Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-15-2014, 12:31 PM

Default My Biggest Park Fish This Year

Yesterday I made a badly needed Smokies run to the park, taking my sweet time back roading my way up to a new hole that I love (Dances withTrout knows but he ain't telling). It's not that the fishing is great it's just pretty, quiet and no crowd yet close. This was a ME trip, meaning no agenda, no plan, no schedule just get out of the park at dark taking my Winston 2wt out for a walk. I love fishing the 2wt, like my Tenkara it feels alive in your hand, a touch so light you can mistake it when the line stops in a drift for a hit, it's that touchy.

Got on the pool about 2:30 or so, even deep in the shade in the woods you could still feel the heat so did not expect much. I can stand by this section and never move for hours and that's what I did, casting, changing flies working on my drift over and over, I drew the attention of some really small fish but nothing worth taking pictures.

Finally about 5:00 I made my way out, the tourists were now leaving the park, and made my way over to LR road to my next stash. Now I read Byron's and Daniel's reports every day for conditons and of course for what is happeing here in our little section of the world. Every day they tell us the obvious tips to catch trout in the Smokies and we always fail to grasp or try expand on, or reinvent the wheel.

This year I have really tried to focus on getting my drifts religious (meaning it's gotta be righteous dude!), whether in tailwaters or mountain streams, easier said than done, maybe every 10 casts if you are remotely lucky!

I of course do what they always suggest dark clothes, but most importantly keep your butt out of the water as much as possible especially on skinny water lile we have now in the mountains.

I have on my 2wt about a 5 1/2 foot leader, which connects to my tippet ring which I started using a few years back with Tenkara (see Orvis tools and accessories web page, they just started selling for my review and reasons, of course LR Outfitters has sold them for years )

Now with everything rigged I hit the water, the first three casts brought a couple of rises no hits, I than let it drift down in front of a large rock in the middle like Byron always talks about and right as it cleared and went around the rock, it went under, I went to retrieve knowing I had hung on the rock, now with a 2wt the fisrt thing you learn about hang ups on rocks or trees that leap out is you don't bulldog it if you want to stay out of repair shops. So I moved a couple of feet downstream at waters edge to get a different angle when I felt just a slight headshake, the 2wt bent and it was on, my first thouht was if you lose this I will have to kick my own a...., second thought try to keep the 6x tippet from grinding on the rocks and the third thought was what was it and how big, that question was soon answered when it broke the water and belly rolled over, a big brown!

I slowly worked downstream, half cranks, full cranks trying hard to keep him out from under rocks and snapping the spidery 6x, finally I worked him to the bank, normally I have a ghost net under them by this point but could not work the rod and net and land it for all his movement. I am not sure whose heart was beating faster at that point mine or his, I have been wearing my lanyard lately even in the Clinch trying to keep it light and stay cool instead of sloggng my slingpack full of everything, so had no ruler, my best guess using known measurements on my 2wt was right at 15 inches of downtown julie brown my biggest park fish of the year, maybe ever!

I tried to throw a few casts after that but forget about it, no concentration left, and an overwhelming desire to moonwalk on top of the water had me pack it in and end the day at Metcalf with a fine cigar and two amber bocks.

My first call comng up the road was to thank Thunderhead for the fly and horsetrading me that 2wt a couple of years back and let him know the pics were coming his way. A grand day on the mountain and in the water, a day I will not soon forget!

Side note: On Memorial Day Thunderhead took a tumble down a riverbank and is now the proudowner of a fractured fib, six shiny screws and a plate, I blame lusting for bass for his problem. I always try to look for the positive, I am positive he now has no excuse to not tie me some more flies!

I love the shot of his tail, no hatchery concrete to mar that tail like God intended!

Maybe my favorite shot, after working him in I worked just as hard to get him back out. This is a great shot of how well these browns blend in with the rocks, I can only imgaine how many I have walked by while clomping thru the water over the years

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Last edited by bigsur; 06-15-2014 at 09:43 PM..
Old 06-15-2014, 01:40 PM

Default Awesome

Very nice brown, on a 2-wt even! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:44 PM

Nice! That fish looks like it has been eating well for sure. I'll bet that was quite the workout on the 2 wt. Good job landing it!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 06-15-2014, 01:53 PM

Very, very nice...at least 14"....nice brown.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:03 PM

That, sir, is a nice catch, bigsur.
– JF
Old 06-15-2014, 02:15 PM

Nice Fish John! Thanks for sharing. I imagine that was a handful on a two weight.

God Bless,
Dances with Trout
Old 06-15-2014, 02:39 PM

Nice catch BigSur! I tied that Yellow Stimulator just for that fish!

BTW, each of those 6 screws in my ankle is about the same cost as a new Winston and a nice reel:-(

I slipped down a 5 foot bank on a muddy spot and the foot hit a root with my 235 lbs. fully behind it. I wasn't in wading gear, just water shoes (Little Pigeon). I have since re-thought fishing alone anywhere. This kind of thing could happen anywhere, especially the Smokies where most river access has more potential for a fall than where I was. It was a freak accident, but isn't that what most of them are that happen to YOU? Anyway, 7 weeks in a cast or knee high boot and a knee scooter isn't how I planned to spend summer.

PS: after the fall, while I waited for my son to go get the truck, I eased my broken ankle into the cool river and cast my newly-tied Knucklehead to try to catch a smallie. Probably good that I didn't catch one.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:01 PM

Talking

Glad you were out there killing it

That's bigger than anything I've caught in the Smokies, congrats

Nathan and I were hiking into our fishing destination yesterday when we smelled cigar smoke. For a minute I thought we surely ran into you or Hooked on Trout, but it turns out there are other cigar smoking fisherman in the Smokies

Thanks for the post, but now we know you do have you camera with you so we'll expect pics like these every time from now on
Old 06-16-2014, 07:40 AM

Default Kudos Dave

Congratulations to an old Hurricane!
dk
Old 06-17-2014, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the nice comments, I am greatly aware that they come from people I respect and value, but also people whose posts and pictures I enjoy every day!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"