Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-31-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
Thanks for posting. Interesting data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
I believe you mean cherokee national forest - a child

Above elkmont it was a woman

There's plenty of info about both attacks online
As I typed and will type again= 1 in Cherokee and 1 above Elkmont. Thanks for your gender correction, very important.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:49 PM

I was fishing Elkmont last Thursday and decided to head up to the Old Elkmont Cemetary afterward. Took the dirt road up and noticed there is a baited bear trap set below the cemetary not far from the road. Maybe another problem bear??
Old 08-04-2014, 02:20 PM

Supposedly, one was in the group campground at elkmont this past weekend.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Supposedly, one was in the group campground at elkmont this past weekend.

Fished Elkmont late afternoon/early evening Sunday (last night) poster up at trailhead entrance near Spence cabin as you enter Little River trail, "warning aggresive bear activity"; park web page shows these campsite areas (Backcountry Campsites 13, 18, 21, 24) as closed for bear activity #24 is just past the Goshen Prong split on Little River trail. Take no chances smear peanut butter on your fishing partner when they are not looking!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Last edited by bigsur; 08-04-2014 at 03:42 PM..
Old 08-04-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
Fished Elkmont late afternoon/early evening Sunday (last night) poster up at trailhead entrance near Spence cabin as you enter Little River trail, "warning aggresive bear activity"; park web page shows these campsite areas (Backcountry Campsites 13, 18, 21, 24) as closed for bear activity #24 is just past the Goshen Prong split on Little River trail. Take no chances smear peanut butter on your fishing partner when they are not looking!
Hey BigSur, why do you have that pork chop duct-taped to your back
Old 08-10-2014, 09:43 AM

I'm certainly no expert on the bear situation in the park, so take this FWIW. But I spent a lot of time in the park this summer since my girl was doing research in the Cove. I was amazed by the amount of bears around...I saw them walking by her cabin every time I was there...which is saying something.

I was even more surprised by the stories of campers feeding the bears and reckless behavior that keeps the bears hanging out in the campgrounds. Its an odd situation in there...it seems like common sense is suspended once people enter the park...its no longer nature; its almost like a zoo that you're a part of. I saw a man get out of his minivan and walk 5' away from a bear to take pics of it and its cub, and heard many stories from workers there of equally stupid activities.

Not sure how that culture can be changed..the park is trying to tell people that these animals can be dangerous, but it doesn't seem like tourists are listening. People are acting in a way that encourages the bears to hang around and not be afraid of people. The bean bag guns scare them away, but they come right back.

As a side note, 3 cubs were killed this summer by tourists cars (that I heard of).