Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-10-2014, 09:02 AM

What I have seen people do in the past is to check the reservation site for the campground for any available sites on a single day period...cancellations do happen.
Make a reservation for that one night....come in after lunch, check in and just go to the site...have a picnic dinner...fish a little up through the campground...and once it gets dark head up the trail to the cabins. The woods behind cabins as you drive up to Jakes Creek area are a good area to watch and not as many people. You can also walk back into the woods next to the first cabin beyond the trailhead and actually stand among the fire flies as they fire off....really neat. I think a regular campsite goes for about $20 so this is not too bad of a deal since it would allow you to drive in to the campground and stay as long as you want. These fireflies are not like their lowland cousins...they don't really get going good until dark. As good as this show is the area around CS24 is crazy with them. They are so strong up there that my son and I could see their light through the walls of our tent one year...thought someone was out with a flashlight...the whole mountainside along Rough Creek next to the camp area was just on fire with them...enjoy.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:18 PM

The show last night was great. The area around the trailhead was good as well as further up. We hiked in about 3/4 of a mile up LR trail, had heard that they are not as good around jakes creek this year. It really gets good around 10:30 and the rangers and volunteers are trying to usher the shuttle folks back around this time so that by 11 it mostly only campers and we were pretty much the only group where we were. The walk on the trail in the dark isn't bad at all.

I didn't end up fishing but we did hike the loop from jakes creek to cucumber gap and down LR and there were fewer people than usual. I had a bear hop out of the grass on the trail side about 10 feet in front of me and run down to the creek. This was about a 1/4 mile below the old turnaround and I didn't see anyone fishing up that high, probably only in last 1/2 mile from the trail head.