Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-30-2014, 12:25 PM

Default Friendly Bear at Tremont

I heard the story yesterday. A customer was telling me about this bear that would not leave him alone. It walked right up to him. He made it to his car. The bear walked around the car, sort of chasing the fisherman. He was finally able to get in his car.

I told our customer, that kind of behavior is abnormal and dangerous.

Evidently, that is not the only confrontation people encountered over the past few days from the same bear. The animal was described as being "way too friendly".

Some customers were in today and told me they were at the confluence of Lynn Camp Prong and Thunderhead. The Park Service wildlife folks were setting a trap and baiting it with fried bacon.

I just got an e-mail from the Park Service. The bear has been trapped. It fell for the bacon trick. The little fella weighs 55 pounds.

Byron
Old 06-30-2014, 02:11 PM

I was fishing and camping at Big Creek campground a year or so ago , and the rangers set up a trap about 100 ft from our tent and baited it with a dozen krispy kremes. About 1 a.m.
I heard the sound of metal sliding against metal and the bang of the metal door sliding shut.
Next morning I asked the rangers if they were going to relocate the bear..He said "no" because the experience of being trapped would most likely deter the bear from returning. I have my doubts. A night in a trap for a dozen donuts anytime is what I thought. Mike
Old 06-30-2014, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the update, Byron.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:48 PM

Bacon? Krispy Creams? I may need to start checking those traps a little closer
Old 06-30-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
Bacon? Krispy Creams? I may need to start checking those traps a little closer
Flyman, I was thinking the same thing.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:43 PM

Sounds like someone has been feeding that little guy camp food. Hope the experience scares him enough that he won't want anything more to do with humans. I've seen them also bang the cage with poles like a picket fence, make all kinds of racket when in the animals presence, so when they open the gate, the critter runs for the hills. Too bad they can't trap the people that feed these unfortunate animals and keep them in a cage overnight...with just a healthy fine to digest.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 06-30-2014, 10:58 PM

My buddy Dave did work trapping bears in Kentucky for his dissertation... They always used donuts.... One time walmart was out, so he just got a bunch of white bread and put syrup all over it... Not an animal in the forest would eat the white bread they licked all the syrup off.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:58 AM

Default Barely Plausible

While I don't do it in the Smokies, many other places I fish with a sheathed knife on my belt. You don't need a Crocodile Dundee size instrument. A six to eight inch fixed blade will suffice. Chances of needing it are probably 10,000 to one. An old friend of mine, Bob Foulkrod, was jumped by a wounded black bear in Ontario. The bear got him down and was working him over pretty good. Ended well, as Bob had a sheathed knife he could easily access. It took eight thrusts, but the bear finally rolled over dying. Bob was chewed up pretty good. The bear's canines punctured his leg bones. Messy recovery, but he is fine now--Bob that is. The bear is now a rug.

The rangers need to start popping bad bears with rock salt. Now there's a lesson to learn about where to be and where not to be. No real harm done to the bear either. Of course number 4's would be the choice for wayward otters.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:43 PM

I usually always carry a knife and the one I carry has a 4in blade. Not big, but not a penknife either. The nuisance bears need to be dealt with in some way whether it be putting them down or sent to "outer Mongolia". The people (usually go by the names of Stew Ped and Moe Ron)who feed a bear or leave scraps behind at a campsite need to be fined severely, because all it takes is one handout or a hunk of fat left on a firering to make a bear want to take the easy way to eat.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
My buddy Dave did work trapping bears in Kentucky for his dissertation... They always used donuts.... One time walmart was out, so he just got a bunch of white bread and put syrup all over it... Not an animal in the forest would eat the white bread they licked all the syrup off.
Now that's funny.