Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-18-2014, 09:01 AM

Default Powell River Feeder Creek.

Due to my work schedule my trout fishing has taken a major blow. I'm either working when the generation is good or I just can't get away. I haven't been to the clinch in almost a month and I live 20 mins away. It's killing me. So my buddy and I have decided to hit up Indian creek in Harrogate a few times on the weekends just to say we went fishing. They haven't stocked it with trout since mid April. We usually go up a couple weeks after the last stocking and catch a couple limits to keep. But we went up Sunday afternoon and still caught plenty of trout. Along with about 14 smallmouth between us and a dozen or so redeye each.

Now granted these weren't trophy fish by anyone's standards, but catching them on 3 and 4 wt rods chucking streamers and wooly buggers is more than satisfying. The biggest smallmouth we caught was probably 14" or so. I missed one that I'd say was 16" by my best guess. We have in the past caught 17" and 18" smallmouth out of this creek along with a couple random largemouth and spotted bass.

All in all it was a fun day fishing. Ended up with probably 45 fish altogether with even a couple limits of left over trout in there. The high water temps were hard on them and idk how much longer they have left. But that's what you get with a put and take stocker creek.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:14 AM

That looks like a great place to chill and fish with nice acesss. You are right about the Clinch; flows are hard to time lately for those of us who work during the week. I should have taken a picture last night at Miller's ramp, the TVA project is motoring along and a pretty white rock wall is now in place instead of the guardrail right at the launch, which has been deepened and cleaned out for better boat access. The riprap along the bank looks mostly in place to protect shoreline, the only drawback I have seen so far is getting into the water for fisherman is harder, does not have the easy bank access we are used to. I think the project is ongoing so maybe that will be worked on also. Thanks for posting pics for an area I have never seen before!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 06-18-2014, 10:43 AM

Looks like a decent little stream, thanks for sharing your report.

Email Punk

http://lastdrifteffort.blogspot.com
Old 06-18-2014, 02:41 PM

Bigsur-

I haven't seen millers in a while. Last I was there they had the rip rap on the down stream side. But as far as access to this creek: easy, yes. Public, no. Lol a little friendly trespassing never hurt anyone.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:11 PM

Good stuff
Old 06-18-2014, 06:41 PM

TWRA does not stock trout unless the landowners allow access. You should be OK.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
TWRA does not stock trout unless the landowners allow access. You should be OK.
That is false. I can promise that won't be well received on the vast majority of stocked trout waters in this state.

I certainly have snuck across my fair share of private ground over the years, but never would I advise others to do so.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
That is false. I can promise that won't be well received on the vast majority of stocked trout waters in this state.

I certainly have snuck across my fair share of private ground over the years, but never would I advise others to do so.
We catch trout on these streams in spots where I know the TWRA guys aren't gonna climb and walk to stock the fish. We catch trout well downstream from the last stocking point on the creek. I've been greeted by a couple landowners on this particular creek. One in particular walked across the cow pasture, pistol on his hip, asked us how fishing was. We talked for 30 mins and at the end of the convo he said catch all the "explicit" trout out of here, it used to have big smallmouth in it years ago. Lmao

Worse thing they're gonna do is run me off.... Now the fashion in which they do so is a different story.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinryder2 View Post
We catch trout on these streams in spots where I know the TWRA guys aren't gonna climb and walk to stock the fish. We catch trout well downstream from the last stocking point on the creek. I've been greeted by a couple landowners on this particular creek. One in particular walked across the cow pasture, pistol on his hip, asked us how fishing was. We talked for 30 mins and at the end of the convo he said catch all the "explicit" trout out of here, it used to have big smallmouth in it years ago. Lmao

Worse thing they're gonna do is run me off.... Now the fashion in which they do so is a different story.

I've been there plenty of times myself having an uncomfortable conversation. My post wasn't directed at you. It was in response to silvercreek stating that stocked waters are public.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:43 PM

I didn't say they were public. I said the landowner must allow access before the TWRA will stock it.