Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-04-2014, 06:47 PM

if homeless people get arrested just for the three hots and a cot, think bears do the same?

Email Punk

http://lastdrifteffort.blogspot.com
Old 07-05-2014, 12:33 PM

Bear population is up in the Smokys and surrounding areas I have heard. A guide in a fly shop I go to told me last year they saw more bears in one months than they had seen in the last few years.

Thanks for the post on the friendly bear?

I guess its friendly until you are mauled by it.

That reminds me of a funny story I heard growning up. A woman tourist was feeding a friendly bear cookies in the GSMNP. She was feeding the bear by hand, when she ran out of cookies the bear took her by the hand dragging her into the woods 100 yards and mauled her to death. The End.

Moral of the story was "Don't Feed the Bears"

Last edited by imnohero; 07-05-2014 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: "Don't Feed the Bears"
Old 07-05-2014, 07:22 PM

Smile

From my knowledge there have only been 2 reports of people dying East of the Mississippi from a bear so I think your story about the tourist might have been a old wives tale . That being said I haven't seen this many closures in a long time and would pay WAY more attention right now than I normally do. The Park service closed Gregory's bald last week after a dozen incidents of interactions with bears trying to feed on the wild cherries. Plus lots of campsites are closed that hardly ever get bear closures. With the mast failure (no acorns) last year, food is just now starting to appear, and when bears get hungry....
Old 07-05-2014, 07:27 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post

I just got an e-mail from the Park Service. The bear has been trapped. It fell for the bacon trick. The little fella weighs 55 pounds.

Byron
I don't think that was the right bear. They should have been looking for this guy

I think this one was bigger than 55 pounds
Old 07-06-2014, 08:13 AM

Hey Ducky,

I guess they got the wrong bear. Where did you run into this one?

Byron
Old 07-06-2014, 12:18 PM

Byron that is the bear that I told you about.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:18 PM

Dang Kris,

I guess I've been hearing too many bear stories lately. I didn't think yours was BIG! The little bear was trapped at the confluence of Lynn Camp and Thunderhead, I think.

I heard yesterday campsite 18 is closed due to bear problems. A fisherman was going to fish up from the road to the campsite, then re-considered after reading a warning sign.

Byron
Old 07-31-2014, 02:29 PM

In the past 10 years there has been 4 black bear attacks in the Eastern part of the US. 1 in Cherokee and 1 in GSMNP 1.5 miles upstream from Elkmont! It was the first fatal attack in the GSM park. A mother and her cub partially consumed a man. It's reported they were both shot while hovering over the mans body.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_vanfossen View Post
In the past 10 years there has been 4 black bear attacks in the Eastern part of the US. 1 in Cherokee and 1 in GSMNP 1.5 miles upstream from Elkmont! It was the first fatal attack in the GSM park. A mother and her cub partially consumed a man. It's reported they were both shot while hovering over the mans body.
I believe you mean cherokee national forest - a child

Above elkmont it was a woman

There's plenty of info about both attacks online
Old 07-31-2014, 04:06 PM

This is all I could find online

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._North_America

Elora Petrasek, 6, female April 13, 2006 Wild Cherokee National Forest, Tennessee A bear attacked the family at a waterfall near a campground. Petrasek's mother and brother were also injured. The bear was trapped and killed, and an unrelated bear was mistakenly killed

Glenda Ann Bradley, 50, female May 21, 2000 Wild Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee Bradley was attacked and partially consumed by a mother bear and a cub, 1.5 miles (2.4 km) upstream from Elkmont, Tennessee. It was the first fatal bear attack in a southeastern U.S. National Park. While hovering over Bradley's corpse, the bears were shot and killed by park rangers

There is always a bear bell and a can of bear spray.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...3Bcat104479380