Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 05-19-2014, 07:02 PM

Default Springtime smallies

It's been a while since I've posted something on the forum but I'm going to try to keep consistent information up as much as possible. I've enjoyed the shared info throughout the years and thought I would share some myself if anyone wants to listen.

The smallmouth fishing has been pretty good as of the last few weeks and is going to get better as the fish get off their beds. Since their time and energy has been focused on spawning they'll need to bulk back up looking for baitfish, crawdads, bugs....etc. We should see a strong bite through the next couple of weeks and expect the topwater action to pick up quite a bit. We'll be out as much as possible and will keep you posted. Feel free to check out older fishing reports on the website from the link below. Here's a photo from a trip this past week. If anyone would like to take a trip in the Smokies or the tailwaters for trout and/or smallmouth you can reach me from my email or cell anytime.
[IMG][/IMG]

http://frontieranglerstn.com
https://www.facebook.com
Old 05-19-2014, 10:29 PM

Nothing like using a Fly Shops board to advertise your services which compete with theirs.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:24 PM

Well, I wouldn't say that. I send everybody I know to Little River and spend quite a bit of time there myself. I just don't see very much action on the warm water page so I figured I would share.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:59 AM

Talking

Thanks for posting Josh

I think you would be a great source of Bass and trout info for our forum members.

And while I agree to some point that other's people's boards shouldn't be used solely for solicitation, but on the other hand the more info we have from people who are out there day in and out should only help others who can't fish as much. Byron gives stronger plugs to his website on a regular basis so I would cry "no harm no foul" but YMMV

I appreciate guides like Rocky Raccoon and David Knapp who contribute regularly to this forum, and only wish we had more guides sharing info with us. I wish more guides would post as I don't have the bankroll to hire them on a regular basis.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Thanks for posting Josh

I appreciate guides like Rocky Raccoon and David Knapp who contribute regularly to this forum, and only wish we had more guides sharing info with us. I wish more guides would post as I don't have the bankroll to hire them on a regular basis.
Ducky I second your vote, I look forward to the guides insight and knowledge of the local waters, and know for a fact what the guides doante of their time and effort to the charitable causes we are always asking them to help with. Whether it's Troutfest, Kids Fish Free Day, Wounded Warriors or just pulling nasty tires out of the Clinch, these folks step up. Thanks to them and please continue to post!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 05-20-2014, 11:56 AM

I don't have a huge issue with a report of how fishing is, and really have no stake in who advertises their services here, it was just an observation.

When I worked at the Creel for 10 years I wouldn't have ever come here and said hey x is fishing great if you need flies and gear to go come on by. The same could be said when I was rowing a boat for money as well, sure most knew I was a guide for Mike but I never came here telling folks to give us a call and book a trip.

I don't recall ever seeing Rocky soliciting for business through this platform, nor Mike Bone who also posts here from time to time.

My point is, that it just seems presumptuous to come to a board which LRO provides for free and advertise services which compete with their business that pays for this site.

As I said it's just an observation and I'm the last person to give advice on manners or decorum.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
......I'm the last person to give advice on manners or decorum.

I personally like your "call it as you see it opinion". For the most part. However, I'd like to see more guides posting on here. As long as their posts are constructive and not just a big add. These guys are on the water more than most of us and their input could help a lot.

I don't know who Rocky is, but would really, REALLY, like to see Mike Bone post more. I know at one time you, waterwolf, used to guide. Over the years, I've picked apart your posts and have learned a lot. Don't start getting a big head, I still think you're a prick 90% of the time, but we can all learn some from the guides that post.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:28 PM

Considering Byron is happy with Josh doing this I don't find it pretentious at all ,especially as Frontier Anglers is one of the guides LRO recommends.

I think people will enjoy getting up to date fishing reports irrelevant if anyone books a trip or not.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post

I don't know who Rocky is, but would really, REALLY, like to see Mike Bone post more. I know at one time you, waterwolf, used to guide. Over the years, I've picked apart your posts and have learned a lot. Don't start getting a big head, I still think you're a prick 90% of the time, but we can all learn some from the guides that post.
I know Rocky, and he's on the water as much as anyone and treats others with as much respect as possible, his clients also seem to catch plenty of fish and return to fish with him often.

Mike,like most guides doesn't have time during the season to post much as their days start early and end late and the next day the whole routine starts over again.

I am a recovering guide and dearly miss my days behind the oars. I still get to fish more than most, but the guiding was very enjoyable and I made a ton of friends in my years barking orders in my militant style on the rivers in this area.

Oh, and I'm not really a prick, just a little opinionated, but generally disagree in a joking manner. My keyboard manners are awful, and rarely if ever come across the same as they would in person. I've tried to convey a better on screen image, but it's impossible for me.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Nothing like using a Fly Shops board to advertise your services which compete with theirs.
Here I go interjecting in the middle of none of my business!

I often hear Byron mention, on this very site, Josh as a guide in whom he seems to have a lot of respect. I just tapped the link Josh provided and only saw mention of the guide services he provides. Nowhere was the option to buy any of the products I buy at LRO. Additionally, there is a link on josh's site to LRO! I believe if I asked Byron to recommend a smallies guide, he wold hook me p with Josh.

Count me amongst those who would like to see more posts from Josh and all of the guides who provide their services in our area. We can learn a lot from them. I spent a couple of hours at LRO a couple of months ago watching Josh tie bass flies. I then went upstairs a purchased $80 in materials to tie what I learned from Josh. How many others did the same thing?

Josh please keep posting! We look forward to hearing what you have to say.

BTW, I do not personally know Josh.