S.C. 1531 et seq.).
(c) Reimbursement.--Consistent with the Fish and Wildlife
Act of 1956 (16 U.S.C. 742a et seq.) and the Fish and
Wildlife Coordination Act (16 U.S.C. 661 et seq.), the heads
of Federal water development agencies shall fully reimburse
the Secretary, on an annual basis, for the operation and
maintenance of mitigation hatcheries.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:59 PM

I ll be the first to celebrate but with no cosponsers at this point how does that work and what is Mcain from Arizona I think wanting from others writing TVA into the bill and will they sign?

Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 PM

It's a nationwide issue and it affects McCain's state, but with the flap over earmarks, he can't just seek to relieve Arizona's issue. To my understanding, cosponsoring a bill or amendment is about as simple as going on record to cosponsor. This is an amendment and has a lot of other stuff that Alexander and Corker may not be comfortable with. At least it is a step, and I bet the TVA is aware of it.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:18 PM

OK earlier when Silvercreek posted I was out and about and responding, I got home took some time to read the bill it is tied to. There are 42 sponsors including Corker and Alexander signed to the orginal bill S.2363 Bipartisian Sports 2014 bill introduced May 20, 2014, which may explain why you see no co-sponsers on the amendments that McCain added on June 12th, maybe not a requirement, maybe a politico on here can explain that process. I also see that this is:
phase 1-introduction
next is phase 2-must pass senate
phase 3-must pass house
phase 4- than goes to President for his approval or decline
phase 5-than becomes law

Below is the miain bill that the SA3241 is a part of, so the way I see it, this may be progress but no time to let up with the results we are trying to acheive. If anything it may be actually the perfect time to accelerate our communications to federal, state and local officials and make them remain focused on the issue and the importance of it to those affected. In fact as it winds it's way thru the Senate we need to add the House of Representatives to the email list, I will work on that.

Between the orginal bill below and the amendment we are concerned with there are a lot of moving parts and chances for the ball to drop. I am encouraged by other forums taking an interest because as I have tried to stress this affects 12 different TVA tailwater areas. Thanks to silvercreek for posting the update!

Sec. 1. Short title; table of contents.
TITLE I--REGULATORY REFORMS

Sec. 101. Electronic duck stamps.
Sec. 102. Modification of definition of sport fishing equipment under
the Toxic Substances Control Act.
Sec. 103. Target practice and marksmanship.
Sec. 104. Exemption for subsistence users.
Sec. 105. Permits for importation of polar bear trophies taken in sport
hunts in Canada.
Sec. 106. Baiting of migratory game birds.
Sec. 107. Recreational fishing, hunting, and recreational shooting on
Federal public land.
Sec. 108. Annual permit and fee for film crews of 5 persons or fewer.
TITLE II--HABITAT CONSERVATION

Sec. 201. Availability of Land and Water Conservation Fund for
recreational public access projects.
Sec. 202. Federal Land Transaction Facilitation Act.
Sec. 203. North American Wetlands Conservation Act.
Sec. 204. National Fish and Wildlife Foundation Establishment Act.

Last edited by bigsur; 06-21-2014 at 02:42 AM..
Old 06-22-2014, 11:06 AM

Below is an article in today's Knoxville, TN newspaper, look for more print and media attention and some indepth reporting in upcoming days. Thanks Joe!

"One of the big success stories of the last decade or so has been the trout fishery that has developed in the Holston River below Cherokee Dam.
Thanks to a little luck and a lot of work from the Tennessee Valley Authority, the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency and others, the Holston River went from being a coldwater wasteland to a destination spot for fishermen.
It was the equivalent of throwing seeds on acres of red clay and coming back a few years later and finding the Garden of Eden.
The Garden of Eden reference is from the Bible. The coldwater wasteland phrase can be credited to Joe Congleton.
Congleton, a fisherman and hunter from Knoxville, fears that Eden is in trouble.
Before trout stocking, minimum flows in the summer and projects put more oxygen in the water for fish, he said the tailwaters “were essentially barren, coldwater wastelands” that had no economic benefit to the area.
Now Congress has directed the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to seek full reimbursement for the trout from its hatcheries that go to “mitigation stockings.” That means where federal water projects have disrupted the natural aquatic environment — in this case TVA dams — the USFWS has been stocking from its hatchery system gratis.
Over decades, that’s a lot of fish and a lot of money. Now Congress wants its money back.
That’s sort of like a bank robber getting mad because you picked up the dollar bill he dropped, but the big question now is who will pay for all those trout?
In East Tennessee, a tailwater fishery’s lifeblood is stocking. Some natural reproduction may take place, but not nearly enough to keep rivers like the Clinch and Holston viable.
Congleton has worked with and sometimes against TVA for decades when it comes to improving fishing below the agency’s dams. His work and that done by others has paid off in putting East Tennessee on the map for trout fishermen from all over the country.
“There are ample (Government Accounting Office) studies to show the value of a day of recreation fishing to the economy,” Congleton said. “Nowhere are those days more valuable than right here in our TVA tailwaters.”
And where you don’t have trout, you don’t have trout fishermen.
At a meeting in Knoxville in May, four options were presented for funding the stocking that included bucking Congress and putting the ball and the money back in the USFWS’s hands; for TVA and the USFWS to co-fund the stockings; for a plan to be developed that would bring together the USFWS, TVA, TWRA and others to form a partnership of state and federal agencies; and for TVA ratepayers to pay for the costs to produce and stock trout in the tailwaters of TVA dams.
Congleton said the last option is what he believes makes the most sense.
Unlike the TVA lakes that support numerous fisheries, pleasure boaters, water skiers, etc., most of the tailwaters would revert back to a coldwater wastelands. The relatively new fishery of the Holston isn’t the only one at stake if the situation isn’t resolved.
“There are no other viable economic uses that would create any significant comparable economic impacts from these hundreds of miles of water,” Congelton said. “After spending hundreds of millions of dollars in infrastructure improvements in their weir dams, re-oxygenation facilities and devices and other water quality costs, is TVA going to abandon trout fisheries for what amounts to a cost of a few cents annually, a kilowatt hour in rates, to its ratepayers?”
Last year, TVA agreed to a short-term solution, providing $900,000 a year for three years to fund federal hatchery operations. The clock is ticking on that deal, with the money earmarked only through 2016 for the Erwin National Hatchery, Dale Hollow National Hatchery and the Chattahoochie Forest National Fish Hatchery in Georgia.
One of TVA’s mandates is economic development in its service area. On the other hand, a slate of new environmental regulations coming down the pike are going to force TVA to hike rates by dollars, and not just pennies, before it ever buys trout number one.
But if the trout go, restaurants, campgrounds, fly shops and other businesses could go with them.
“TVA created and then reclaimed what is a national asset,” Congleton said. “Why abandon it now?”
Bob Hodge is a freelance

Old 06-22-2014, 12:53 PM

Thanks for posting this and your links to Senators Alexander and Corker which made it easy for me to contact them.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:26 AM

Wow, I haven't been on here in a while. I saw bigsur yesterday. He told me what's going on. You all are doing a great job.

bigsur mentioned silvercreek. I told him silvercreek and I have been friends for over 30 years. I've also known Joe Congleton for many years.

I had two customers tell me last week they commented to TVA. One lives in Florida and the other in South Carolina. Thanks to you folks, the word is spreading. I mentioned this again in the fishing report today.

Thanks for all you do.

Byron
Old 06-25-2014, 12:40 PM

Talking

UPDATE: JUNE 25, 2014

Just a quick update, yesterday the Senate moved to proceed to calendar the Bipartisian Sportsmen Act 2014 which was introduced by Senator Hagan North Carolina. The importance of this being, this is the bill that Senator McCain attached the amendment we are following for Trout Stocking funding. I spoke with a staff member of Senator Hagan this morning via phone in Washington thanking the Senator for her effort but also to get a perspective on procedure. Clarifying what I posted a day or two ago, the Senate in the next step will put the bill on the floor of the Senate for a vote, if it passes than goes to the House for their approval, than back to the Senate where it is than prepared for presentation to the President where he than approves and signs or declines.

I asked about a hypothetical timeline for that kind of process, and like I thiought no real answer. It can be hours, days, weeks or months dependent on the importance of the issue, what amendment's are attached to the orginal bill which may slow it down and how willing are the Senate, House and President to pass.

My general feeling has not changed we have to keep the issue on the front burner with the politicians who are voting and influencing this bill. I will post in the next day or so the links to what I feel are the people from a political standpoint who can help.

Here is copy of yesterdys Senate acttion, I thought reading Byron's fishing report was tough, now I have to read daily Congressional Record reports, all I want to do is to fish!

BIPARTISAN SPORTSMEN'S ACT OF 2014--MOTION TO PROCEED
(Senate - June 24, 2014)

Text of this article available as: [Pages S3903-S3904] BIPARTISAN SPORTSMEN'S ACT OF 2014--MOTION TO PROCEED Mr. REID. Mr. President, I move to proceed to Calendar No. 384, S. 2363, the Hagan Sportsmen's Act. The PRESIDENT pro tempore. The clerk will report the motion. The legislative clerk read as follows: Motion to proceed to Calendar No. 384, S. 2363, a bill to protect and enhance opportunities for recreational hunting, fishing, shooting, and for other purposes.