Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 06-03-2014, 09:26 PM

Default Illegal fly?

I heard there was some bird that old timers used their feathers to make flies, but now it's illegal to use the feathers? Anyone know if that's true? What's the bird and name of the fly that was tied with it? Thanks!
Old 06-03-2014, 09:44 PM

The fly was called a yellow hammer, and the feathers came from the Yellow Shafted Flicker. It is illegal to kill the bird under any circumstances, but being in possession of its feathers or a fly tied from its feathers is not illegal. I've asked several game wardens about this and they were all consistent in their answers.

I've got bags full of the feathers, I used to pick them up while in the woods hunting and still see them all the time, but have so many I couldn't tie enough flies in a lifetime to use them all up. I also don't fish the park anymore, and if I did I wouldn't use that fly, IMO there are better flies.

The reason that particular fly worked so well had more to do with the 8 lbs of lead in it, and the way it was fished on straight mono with a high stick presentation and no indicator. It got down fast and stayed down, the mono rig allowed the angler to feel every tap of the bottom and therefore they could keep it in the perfect feeding zone.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:01 PM

Thanks water wolf! That's exactly what I was looking for.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
The fly was called a yellow hammer, and the feathers came from the Yellow Shafted Flicker. It is illegal to kill the bird under any circumstances, but being in possession of its feathers or a fly tied from its feathers is not illegal. I've asked several game wardens about this and they were all consistent in their answers.

I've got bags full of the feathers, I used to pick them up while in the woods hunting and still see them all the time, but have so many I couldn't tie enough flies in a lifetime to use them all up. I also don't fish the park anymore, and if I did I wouldn't use that fly, IMO there are better flies.

The reason that particular fly worked so well had more to do with the 8 lbs of lead in it, and the way it was fished on straight mono with a high stick presentation and no indicator. It got down fast and stayed down, the mono rig allowed the angler to feel every tap of the bottom and therefore they could keep it in the perfect feeding zone.

Jim,
Excellent information! I enjoyed reading your reply. Good history! Thanks.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-04-2014, 07:45 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post

I've got bags full of the feathers, I used to pick them up while in the woods hunting and still see them all the time, but have so many I couldn't tie enough flies in a lifetime to use them all up.
I love me some yellowhammers A buddy of mine, his daughter found one dead under their bird feeder. It was pretty decomposed but I still grabbed what I could. My supply is low and would happily trade you something for some feathers
Old 06-04-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
I love me some yellowhammers A buddy of mine, his daughter found one dead under their bird feeder. It was pretty decomposed but I still grabbed what I could. My supply is low and would happily trade you something for some feathers
You bet, send me an email with your address and I'm happy to pass some along. If I can find them

Of course this is how the Feds show up and arrest me.

jjordan5@comcast.net
Old 06-07-2014, 04:46 PM

I got some feathers from a bird my cat killed. I haven't used any yet though.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:26 PM

I was at a TU meeting years ago and Eddy George gave me some honest to goodness, "real-thing" yellowhammer flies. We talked about the fact they were authentic. Another friend of mine sitting next to me joined in on the conversation. His name was Jim Jarvis, a Federal Judge. Jim said the feather on the fly was not the crime. The crime was the intentional killing of the bird.

Those birds are bad about flying into moving pickup trucks and killing themselves. Happens all the time around here.

Byron
Old 06-08-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
I was at a TU meeting years ago and Eddy George gave me some honest to goodness, "real-thing" yellowhammer flies. We talked about the fact they were authentic. Another friend of mine sitting next to me joined in on the conversation. His name was Jim Jarvis, a Federal Judge. Jim said the feather on the fly was not the crime. The crime was the intentional killing of the bird.

Those birds are bad about flying into moving pickup trucks and killing themselves. Happens all the time around here.

Byron
Judge Jarvis was a fine man and he is missed. I loved guiding him
Old 06-09-2014, 04:50 PM

I agree Jim. He was a great guy. I tied threadfin shad flies for him to use on the lakes. He always tried to pay me. I wouldn't accept money, only his friendship. There's a bridge named after him that crosses Little River.

I miss Eddy too. Now that man could tie flies and fly fish. I have several flies he tied and gave me. They are in a shadow box.

Byron