Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-08-2014, 02:10 PM

Talking Greetings! Planning a trip to fly fish the smokies!

Greetings everyone!

I'm planning a trip to come and fish the park at the end of Aug. I have a few generic questions that I'm sure you get all the time, hahah.

Waters
I'd like to fish the quietest and freshest waters possible (don't we all). Where would you suggest I begin (I only have two days). I know that's asking a lot and with that said I'm not afraid to put in the foot time that it may take to get to said areas. This is going to be a solo trip and I'd really like to make it as peaceful as possible.

Gear/Fly selection
I've read a lot on here and otherwise about gear/preparation. What's your personal opinion on waders for the area? I was planning on packing a rain jacket and wading boots only and wet wading. Is this a silly option or should I lug along my chest waders?

I plan on dropping by the shop and picking up a dozen or so flies based upon recommendations at the time (very late Aug), however, I tie as well so I was looking for some current recommendations as to what would be good to start stock piling (pattern/general size would be awesome).

BEERS!!!
After a long day of fly fishing there's nothing better than a couple of ice cold ones. I'm a huge fan of Microbrews and like trying new beers every chance that I get (responsibly....most of the time ). Any good recs on local watering holes?

I'm sure I've left a lot out and will continue to add to this thread as I get a chance/think of things. In the meantime I really appreciate any responses and/or reccomendations I may get.

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-08-2014, 02:50 PM

Where are you staying? (That will influence answers some)

As far a stream selection, it will really depend on water levels, but assuming they are good, go for smaller streams and plan on doing some hiking and you should have no trouble finding peace and seclusion. Do you have any particular areas you are looking at?

I wet wade year round and always (try to remember to) bring a rain jacket. Esp if the air is getting cooler by then, a rain shower in the back country can be a bad thing even in warm weather.

End of August should still be yellow dries, maybe transitioning to orange. I usually am still using a yellow neversink that time of year.

Beers! Always good. Depending in where you are there are plenty if good options!
Old 07-08-2014, 03:07 PM

Awesome information!

I'm not even sure where I'm staying yet. I figured I'd throw this thread up, check out the food/beer recs and go from there. I've visited, Maybe p forge depending on traffic that type of year or Gatlinburg. Since I'm traveling alone I don't require a 5 star hotel hahaha. I figured finding a place to sleep wouldn't be too daunting.

Looking to book on a Thursday-Sat or so.

I'm very flexible on area that I'll stay at.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:13 PM

I would not stay in P Forge or Gatlinburg. Stay in Townsend. Those first two are like being in a riot.

Last edited by silvercreek; 07-08-2014 at 03:42 PM..
Old 07-08-2014, 03:38 PM

If craft beer is important, you might consider somewhere between Cataloochee & Cherokee (NC). Waynesville has a few new small breweries, and the local grocery stores will have a MUCH better beer selection than anywhere in Tennessee.

NDuncan gave you some pretty good info on fishing. Although I don't wet wade Dec-Feb. Like he said, if you want solitude, plan on hiking, probably far. The park can be a busy place, especially in the fall.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:13 PM

Go to the homepage of this forum and click on the window for planning you trip to see the places available.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:03 PM

Waters:
Pretty easy. Just find a stream that isn't roadside and you can hike back 2 miles. You should be able to get away from 90% of the people. JoeFred from this board has some awesome maps. Look into them.

Flies:
Caddis flies, yellow and orange (12,14,16); parachute Adams, yellow and grey (12,14,16); bead head pheasant tail (10,16); tellico nymph (14,; olive slump buster.

Beers:
I'll drink whatever your buying with minimal complaints.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:05 PM

Size 8 instead of a
Old 07-08-2014, 09:24 PM

All awesome replies so far and each one is greatly appreciated.

Townsend looks like a very nice area. I will likely give that a whirl.

Buzz, I'm into microbrews but if someone else is buying I'm not quite as picky lol. Free is for me. Lol.

Thanks again guys.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
I would not stay in P Forge or Gatlinburg. Stay in Townsend. Those first two are like being in a riot.
Unless he is into traffic jams, tattoo parlors, T-shirt stores, arcades, and chain restaurants....

Highly advise Townsend over G-burg or PF. Only time I would consider staying in G-burg is in February or March, rest of the time it is not worth it. However, the beer part will probably be more difficult in Townsend than most other areas you could choose.

Also agree with Buzz's recommendations. #1 reason I have learned why out-of-towners have trouble catching fish is that most of them are fishing right beside the road. Put some wear on those soles and walk at least a mile, maybe two and you will find the fishing is vastly greater.

In August, wet wading is the only way to go!

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler