Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-05-2014, 10:13 PM

Question Cosby Area?

We will be staying in the Cosby Area towards the end of this month. And the place we will be staying is right on the Pigeon River. I was wondering how the fishing is over there? My 9 year old is all about fishing right now, which I am obviously trying to encourage as much as possible, and I am hoping he will have a great time fishing there.

thanks in advance,
hNt
Old 07-05-2014, 10:43 PM

The Pigeon River, aka "The Dirty Bird", is quite polluted by Champion Paper in NC, has been for 100 years now, and is not safe to fish or swim.

http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/mag...is-still-foul/

It certainly will not support trout. I know a woman who lived next to the river and they saw all sorts of other fish - often with deformities, etc.

As for the Cosby area, Cosby Creek is fun, but fish are small and casting is tight. If you want a bit bigger water, drive 10 minutes up to the Little Pigeon River (Greenbrier).

Last edited by HuskerFlyFisher; 07-05-2014 at 11:18 PM..
Old 07-06-2014, 05:10 PM

hungNtree,

I fish the Cosby creek area almost once a week. Please email me at: dylanvol@yahoo.com and I will answer any questions you may have.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

If I'm not mistaken, I know quite a few people who fish the dirty bird...the pigeon is often called that by kayakers and rafters only for the smell of the water as it comes out below the dam. It is safe to wade...as rafting companies and kayakers use this river daily. It is also chock full if small mouth (some of which are large) , walleye, and up by the dam trout are often caught "by accident". With a spinning rod use tube jigs in water melon color w an 1/8 ounce jig head and a 3 in rapala. The tube is all you really need tho. Fly rod I'd go with clousers...white or black
Old 07-07-2014, 08:53 AM

I also agree with 2weight. My uncle fishes the pigeon at Hartford very often. He uses wooly buggers and catches smallmouth and very large trout. I can also say that the pigeon is safe to wade in Newport, where I have caught smallmouth. But, if you wade below the power house: BE SURE THAT WATER IS NOT BEING RELEASED FROM THE POWERHOUSE OR YOU COULD EASILY DROWN!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:37 AM

I'm confused. The cabin we will be staying at is on highway 321. Which when you look at on google maps says it's on the pigeon river, but when you zoom in far enough it says Cosby creek I'm hoping it's the creek but I'm not sure. I guess I need to call the cabin rental company. Which by the way is Cosby creek cabins. Thanks for all of your help though guys.

hNt
Old 07-07-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
I'm confused. The cabin we will be staying at is on highway 321. Which when you look at on google maps says it's on the pigeon river, but when you zoom in far enough it says Cosby creek I'm hoping it's the creek but I'm not sure. I guess I need to call the cabin rental company. Which by the way is Cosby creek cabins. Thanks for all of your help though guys.

hNt
If 321 is the road I'm thinking of (there are about 12 different names for every road in cosby ) then it could be near the confluence of cosby creek and "da bird", which is great smallie water.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:

hNt
I'll bet a nickel you're staying on Cosby creek. I've seen the exact map you're referring to that incorrectly has CC labeled "Pigeon River".

I'll bet another nickel you're staying in one of my cabins - they are each on Cosby Creek.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFlyFisher View Post

I'll bet another nickel you're staying in one of my cabins - they are each on Cosby Creek.
Whispering Creek? Yep it's on Cosby creek. It's even listed that way on the website if you read it close enough LOL. Which obviously I did not. So, back to my original worry, is it a good place for kids to fish?

Last edited by hungNtree; 07-07-2014 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: Cause I didn't read close enough
Old 07-07-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Whispering Creek? Yep it's on Cosby creek. It's even listed that way on the website if you read it close enough LOL. Which obviously I did not. So, back to my original worry, is it a good place for kids to fish?
Whispering Creek...not mine, but sure sounds nice! Yes, Cosby Creek outside the park is good fishing IF your cabin is in a private area. They stock CC heavily outside the park.

If your cabin is in a more public area, CC gets fished out by the locals pretty quickly after the stockings.

If you are fly fishing for the stockers, nymphs and terrestrials (black ants) beneath the water 2-3 feet are going to work best. I fished behind my cabin last week and caught plenty, but no fish ever rose for a dry fly.

If your son is just learning, you can put some "persuasion" (corn) on that fly hook and definitely catch some more.