Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 05-31-2014, 08:10 PM

Default New boat launch on Holston

Does anyone know if the new ramp being built under the Asheville HWY bridge by TWRA is going to be a public launch?
Old 05-31-2014, 09:21 PM

TWRA doesn't build non public ramps. It literally provides access to nothing in this case. IMO it's a total waste of money and resources. I'm not surprised as its TWRA
Old 06-01-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
TWRA doesn't build non public ramps. It literally provides access to nothing in this case. IMO it's a total waste of money and resources. I'm not surprised as its TWRA
Yeah I would like to have seen them improve the Clift Rd ramp or put a new on in that area.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevee71 View Post
Yeah I would like to have seen them improve the Clift Rd ramp or put a new on in that area.

I agree, there were rumors for years they had bought the land on the grainger county side below mascot bridge.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
I agree, there were rumors for years they had bought the land on the grainger county side below mascot bridge.
Yes Knox County has tried to buy that property and turn it into a Knox County Park but the owner does not want to sale. I had also heard that they wanted to purchase some of the property at the end Armstrong Lane but that seems to have fallen through as well.

I have looked at the aerials but it is hard to tell how far up the river you can go from Asheville Hwy. Do you know?
Old 06-01-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevee71 View Post
Yes Knox County has tried to buy that property and turn it into a Knox County Park but the owner does not want to sale. I had also heard that they wanted to purchase some of the property at the end Armstrong Lane but that seems to have fallen through as well.

I have looked at the aerials but it is hard to tell how far up the river you can go from Asheville Hwy. Do you know?
Depends on the boat, but at low flows you will be stopped as soon as you hit the first major riffle after about 4 miles of deep slow water.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:35 PM

While I'm happy to have another access for my boat, the aerial views on google earth dont look very promising for a fly fisher. Looks like you have to run all the way up to Monday Island to find some shoals.
Jim, I've got a V- Jon . We'll have to meet over there one day to run up on low water and see how it fishes.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:15 PM

You bet, I'd be happy to go chase them sometime

Really that first island above there is trash. It's got decent flow but it's really fine gravel with no good cover for bass. I've caught a couple from there over the years but it's pretty weak. There's big shoals upstream a few miles but getting above them would be really tough at low water levels.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:02 PM

Talked to twra at the location today it will be public they are hoping for it to be open in next couple months but I wouldnt hold your breath yet as it may be next yr before its done if the road layout into it gets changed again