Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-07-2014, 11:34 PM

Default Shillalah creek ky brook trout

i am unable to go to the smokies when i want so this evening i got away for alittle bit and took off to shillalah creek. its close to the house and not that bad of a walk, but the then again i am from here and used to walking up hill. it is a good hike i can make it to the wma sign without stopping from there it gets real steep.

first fish of the day, para ant, crystal clear pool and second pass through i watched the rise and take, it appeared out of nowhere

all the pools are like this, just hard to get to, have NO FEAR OF SNAKES and be part mountain goat

the new wma sign, i miss the old one

the deeper pools i used a sz 14 bh prince, second fish, in the fast riffles i saw probaly the same little yellow mayfly i saw in the smokies, still dont know what it was, switched to yellow adams, i still love the ant for big slow pools you can twitch it alittle and boom

you could try a bigger rod but i have went with a 6ft 2wt, i even could cast from one rock to next pool, just missed that fish lol, don't know how i would got him back in the pool anyways without throwing him, the wading stick was an awesome hiking stick and brush/snake beater

my fathernlaw would not go with me because of the snakes, lol

water has made a perfect bowl in a rock, seen it rock hopping/rock climbing/fishin lol

i would have kept all this a secret but it took me years to find where and how to fish here (go back one of my early posts), the state advertises it, but the tricks to get to the water and where to hide from fish takes awhile. i dont think many fish it or when they see what they have to do to get to the water will try so i am posting this. if anybody wants to try it i would happy to go with you, this is not your walk out in a creek and cast type place and the fish are really spooky, but i saw plenty of small fish and the water is in good shape, you just have to be in good shape to get there. to most it would be just a one time thing, caught one less go somewhere else, to me it has become a place to recharge, so if you go take care of the place

Last edited by dalerio; 07-09-2014 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: had same fish pic twice
Old 07-07-2014, 11:55 PM

something from a local paper i found, the fish have been there atleast as long as i have been alive lol

Hike-in-and-hike-out fishing for brook trout in two wilderness streams in Cumberland Gap National Historical Park will be available this summer, according to Fish and Wildlife Com- missioner Arnold Mitchell. Brook trout, incidentally, are to me.the best tasting fish In American waters. The regulation regarding the Cumberland Gap Park fishing, fishing in the portions of Shillalah creek and Martin's Fork creek lying wholly in the park, for the period May 15 through September 15, 1972. Size limit on the brook trout, stocked by the National Park Service and the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, is 12 inches, with a daily possession limit of two. Fishermen may use only artificial baits. This should offer a challenge to some of our ardent fishermen. Brook trout are not easy to catch, even under the best of conditions.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:37 AM

Great post dalerio. That is a nice area to fish, if you can tolerate the snakes. Not just any snakes, but copperheads everywhere.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:54 AM

Cool little spot you've got there. Thanks for the report.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:03 AM

Great looking place that you won't have to worry about me visiting. Do the brookies reproduce on the stream?

Grumpy
Old 07-09-2014, 03:16 PM

yes, they sure do. the national park says they are not in the park anymore. i saw lots of small fish (spooking them lol). at one time i thought they where stocked in the 80's but further research the cgnp stocked them for sport in the late 60's early 70's. the part in the park is very small but no fishing in park, i think they are still there but park says they are not.

shillalah creek is the reason i fly fish, a long time ago i watched a ky afield where they took a governor there and i thought i would like to do that. i wish i had a copy of the video but it was burned into my mind. that was 20 years ago, i learned to cast a fly rod, learned to catch fish in local creeks, then about 10 years ago caught my first trout on fly rod, they stock a local creek and i caught a holdover, from there i was hooked on trout,

i found this forum and sought to learn everything i could to catch a brookie in shillalah, alot of sneaking on walkers camp prong and i caught one then with what i learned i caught a squib at shillalah.

i forgot to mention the creek starts behind my great grandfathers house at hensley settlement.

creek in the park part

this was right before the sign, what looked like a campsite or i think where the stocked the fish

i am gonna make sure it dont take my younguns 20 years to be able to catch one. elijah caught a wild bow by himself this last vacation and helped my niece catch one, elijah jerked his up into a rhodo lol savanah needed help with the hookset, just need get them some felt had to pack them from spot to spot

still looking for a wild brown, but i have awhile and it keeps the drive a going, hopefully when the boys get bigger we can do more fishing in the smokies
Old 07-09-2014, 03:26 PM

for the record there is alot more places around here where fish could be stocked for sport and reproduce themselves but part of the states rules is it must be public water, the major landowners hold these properties for coal mining and now gas/oil production and i think want to keep it the way it is. only problem is all the gas company trucks going in the holler is from outta state and all the money made here leaves here, where as fishing would leave some here. but times are changing with the demise of coal the county is looking a adventure tourism, elk hunting,and maybe trout fishing someday, but they gotta do something or this place will dry up, the ny times says the only way to make it in se ky is to leave........................
Old 07-09-2014, 10:53 PM

Thank You Sir for getting the children out there! Looks like ya'll could use a little rain to.

Grumpy
Old 08-05-2014, 10:39 PM

Those are some decent size native brook trout. One of my favorite places to fish is a small brook trout stream in central Wisconsin. I'm surprised how fast those little brookies grab your fly. There's no way you can yank it away from, but, then gain why would you?