Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-09-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Unless he is into traffic jams, tattoo parlors, T-shirt stores, arcades, and chain restaurants....

Highly advise Townsend over G-burg or PF. Only time I would consider staying in G-burg is in February or March, rest of the time it is not worth it. However, the beer part will probably be more difficult in Townsend than most other areas you could choose.

Also agree with Buzz's recommendations. #1 reason I have learned why out-of-towners have trouble catching fish is that most of them are fishing right beside the road. Put some wear on those soles and walk at least a mile, maybe two and you will find the fishing is vastly greater.

In August, wet wading is the only way to go!
Awesome.

I may bring my own micros and a cooler/ice for the hotel. I will likely be tying flies at night with a travel vise. I can partake there haha.

I have no problem hiking in, in fact I'd prefer it as I love backpacking in general anyway.

I can't wait and am as antsy as a kid awaiting summer vacation hahah.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Unless he is into traffic jams, tattoo parlors, T-shirt stores, arcades, and chain restaurants...!
You left out indoor sky diving, put put golf, and outlet malls.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:26 PM

I would recommend cosby creek in cosby campground ONLY if you are looking for easily accessible brookies. I have only seen one other fisherman there. The stream is VERY tight so please consider that. Shoot me am email at dylanvol@yahoo.com for info on cosby and I'll help you as best as I can. Also little river above elkmont campground is AWESOME fishing but often crowded.

Flies: 12-14 parachute Adams, 12 green weenie, 14-16 neversink caddis, and a 12 pink weenie for cosby brookies.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:54 PM

P Forge. H*** with a water slide.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:51 PM

Default Read the tips section on the LRO Home Page Also

If you are not familiar with the streams in the smokies, read through the tips section on the LRO home page.

Good luck and enjoy the trip
Mike
Old 07-09-2014, 04:52 PM

Townsend is quieter but it generates a lot of tubers in the local waters of the Little River..best water is Tremont but it gets a lot of traffic along the road into that area.
Get off the main drag of Gburg and you can find some inexpensive motels...get up early, drive up to the Chimney's picnic area and head back down the mountain...at the first paved pull off aka quiet walkway hike down to the W Prong of Little Pigeon...while you may hear cars on occasion you can get in there and think you are miles from nowhere. You can also drive over to Elkmont, park above the campground and take the Little River Trail up Huskey Gap trail...high bridge with a long fishy pool on the right...I like the previously mentioned flies along with a para adams and EHC...if you fish the WPLP there are some big pools over there...don't be afraid to throw some large para MadamXs in these pools...and there is an ale house in upper part of the Burg that has a large selection of beer.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:19 PM

I would hit the little shoe. Abram's creek is a must fish in my opinion, if you are staying in Townsend.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:55 PM

Wow. You guys have virtually given me everything I needed. Thanks a ton for going above and beyond. Very appreciative and humbled.

Thanks for your time.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:25 PM

lcculus, consider our $1 PDF download "GSM Main Streams Orientation Map" http://www.saintclairmapping.com/downloads/index.html and download the free the official Park Trail Map and Guide from http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...ULY13-full.pdf

Or for max help finding water by species, outfitters, tourist info and more AND to help out the Park, consider
http://shop.smokiesinformation.org/p...SB-Flash-Drive

Enjoy your Smokies, lcculus

Thanks, Buzz
Old 07-13-2014, 09:08 AM

I'm going against the crowd here to say that when I go down for a fishing trip by myself or with a friend, I stay in down town Gatlinburg. I stay at a cheap fleabag downtown, all I need is a hot shower and a beer fridge. Most hotels have free parking, getting out in the morning is a piece of cake, you will only face the traffic jam coming back in the evening. You can walk to any restaurant or watering hole you like. Head east to fish Greenbrier or Cosby creek, head south up the mountain to fish Chimney tops or cross over to the NC side, or head west out to the Little River prongs.

PS: Buzz mentioned the indoor skydiving in PF, that place is great, back in my jumping days I used to go there a lot, but now I just fish!
Thanks
Tad